NOW READING

I've recently been reading the Bond novels, Moonraker was the last one I read. Forever And A Day sounds interesting, would you recommend?

Yes, it's a good read. It's the 2nd Bond book he's done. His first was called Trigger Mortis and was set after Goldfinger.

The Lord of the Rings, by J.R.R. Tolkien. Hadn't re-read it for years.
Frodo just did something very stupid at The Prancing Pony :eek:

I haven't read it but I love the film version of The Fellowship for its amazing shots, including this one from the Pony.

40926404f8fd7b91a4e517c3f8a5dfd7.png

I'm interested in reading House of Leaves but no libraries nor stores have it here. I'm thinking of ordering from Amazon.

Can anyone guess where that's from btw:
"Through ancient enchantments a company of nine yields. [...] Although we are alive, we are dead."

Because he writes his books on the same pattern with similar twists and focused on a never-aging professor who seem to attract all the world's evil? Or is it something else?
All that, of course, but also because his books are always 200 pages too long. And because in Origin he started a build-up from page 1 whose anti-climax I could smell from miles away, but he made it even more pathetic that I had expected. And because he's a coward who wants to please believers and atheists alike. And mostly because Robert Langdon is the most unrealistic character in literature since Peter Pan.

Actually revisiting Stephen King's The Stand.

Used be a big King fan, but got away when his books began running together.

I'm interested in reading House of Leaves but no libraries nor stores have it here. I'm thinking of ordering from Amazon.

You should. That book is scary as hell in a very psychological and creepy sense. The formatting tricks (different colors and fonts, text spinning on the page, or in other bizarre shapes, etc) make this a book you will want a new copy of, not something that has been pawed over at the library. Enjoy!

I just finished Haruki Murakami's newest, Killing Commendatore. I have read all of his books over the past 20 years and this probably one of my least favorites of his. The writing style almost seems lazy here, lots of repetition and underdeveloped plot/characters. The book jacket and many reviews mention it as an homage to The Great Gatsby, but I didn't really get that. I did get a bit of a Lolita vibe from it. It was a very easy read (681 pages flew by), but it felt like a very minor work, despite the bulk.

Back