NOW PLAYING

Rush - Red Sector A

That track hit me in the face like a ton of bricks the first time I heard it today. That track hit me in the face like two tons of bricks when I listened to it again and paid attention to the lyrics.

Whilst I am not a massive fan of the sound Rush had in that era, that song is outstanding and the lyrics very moving.

Whilst I am not a massive fan of the sound Rush had in that era, that song is outstanding and the lyrics very moving.

I'd go further - I'm not really a fan of Rush anymore, on the contrary, actually, and yet this is one of the songs I still really love (along with about half of Farewell to Kings, Working Man, Freewill, Limelight and BU2B )

NP:

0c920d_fae97524fa1c45058483897f5bdb5a6a~mv2.jpg

I'd go further - I'm not really a fan of Rush anymore, on the contrary, actually, and yet this is one of the songs I still really love (along with about half of Farewell to Kings, Working Man, Freewill, Limelight and BU2B )

NP:

0c920d_fae97524fa1c45058483897f5bdb5a6a~mv2.jpg
My favorite Marillion album with Fish. I fell in love with it at first moment I heard Hotel Hobbies. Damn it's so good. Bass and Drums are so tight and that guitar sound, so many details in this album. I love it.

My favorite Marillion album with Fish. I fell in love with it at first moment I heard Hotel Hobbies. Damn it's so good. Bass and Drums are so tight and that guitar sound, so many details in this album. I love it.

I like it a lot, but to be honest (I know, I know, controversial contrarian ahead), my relationship towards it is a bit more reserved than for other Fish-first afficionados. While not full-blown, I can't help but feel there are already seeds of the "primarily atmospheric", kinda melodyless mush they would fully embrace in the hogarth era. Not really, like I said, I like the album a lot, love it even, but it makes me think that the evolution and change in sound was more natural and slow than it is often being said.
I personally prefer Misplaced and Script and ... in a way maybe even Fugazi for "popping out" more for me, having more of an edge. Especially in the beginning of the album it's very noticeable to me.

That said, I'm trying to get into Marillion more lately, especialy the h-era which I know only so, and it's not really successful. With the exception of Marbles and Afraid of Sunlight (partially), it's just... nothing sticks in my head. I could swear I have heard Brave, like, a million times over and up until Hard as Love (that is, for the first half fucking hour or so), nothing sticks in my head, except for that one haunting riff in Runaway. Absolutely nothing to hold onto. It's kinda frustrating. A rather nice background music, but... man, I would need some key as to how to approach it. I'd really want to, in fact, it's just...

I love both worlds. You'll enjoy the Hogarth era. I love every f***ing album. Seasons End is awesome with The Space, Hooks in You, Berlin…. Holidays in Eden is the most commercial/ pop album but with great songs. Brave return to progressive and dark atmosphere because the concept and the story. I'd recommend trespass the Hard as Love barrier because the interesting comes after it. Hollow Man, Alone again in the Lap of Luxury, Brave and the Great Escape. (F***ing great songs)
Afraid of Sunlight is another masterpiece, The second part of the album is the best imho. Afraid of Sunrise, Out of this World, Afraid of Sunlight, Beyond You, King…wow! You must to hear them. This Strange Engine is another great album with Estonia, This Strange Engine, 80 Days, Man of Thousand Faces, One fine day…. Radiation and Anoraknophobia are the most alternative albums. Marbles is another Double Album Masterpiece full with a bunch of great great songs…. and I could write more…It's really worth it to dig in their music.

I have The Automatic Imperfection album. The best song from theirs imho is the Radio Futura cover: Semilla Negra.

I quite liked them back in their early days (I have their first three albums) and even went to see them live at a theatre. I knew Leonor Watling was a great actor, but she surprised me as a very accomplished singer too. Nice jazz/blues. :)

Back