NOW PLAYING

I've had the The Book of Souls album on repeat a while. Went a while without listening to that one. I used to think that it was a fine album, but I now think of it as a great album. Maybe not an S+ tier like Senjutsu, but definitely an A+ tier album.

Even The Great Unknown is a song that I put on a lot lately - though I still don't like that awkward pitch change at the last solo, I don't hate it anymore either.

I have grown out of the "reaction video" YouTube gimmick altogether... but not when it's hot birds gushing over Opeth. :angel:

Oh wow, this is a lovely song. I've never listened to the album it's on - would you say Tusk is good as a whole?

Oh, I absolutely love it (and wifey does so as well).

It was controversial at the time - anything would be, after the one-two punch of perfectly accessible eponymous album and Rumours, and especially something this weird, but I think it's definitely worth a listen.

What definitely hurt it was that the first single - the title track - was a tribal sounding, hypnotic, weird track with unhinged chorus and the catharsis being a yell of the title of the song and the album repeatedly

I love it, but after Rumours, this was kinda supposed to be a failure.

Buckingham's songs are mostly influenced by New Wave - these quirky, poppy, but kinda abrasive and underbaked ditties that sound like he was really trying to be edgy... but hasn't lost his hit-making touch at the same time. The title track is also his, btw, obviously.

Nicks' songs are actually some of my favourite of her whole career, apart from the one I posted, there's the wistful Sara and the really subdued, but IMHO beautiful Storms.

McVie's songs are more of a hit and miss, there's some wonderful stuff like Never Make Me Cry or Save Me a Place and some boring stuff like the album's opener Over and Over. But still worth hearing, IMHO.

Overall, it's possibly my favourite Fleetwood Mac album, but then again, I really love when bands release double albums when they don't know when to stop (GnR's Use Your Illusion, Mastodon's Hushed and Grim, Metallica's Re/Load) - I actually find that concept intriguing, as if I could find various subtle aspects of what was going through their heads when they were making it... by listening to everything, including the "lesser stuff".

1725532209458.png

Muse - Will of the People (2022)

And my deep dive into the studio albums of Muse comes to an end. I do not think I will be revisiting most of them in the future...

Back