NOW READING

Recently finished reading Next by Michael Crichton. It was a very interesting read, well written, although the ending was a little naive and optimistic where the rest of the book was extremely realistic and critical of the human nature. It almost felt like the author was compelled in the last couple of chapters to make up for this and give it all a "happy ending". Anyway, if any of you are at all interested in biotech, genetics, etc. then I definitely recommend this book. Some parts were in fact chillingly accurate and this is coming from someone who has had a small glimpse into the world of things like proteomics, genomics, etc. Some stuff is off course over the top, but not to the extent that one might initially think. All in all, a very good read, not too long, easy, although highly thought-provoking.

Next was HORRIBLE! What a mess of a book. Prey was MUCH better, reminiscent of The Andromeda Strain with the pacing of Jurassic Park. Next was disorganized, cliched and with such a crappy story, Crichton's crappy writing was hard to ignore. For Good Crichton books: Timeline, Disclosure, Sphere, Jurassic Park, Lost World and Prey. Rising Sun is ok, but the aforementioned ones are by far a good time.

I used to read lots of novels, in fact, I was finishing a novel per day for three or four years. Reading and writing has always been the focal point of my life since the day I learned to read and write. (I was about 3 and a half years old when I did so, actually) Sadly, I lost my will to read novels properly in recent years, though I'm always a keen follower of articles and encylopedic materials.

Anyway I've recently decided to return to my roots and start reading novels again. I finally had the chance to read Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell today. I started and finished it in the same day and avoided the sleep because of it, which is good news for me. :D

I knew I was a fan of dystopias, even though I didn't really had the chance to read dystopian novels at all. Dystopian approach to writing has always been with me, though. Nineteen Eighty-Four is probably the greatest novel I've ever read so far.

The double meaning caused by the pronunciation of the words utopia and eutopia leads to an interesting thought. The words can mean "good place" or "no place". Dystopia is a term that is used to describe "anti-utopia" therefore it's the opposite of good place, which makes obvious sense, but it also is an opposite of no place, which means the dystopian world is utter reality, the real world.

I'm going to approach the book from the situation in my native country, Turkey. The government is parliamentary republic here, but in recent years, that term really is just on paper. After AKP, led by Recep Tayyip Erdoğan took the office back in 2003, the country has been going into a territory of being ruled in a totalitarian system. The president (Abdullah Gül) is basically ineffective. He's been the president for five years now and I think there's only one or two bills that he has vetoed so far. AKP designs the constitutions, president approves and there you go. With the constitutional referandum that took place back in 2010, the people simply approved the path that leads to the ineffectiveness of the law. (by giving the chance to the government to lead the assignments) The seperation of powers has dissolved. Legislature, executive and judiciary belongs to the leading party. (even though it's not on paper) The health, the education policies are horrible. The agriculturalists all have a hard time. Importation is far higher than exportation, even though Turkey is a rich country in natural sources. The people are unhappy, the people who support the government are happy, because they simply don't know the truth, they're ignorant and just like in the book, they're brainwashed to love the government.

In this totalitarian system, it's not hard to find similarities between Oceania and Turkey. The country is basically a puppet of the United States, which probably I can call as the Big Brother in this situation. (although I'm not sure about that, because we all know that the one who's leading United States is not Barack Obama and the actual government) The Turkish government is the outer party, which is consisted of people who only works the inner party and losts their power when they betray and the majority of the population are the proles. Although there's a slight difference here, even though the people are being treated like the proles in the book, they actually have a right to vote, because of the system that is on the paper. But still, I don't think the "inner party" wouldn't allow the party the people select if they aren't on their side. There's lots of controversies going on in Turkish elections : for instance, a close relative from my family was an attendant in one of the ballot boxes in the 2011 elections, there was 4 AKP representatives and just 1 representative of the contrariety. From what I heard they force retarded people and the old people to vote for AKP, no need to talk about details, though.

Back to my point, the novel was published in 1949. There were telescreens on the book, there are security cameras, access to everyone through internet and eavesdropping now. The rules were harsh, there was no right no act against the ruler, the same now. Maybe John Stuart Mill did coin the word dystopia by thinking "the real world" instead of "the bad world". Who knows.

Read last week:
Thierry Serfaty - Tomorrow is another life -> Good book, but I didn't like the ending + the text on the back cover made me think it's science-fiction but it wasn't :mad:
William Gladstone - Twelve -> Wow, this one sucked on so many levels. It's a big pile of crap. Also advertised as action/science-fiction but it wasn't :mad:

Queued:
Seth Grahame-Smith - Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter
Simon Toyne - The Key
Stephen King - The Stand

Completed The Iron Heel by Jack London yesterday. What a fine read it was. Ernest Everhard has quickly became one of my favorite characters of all time, even though he was "utopic" so to speak.

I'm now on to Lord of the Flies by William Golding, a book which I've been very curious about.

The Praise of Folly, as an assignment of school. So far I've liked the book, its entertaining hehe. And before that one I read The Prague Cemetery by Umberto Eco, excellent book mocking european philosophy of life and all the conspirations that "have been" in history. Highly recommend it.

I read it in school when I was 16. I hated it.

Were you forced to read it ? Being forced to read something really kills the interest of a book. I remember how I was forced to read My Left Foot by Christy Brown by school. I hated it, but my mom who also read the book loved it and told me to give it a second chance and it was a pretty nice book, actually.

I was also forced to read Lord of the Flies and it is one of my favourite books of all time. In fact, my three favourite books were ones I read in English class. Four if you include the Scottish Play.

The Praise of Folly, as an assignment of school. So far I've liked the book, its entertaining hehe. And before that one I read The Prague Cemetery by Umberto Eco, excellent book mocking european philosophy of life and all the conspirations that "have been" in history. Highly recommend it.
I LOVE Umberto Eco. Next time I go to Mexico I should pick up more of his books. I feel more comfortable with a translation from Italian to Spanish than Italian to English.

I was also forced to read Lord of the Flies and it is one of my favourite books of all time. In fact, my three favourite books were ones I read in English class. Four if you include the Scottish Play.
Agreed. One of the things I liked about High school over Middle school, the reading assignments were actually worth while.

Forced on a secondary school (or high school whatever) to read a specific book while there are so many options.
A dated dogmatic approach in the 21st century.

I am glad I could choose. Naturally the teachers had to approve it, but we're talking about the early nineties.

I wasn't happy with my teacher because he rejected Lord of the Rings, one of the books I picked. I knew there was a chance because it was the fantasy genre, but it's a lengthy work (and I had already read it ;-). I am pretty sure it's accepted on the English school booklists now, at least in my country.

In my English classes at school, we could pretty much chose anything that was English, so I always chose Terry Pratchett and Douglas Adams.
Of course, we also had long lists of books that were obligatory. I thought that sucked but it turned out to be a mild breeze compared to the hundreds of books we had to read at university. :eek:

Lol here in Mexico last year we had "universal literature", so we were "reading" books from all over the world. I put the " " because the professor was the dumbest professor I've met in my whole life. He even told us that in italian Renaissance they already got cars and trains ¬¬... But the end of the year was good, we had to pick between many modern writers, mostly of them Latin-americans. Yet I chose the Little Prince lol had too much exams and class projects. This year I like more literature class, the professor is really brilliant and we read and watch good things in class, like the movie trainspotting.

Forced on a secondary school (or high school whatever) to read a specific book while there are so many options.
A dated dogmatic approach in the 21st century.
This. I remember a few years ago reading Animal Farm, a book I had read and enjoyed a couple years before, and really not liking it at school. They take the fun out of reading those books. Not to mention the pressure of reading the assigned portions on time.

It took me one month to finish reading Lord of the Flies but I've finally done it. Not that it was boring or anything in fact I really loved the book, but that I didn't have much time to read. Great read.

I don't know which book I'm going to read next, it probably will be The Grapes of Wrath.

I am currently reading The Etched City by K.J. Bishop. Haven't had much time to read for a long time though.

I've recently dove into the new-weird. Having read pretty much everything China Miéville has published earlier this year, I have moved on to the other authors considered to be of the same movement. After this one, I think I will read Jeff VanderMeer's Venice Underground. Hard to believe that I will find something that surpasses Miéville's three Bas-Lag books though. Perdido Street Station, The Scar and Iron Council is some of my favourite books that I've read.

Having read nine out of ten books in English these last 5 years or so, I think I will have to read something in Swedish soon. I feel like I must balance it up, to improve my first language too...

Having read nine out of ten books in English these last 5 years or so, I think I will have to read something in Swedish soon. I feel like I must balance it up, to improve my first language too...

I try to do the same, reading in English and Spanish, usually alternating one in each. Also, what is "The New Weird?" What are the characteristics of this genre?

Back