NOW READING

I re-read all of the Harry Potter books. I read the first five multiple times when I was younger, but I didn't remember much from last two cause I read them only once or twice. I'm 21, but I think I liked the series even more now than I liked it at 10 when I read the first few books.

I think I might read the series from start to finish this summer.
I read the fifth book to my youngest daughter to get her interested in reading (it worked).
I finished the series, but never read the first few.

I think I might read the series from start to finish this summer.
I read the fifth book to my youngest daughter to get her interested in reading (it worked).
I finished the series, but never read the first few.

In 7th grade I got a classmate into reading by showing him page 114 from Disclosure :D

I think Harry Potter, unlike Twilight, will stand the test of time, because as much as I hate the whole premise of the story... I can't deny they are well written with great characters.

I re-read all of the Harry Potter books. I read the first five multiple times when I was younger, but I didn't remember much from last two cause I read them only once or twice. I'm 21, but I think I liked the series even more now than I liked it at 10 when I read the first few books.

Truly great series. The storytelling is no short of masterful - Harry Potter is an exceptional piece of writing. We may get another commercial success like Twilight in the few years to come - because people do need them - but I doubt we will get another of this caliber anytime soon.

I have had plans to revisit Harry Potter (and also The Lord of the Rings) for a year or so now. It was the two works that got me interested in reading, so I am a bit curious to see how they look from my "much more advanced reader's perspective" (not that I have any doubt I will enjoy them).

But then I have also put off reading for a couple of months for focusing on playing the guitar in my spare time - which means that my shelf is full of un-read books, including three Haruki Murakami, quatro Stephen King and a whole lot of other. It is sometimes hard to choose between re-reading or reading new. Especially if you'd happen to read the wrong one.

I have had plans to revisit Harry Potter (and also The Lord of the Rings) for a year or so now. It was the two works that got me interested in reading, so I am a bit curious to see how they look from my "much more advanced reader's perspective" (not that I have any doubt I will enjoy them).

When I read the Hobbit in high school I was an avid reader and I still found it slow and boring. When I reread it because of the movie I was surprised by how... simple it actually was. I breezed through it in a matter of days. I think you might find yourself in a similar situation.

I always found The Hobbit easy to read, but LOTR was a different matter completely when I was about 10/11, it took forever to get into it. Sadly, I've never been able to get into Harry Potter at all.

When I read the Hobbit in high school I was an avid reader and I still found it slow and boring. When I reread it because of the movie I was surprised by how... simple it actually was. I breezed through it in a matter of days. I think you might find yourself in a similar situation.

I was 11 when I read The Lord of the Rings, and that is almost 10 years ago, so I'm curious to find out.

I picked up China Miéville's Railsea this week, so I'm reading that one now.

Finished reading a storm of swords last week in time to see the crazy shit that happened last week in game of thrones and tomorrow for the season finale. Can't wait!(bart scott voice)

Finished reading a storm of swords last week in time to see the crazy shit that happened last week in game of thrones and tomorrow for the season finale. Can't wait!(bart scott voice)

There's been exactly the kind of reaction to the episode I and other readers expected, at least in social media around me. Too me, it was old news - but that makes it fun to watch. Not a big fan of George R.R. Martin and A Song of Ice and Fire in general though.

I'm a big fan of British crime fiction, currently reading Simon Brett's "The Body on the Beach". I prefer the books he wrote before "The Fethering Mysteries", but I still have yet to come across a Brett book that doesn't deserve 4 stars.

I'm a big fan of British crime fiction, currently reading Simon Brett's "The Body on the Beach". I prefer the books he wrote before "The Fethering Mysteries", but I still have yet to come across a Brett book that doesn't deserve 4 stars.

I don't read much crime. Here in Sweden, the crime/detective genre or "deckare" as we call it seem to take up 90% of the shelves in the stores. Swedish ones, like Stieg Larsson, Henning Mankell and Camilla Läckberg; and British like Elizabeth George and the likes. I am not sure if this is a local trend.

I have, of course, read Stieg Larsson which I can perfectly understand the success of, but I am more a fan of reading stuff like fantasy and sci-fi. I'd be willing to try a crime-novel if it seems to stand out from the crowd though. China Miéville's well received The City & The City is a crime novel that is quite different.

It's the summer, and I like me a good bit of well-written, but fluffy supernatural fantasy/action...so I'm rereading Jim Butcher's Dresden Files series before picking up the most recent book. I'm currently on Small Favor.

It's basically an adult Harry Potter mixed with some Joss Whedon-esque characters and storytelling, as told from the perspective of a modern noir detective. A cracking good summer read.

Currently, I'm reading The Guns of the South, by Harry Turtledove. A very interesting alt-history book, with a really cool sci-fi twist. The basic premise is that members of Afrikaner Weestandsbeweging obtain a time machine and head back to 1864, equipping the Confederate States with AK-47s to defeat the North, hoping they will be able to create a white supremacist superpower that will ally with Apartheid-ruled South Africa in the 1980s.

I am reading Serena Williams book at the moment. Borrowed from the Library because i enjoyed watching the Tennis. Although i think i only bothered about it because there was no football.

So, reading you say...

Well, I'm currently reading The Private Memoirs & Confessions of a Justified Sinner by James Hogg. Hogg is Scottish (I don't actually read that much stuff by Scottish authors, altho' Scottish myself) & lived in the late 18th/early 19th century. It was originally published in the 1820's I think. Interesting stuff --part of my reading (& collecting) of early weird/fantastic fiction, which started with the Gothic.

Last edited:
Back