NOW PLAYING

I certainly prefer "Afterglow Of Ragnarok" to "Abduction", so Mandrake is already engendering more good will vs. Tyranny Of Souls for me at this stage, and I wound up liking Tyranny a lot in the end.

18 years later I still think that Tyranny of Souls was a letdown after The Chemical Wedding. It is a solid album with some great moments, but that’s about it.

I certainly prefer "Afterglow Of Ragnarok" to "Abduction", so Mandrake is already engendering more good will vs. Tyranny Of Souls for me at this stage, and I wound up liking Tyranny a lot in the end.
As much as I like the new song, Abduction is one of my favorite solo songs of Bruce. The higher and faster chorus is what suits Bruce best. Having a long solo and instrumental section helps a lot.
18 years later I still think that Tyranny of Souls was a letdown after The Chemical Wedding. It is a solid album with some great moments, but that’s about it.
I'm the opposite. TOS is one of my top favorite albums of any artists. My only gripe is that the first song is an intro - the album has a bonus song which I appreciate, but usually I don't mind an intro if the album has more than 10 songs. And Bruce wrote 20 songs for it, like for TMP. That's why I'm not happy with the ''reworked'' version of Eternity being in it.

Nope, not even close. I would probably choose the title track.
Agreed, I’d probably go with the title track or “Kill Devil Hill”.

For me, “Devil On A Hog” doesn’t fit the tone of the album at all, and the vocal harmonies on the chorus are just sickly sweet and offputting. The verses are fine, but nothing special. They should have made it the bonus track and put “Eternal” on the album instead.

Devil on a Hog is the best track on the album.
My favorites are Abduction and Power Of The Sun.

Best songs: plus Soul Intruders, Kill Devil Hill, the title track, Navigate The Seas Of The Sun and River Of No Return.
For me, “Devil On A Hog” doesn’t fit the tone of the album at all, and the vocal harmonies on the chorus are just sickly sweet and offputting. The verses are fine, but nothing special. They should have made it the bonus track and put “Eternal” on the album instead.
Eternal should have been instead of Believil (sounds like a weak outtake from TCW, minus the instrumental riff, no solo and calm verses like for the next song) or the album's intro. I don't think that it doesn't fit at all, it certainly fits in an album with Navigate The Seas Of The Sun on it.

Back