NOW PLAYING

Beyond_Magnetic_Cover.jpeg

Dear god.

apocalypsenow-horror.gif

Been here before, couldn't say I liked it. An abject failure on every level. There were maybe 6 or 7 coherent musical themes across the entire album. Completely unfocused and pathetic "songwriting". The worst lyrics of their career. A horribly uneven performance from Hetfield. Terrible production. Mostly weak riffs. And that horrible fucking snare sound -- I think the kid hitting the keg with the baseball bat actually sounds better.

What a horrendous pile of shit. I agree, Virtual XI sounds like a masterpiece compared to this tripe.

JethroTullAPassionPlay.jpg

Who would have thought that it would take Tull trying to ape the friggin' Van Der Graaf Generator, of all bands, to create their opus magnum.

The Critique Oblique part is sublime in a way I have probably never seen done elsewhere, by JT or any other band, in fact.

I don't think it's been said enough - the 70s Tull had absolutely killer rhythm sections. Doesn't matter which combination of Bunker-Barlow / Cornick-Hammond-Glascock it was at any given moment, they could be complex yet utterly groovy, absolutely irresistible and priceless. Some of the little, subtle bass runs still get me each time even after tens of listens. Incredible, just incredible.

I don't think it's been said enough - the 70s Tull had absolutely killer rhythm sections. Doesn't matter which combination of Bunker-Barlow / Cornick-Hammond-Glascock it was at any given moment, they could be complex yet utterly groovy, absolutely irresistible and priceless. Some of the little, subtle bass runs still get me each time even after tens of listens. Incredible, just incredible.
I couldn't describe better. The Rhythm section of JETHRO TULL was incredible in the 70's. It's one of the reasons why 70's are the Golden years for this band. The musicianship of every member of the band was amazing and the albums are absolutely fantastic.

Last edited:
Speaking of Tull: I ordered the Broadsword and The Beast remaster with 8 bonustracks! Looking forward to it, it´s one of my favorites of the band.

JethroTullAPassionPlay.jpg

Who would have thought that it would take Tull trying to ape the friggin' Van Der Graaf Generator, of all bands, to create their opus magnum.

The Critique Oblique part is sublime in a way I have probably never seen done elsewhere, by JT or any other band, in fact.
My favorite Jethro Tull album and 50th Anniversary next month. The Nightcap album released in 1993 contains the original Chateau Disaster Tapes and yes Critique Oblique is awesome!!!
You can enjoy listening a recent podcast from The Sea of Tranquility Youtube channel where they're discussing about this album, what's the concept, musically and lyrically and they talk of Critique Oblique and the Chateau Disaster Tapes too. You will enjoy it. Here it is

Last edited:
Speaking of Tull: I ordered the Broadsword and The Beast remaster with 8 bonustracks! Looking forward to it, it´s one of my favorites of the band.
I have that one too. Now I'm waiting for the 40th Anniversary Edition. They have wonderful gems in their b'sides and unreleased tracks.

Back