NOW PLAYING

18de81acc565dec89f1ce0408d211c79.1000x1000x1.png

1689188942403.jpeg

I have listened to disc 1 so far. Some great stuff (The Writing on the Wall, Stratego), the worst opening song since Wildest Dreams (a shame, because Smith/Harris have produced some bangers in the past), a very good rocker (Days of Future Past), some effective recycling of past efforts to create a good song (The Time Machine), and a song that shows how The X Factor could have sounded with Bruce and Adrian in the band (Lost in a Lost World; the answer? Not a massive improvement on the mediocrity of that record).

Now waiting for disc 2, hoping that the intro for the first song is this one:

Iron Maiden - Death of the Celts

Hearing this song live has really changed my opinion of it. I'm looking forward to the eventual live album, it really came alive in the shows I saw. Makes me wonder how the remaining unplayed songs from Senjutsu would sound live. If they can convert me into thinking this song isn't dull as I originally thought, maybe they can do the same with Lost in a Lost World.

Last edited:
View attachment 28528

I have listened to disc 1 so far. Some great stuff (The Writing on the Wall, Stratego), the worst opening song since Wildest Dreams (a shame, because Smith/Harris have produced some bangers in the past), a very good rocker (Days of Future Past), some effective recycling of past efforts to create a good song (The Time Machine), and a song that shows how The X Factor could have sounded with Bruce and Adrian in the band (Lost in a Lost World; the answer? Not a massive improvement on the mediocrity of that record).

Now waiting for disc 2, hoping that the intro for the first song is this one:

Boo for me Walthastowe!!! :lol:

1689190971619.jpeg

Listening to disc 2 now. Sadly, the fucking seagulls are still there bookending what is probably the worst composition penned by Smith/Dickinson. Death of the Celts is a massive improvement, a much better version of the celtic-inspired sound than The Clansman (at least it does not repeat the chorus ad nauseam), with a superb instrumental break reminiscent of Thin Lizzy’s Black Rose. The Parchment is overlong and over repetitive (and overrated), but redeemed by some great solos. Last, but not least, the superb Hell on Earth. It could have done with some trimming of the intro and outro, as highlighted when I saw the song live last weekend, but this is probably the best song that Steve Harris has penned since the 90s (tied with For the Greater Good of God). The bit that goes

Love in anger, life in danger
Lost in anger, life in danger
Love in anger, life in danger
Lost in anger, life in danger

is so incredibly good that it makes you forget the amount of fillers that you’ve had to listen to get to that point. Steve Harris at his best! :edmetal:

Back