NOW PLAYING

Gamma Ray - Empire Of The Undead (album)
Alright, I also just had my first listen!
It's a good cover album, but I personally liked the 3 original bonus tracks at the end.

Well now more seriously, it sounds like Land of the Free II 2 (lol). More catchy and aggressive than the middle albums, and most importantly, a healthy amount of stolen lines... :innocent:

But I like it more than LotF 2. Nothing here is groundbreaking, but all of the tracks are fun to listen to (except for the title track, didn't really like it...) Avalon is a highlight, and so are the last three songs, because they really do feel more original. I also loved the ending to Master of Confusion :lol:.

Avalon is definitely one of my favorite Gamma Ray songs, maybe even top 3. I can't say that most of it is that memorable. Born to Fly was another really good one.

Well now more seriously, it sounds like Land of the Free II 2 (lol). More catchy and aggressive than the middle albums,

But I like it more than LotF 2. Nothing here is groundbreaking, but all of the tracks are fun to listen to
It's a better album than Land Of The Free II for me. It's catchy and aggressive, but I wouldn't say more than the middle albums. Fun album.

Speaking of the Part 2 of their classic album from 1995, they never should have done it imo (like Helloween with the Keeper album from 2005) - it's such a landmark album for the band (the first of 3 classics in a row) and you can't repeat the magic of it. Only ''Insurrection'' is on the level of the songs from the original album (''Rebellion In Dreamland'' vibe). The 1995 album could have been a Helloween album. Great album cover too.

My short review of the 1995 classic:

The opener is a classic and one of the band's best songs (golden chorus), ''Man On A Mission'' is another classic for the band, ''Fairytale'' is a great 50 seconds long chorus (is it a continuation of the previous song? A curious choice), ''All Of The Damned'' is a very good song that fits the album great, ''Gods Of Deliverance'' is another solid song, the title track is amazing, ''Abyss Of The Void'' is like the climax of the album (with its mood) and the album wouldn't be the same without the closer.

As for the other songs, ''Salvation's Calling'' is not bad, ''Farewell'' is a nice ballad (the album needs it) and the song with Kiske feels out of place in the album (a typical happy Helloween song).

A truly special album.

Back