NOW READING

Read This is How You Lose the Time-War (2019) by Amal El-Mohtar & Max Gladstone.

Interesting and headspinning science fiction. It took a while to get going despite the novella length. The epistolary format might have something to do with that, but in the end a great read.

Also read Falling (2021) by T.J. Newman.

A thriller about a hijacked airplane post 9/11. It was okay, but is lacking in the character department. I would have liked more fleshed out characters to remember and the almost bog-standard hijacking thriller you've seen on TV countless times would maybe have risen over mediocre.

Now reading The House Across the Lake (2022) by Riley Sager.

D-Day Tank Hunter: The World War II memoirs of a frontline officer from North Africa to the bloody soil of Normandy Kindle Edition​

by Hans Hoeller (Author), Andreas Hartinger (Editor) Format: Kindle Edition
4.6 4.6 out of 5 stars 1,228 ratings

4.5 on Goodreads

595 ratings

See all formats and editions

One of the last German veterans of World War II recounts his wartime experiences - with the harrowing directness of someone who stood amid the firestorm.

Hans Hoeller joined the war in 1941 and was trained as a tank hunter. After his first assignment to North Africa he returned to Germany for officer´s training. Once again, he deployed to the desert to take part in the last battles of the Wehrmacht in Tunisia. Badly wounded in close combat, he was lucky enough to be evacuated by plane – right in time to help rebuilding 21st Panzer Division in Northern France.

Hans recounts feverishly waiting for the Allied landing. As it finally came, he saw months of intense fighting, north of Caen, in the Falaise pocket and covering the Wehrmacht`s retreat to the east. Hans` war formally ended in late 1944, when he was taking prisoner and shipped to the USA. However, the war insight him rages on to this very day. He wrote this memoire to come to terms with that time. To give a name to all those soldiers who had died next to him, under his command, or even because of his actions. He hopes that never again shall our children and grandchildren face each other in the trenches – that the bloodshed remains in the past alone.

What awaits the reader:

Never will I forget how my father came home time and again, feeling so ashamed and desperate he did not have the heart to tell my mother that he had lost yet another job. Of course, she would register and start crying. And me, the little nipper, would play around them, anxious to cheer them up. Back then I swore to myself that I would do anything to change these conditions when I grew up.

What had landed on me were the mutilated remains of my sergeant. His right side was unrecognizable. Everywhere blood streamed out of his torn-up body. We had to move away if we wanted to survive. I looked around; we were no more than ten to twelve men. Without further thinking I drew my pistol and yelled “Assault, forward!”

I was rudely awoken by somebody shaking my shoulder. I blinked and looked at my watch; it was just after midnight on 6th June 1944. My trusted runner was standing at my bedside, reporting in a low voice, “Lieutenant, sir, enemy paratroopers have landed along the coast forward of our location.” So, this was it, I thought. The enemy had finally set foot in Normandy.

About the author

Hans Hoeller was born in 1921, in Pottschach, Austria. He served as a tank hunter at Tobruk, Halfaya Pass, Tunisia, Normandy, Falaise and in Eastern France. He was awarded the Iron CrossClass I and II for his actions. After the war, Hans Hoeller became an engineer and had a successful business career.

Finished The House Across the Lake (2022) by Riley Sager.

Started out as a standard, realistic thriller the premise of which we've seen countless times and turned into I-don't-know-what. It maybe works? Entertaining, nonetheless.

Also read January Fifteenth (2022) by Rachel Swirsky.

A novella about a future in which the US has universal basic income, following various un-connected characters throughout a day. Pretty good book!

Read A Prayer for the Crown-Shy (2022) by Becky Chambers.

A solarpunk novella... or if you are wondering what the hell that means; a cozy philosophical science fiction story about a human and a robot traveling around the world in a far future setting not doing much else but talking (second part of the duology Monk & Robot).

Also read Lost and Found (2007) by Guillaume Musso.

A mystery thriller from insanely popular French author Guillaume Musso. Took me about 3 hours and while entertaining... I guess this guy is writing a lot better than Dan Brown, and I loved the way he creates dramatic tension but the big twist was one of the worst I have ever read and these kind of books stand or fall with the twist.

So for many people here English is a second language. What books would you recommend for someone learning or having a beginning grasp of English? Do you have any favorites?

I usually end up recommending anything by Louis Lowry.

So for many people here English is a second language. What books would you recommend for someone learning or having a beginning grasp of English? Do you have any favorites?

I teach high school English in Sweden, and to pass my course my students need to reach CEFR B1 level (Intermediate English) according to the national curriculum. Ready Player One by Ernest Cline for contemporary or Animal Farm by George Orwell for classics are examples of what I would teach.

However, we also have lots of Penguin Readers with adapted graded levels and I would really recommend someone to take a look on Amazon for an edited text in this or a similar edition according to their needs. That way you won't end up with a text that's too difficult. There are lots of both classics and contemporary texts with various reading levels available.

If we talk about literature, a couple of books I'd mention are: The Merchant Of Venice (by William Shakespeare) and Things Fall Apart (by Chinua Achebe). As our friend @Maturin mentioned, Penguin readers have some good literature as well as I myself studied during School time and Under-Graduation days.

News, which I find too masochistic, so I intend to go back to View attachment 35227
Wish I could read them in the original Czech language but I can't so German will have to do.
At least you can read it in German. I can't have anything beyond a basic conversation with myself about my favorite color and sport lol.

Hallo
Hallo
Wie ghets?
Gut, gut
Was ist deine leiblings Farbe?
Schwartz!

Yeah, I can read, but my written and spoken German have deteriorated immensely in the new millennium.
I spend some time in Vienna each year since 2021 and whenever I try to speak German with the locals, they switch to English after the first two or three sentences, the bastards.
(Except for people from former Yugoslavia who, after hearing me muttering to myself in Bulgarian "how the fuck do you say this in German", immediately switch to their own language and then there's a conversation).
Earlier this month, Perun was kind enough and patient enough to speak German with me for about 20 minutes or so, then I went back to English because I ran out of vocabulary.
But I keep trying.

Read An Apartment in Paris (2017) by Guillaume Musso.

Decent crime novel. Not great, not terrible - in between. Reads fast, which is a plus. After trying two books by this guy I get that he's very digestible, but I don't really see any greatness here. Might try another while in a reading slump.

You know, leaving social media (mostly Twitter and Telegram, I'm not much active elsewhere) has been quite beneficial, in the span of two weeks I have managed to finish

- Troubled Blood (Cormoran Strike #5), which I've been reading since September or so (despite me liking it very much)
- Brando Sando's Elantris, which I've been reading for about the same amount of time
- the seventh Witcher book - I've been trying to finish those for three or four years on this last attempt and I had two failed attempts previously

The first one was great, up to the level of the fourth book and maybe even better (although the ending was quite disturbing, honestly), the second was great despite its obvious flaws, the last one was... weird. I can't even begin to start describing my hate-fascination towards the (book) Witcher series.

---

Also, I've read about 10 % of Tad Williams' The Dragonbone Chair, the first installment of Memory, Sorrow and Thorn. I discovered it under the premise "see where George R R Martin got half of his ideas", but I was genuinely taken aback with the quality of his prose. Far beyond Rothfuss, I'd argue - even after reading a relatively small amount of his work - that Tad Williams might actually be the best living fantasy writer, full stop.

Last edited:
Yeah, I can read, but my written and spoken German have deteriorated immensely in the new millennium.
I spend some time in Vienna each year since 2021 and whenever I try to speak German with the locals, they switch to English after the first two or three sentences, the bastards.
(Except for people from former Yugoslavia who, after hearing me muttering to myself in Bulgarian "how the fuck do you say this in German", immediately switch to their own language and then there's a conversation).
Earlier this month, Perun was kind enough and patient enough to speak German with me for about 20 minutes or so, then I went back to English because I ran out of vocabulary.
But I keep trying.

I have spent six years studying German at the gymnasium I was attending, under a teacher who was quite brutal and strict, but whom I remember quite fondly for all the other stuff he was interested in - each time we got too ahead or there was another occasion (Christmas, jubilees), he kept talking and talking about German and Austrian culture, philosophy, geography and other fascinating stuff, sometimes not even connected with the countires at all. He was actually the bloke who gave us university-level lecture dismantling and analysing Eco's The Name of the Rose, making it one of my favourite books ever in the long run.

I hated the language then and I don't particularly like it now, but I've taken it up again, because of... say, cultural and historical importance for my region (I'm still pining a bit for the Austria-Hungary monarchy, so sue me) and because I suppose it is going to be quite useful in theology. Also, the border isn't as far away, so the language might be useful as well sometime in the future.

However, my employer is giving me free Spanish lessons with a native speaker and I've returned to French with my wife recently - needless to say those languages capture my attention much more easily as of now.

Back