Now Playing (Video Games)

I've spent the last two days playing Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri. For those of you who don't know, Sid Meier  is the guy behind the Civ series, and this is what he was doing while his lincense for the name Civilisation was mistreated by the guys who made Call to Power...

Alpha Centauri is pretty similar to the Civ series, but it has a few up points. The story is about the crew of the UN starship Unity who leave earth in 2060, heading for the nearest star, Alpha Centauri (btw, earth was in deep shit by 2060). When they get there, the reactor malfunctions, the captain's assasinated and the crew splits into factions, not by nationality, but by ideology.

It's a very very interesting game, you can see the crew put a lot of research into it... considering that the entire tech-tree should include mostly future techs, they did a pretty good job at imagining stuff. Plus the ecological twist of the story is awesome. :D

The reason I'm playing it is because i mostly use Ubuntu (linux) now this was one of the few "cool" games i found to be working for linux. If you like Civ, most probably you'll like this one as well

Onhell said:
Conker's is a hilarious game! I like your mom already, though the Wii is a good system, if you have high speed internet you'll have nintendo's and sega's back catalogue available for under 10 bucks and at times under 5, depending on the game, that is awesome considering original nintendos go for 60 dollars and the games still cost 20 bucks a pop!

I'm sure Halo 3 will kick ass... can't wait!

Yes I have high speed internet and I did not know about the back catalogue for under 10 bucks.  Thanks Onhell for that info!  I lost my gaming buddy 2 years ago and well he was my insight to all games, video consoles, computers.  So once again THANK YOU!

Yeah, Halo 3 better kick some butt or I am holding you responsible!  Just kidding

I just overcame Egg Emperor, the final boss in Sonic Heroes that is piloted by Dr. Robotnik, better known as Dr. Eggman in the game, by using Team Sonic (Sonic the Hedgehog, Knuckles the Echidna and Miles 'Tails' Prower). First I got a B after defeating Egg Emperor while playing Story mode, then I redeemed myself by playing Challenge mode where I finally got an A.

My brother downloaded Sonic Heroes from Download 4 All's website one year ago because he wanted to play it and had several flaws:
I)  The background music for each level plus the options menu ends by itself
II) The characters do not speak when their dialogues appear on screen. They don't even speak when doing something like Team Blast, collecting rings etc.
III) No C.G. movies for each team (which are unlocked after you defeat Egg Emperor)

Dragon Age: Origins is just about the best game I've ever played (Oblivion and Morrowind being worthy exceptions). It's fairly stereotypical fantasy RPG (although a very very good stereotypical fantasy) but the gameplay, writing, dialogue choices and character development is genius. I racked up about 55 hours on my first character and am 30 hours into my second playthrough. Brilliant stuff.

Never liked FPS fantasy style RPG, like Oblivion.

Fallout was GREAT, but D&D style games should be 3rd person, IMHO...

It's not a D&D style game. It's an RPG. They're completely different things. D&D is a subclass of RPGs.

I think Fallout 3 is pretty over rated. I was pretty hyped for it seeing as it was made by Bethesda Softworks (of the previously mentioned Oblivion and Morrowind fame) but whilst in Oblivion and Morrowind I spent hours after hours immersed in the world and playing the many hundreds of quest and soaking up the lore and atmosphere. Whilst Fallout 3 seemed to be bare thin on quests, books (in-game books in MW, OB and DA:O is phenomenal which add to the atmosphere and lore) and the landscape was pretty boring. And the Fallout 3 ending just drained any of my enthusiasm to go back through the game and play it again:
I can't go into radioactive chamber of doom even though I'm immune, because it's destiny!

Also, swords, bows and magic is so much better than guns :D

There's so much scripting in DAO that it's not funny. A little scripting for dramatic purposes is a good call. Fallout wasn't nearly as bad for it as those games. Morrowind was totally overrated, anyway, and I don't think there's much difference between Oblivion and Fallout. Of course there's no books in Fallout - it's a destroyed landscape. I'm sorry, I put 60 hours into Oblivion and did everything, I have 160 hours in Fallout and still have 3 DLCs to do and 2 main mission quests.

See, I put 60 hours into FO and have nothing to do. I put about 900 hours over 3 years into Oblivion (And expansion) and have absolutely nothing to do now. And yeah, I know FO3 is lacking in books because of the whole post-apocalyptic thing going on but it could've got lore and other things of interest into it somewhere. I guess it all comes down to whether you prefer guns or swords, feral ghouls or liches and fantasy or post-apocalyptica.

And go back and play Morrowind more. It's about the worst game to ever try and get in to because you walk at about 2 meters every minute, and you spend most of the early combat missing your sword swings or failing your spells. But after about level 5 or 6 it becomes a great game.

DA:O's scripting makes it more realistic for me. Most of the time I notice it is in regards to the dialogue. Often you return back to camp and get interrogated by someone about recent events and thats expected. If someone does something you don't like they're gonna come and tell you about it, which they do. I enjoy the fact that the 2 giants of the RPG genre, Bethesda (Oblivion, Fallout and Morrowind) and Bioware (Mass Effect 1+2 and DA:O) are so different in the way they present there games.

I actually prefer fantasy in general, but I always get so bored playing the Elder Scrolls games that I completely lose interest. Fallout's storyline tended to appeal to me more, plus the DLCs were absolutely great and added wicked gameplay to it.

What's the general opinion on Modern Warfare 2?

I thought the campaign was pathetically short but generally good. CoD4 was better though. Spec Ops is awesome fun and online multiplayer is great although they're are too many pop-ups everytime you kill someone and the reward scheme is too much in my opinion but at least it keeps it interesting.

I finished Mass Effect 2 a while ago. It's one of the best games I have ever played.
I mean, 1 is good, but 2 is divine! 'Till three I need to replay the ending on my good Shepherd, and I'm going to start 1 again with a bad one. It'll be tough getting used to 1 after playing 2 though.
Any thoughts?

Jonszat said:
What's the general opinion on Modern Warfare 2?

I thought the campaign was pathetically short but generally good. CoD4 was better though. Spec Ops is awesome fun and online multiplayer is great although they're are too many pop-ups everytime you kill someone and the reward scheme is too much in my opinion but at least it keeps it interesting.

I totally missed this one.  I think the campaign was not near as good as 4 or 5.  I don't like the ending at all.  The online play (multiplayer) is pretty outstanding, though.  I'd agree with the popups, and with xbox, the matchmaking is pretty cheesy (drops too many times).  I'm happy Infinity Ward has been fairly good at fixing cheats. 

Started it three time already, and I just can't get into it. It's boring the hell out of me.

I've put about 125 hours into it.

I'm on my third main at the minute. An evil Elf Mage after playing a Human Mage and an Elf Warrior.

It's completely awesome. Like really awesome.

Back