NOW EATING

Now eating: Pea soup, which is a bit disgusting considering I watched "The Exorcist" last night.

A chocolate cake! [!--emo&:wub:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/wub.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'wub.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Black Pudding!

Northern England's delight, Pigs blood and god knows what else. Great with a fried breakfast.

Along witjh a double whopper with cheese from BK one of the best hangover cures in the world. (Although Perun would have to disagree)

My favorite dish would be a cointoss between Fettucine Alfredo and a wet Carne Asada burrito. I like to have carne asada steak, rice, beans, onion, silantro, and hot sauce on my burritos.

Last week I cooked a chicken 'à la Corse' ( from Corsica). First I want to make clear, in order to avoid troubles with some Corsican BBers, that I've no idea if it's really a Corsican recipe but it was named this way in my recipe book.

Now here's the recipe. It's very simple and quick to cook and of course delicious.

First cut the chicken into pieces and brown them in olive oil in a stewpot for 5 minutes on each side over a medium heat
Add three tomatoes (without skins) , 100 grs of sliced Agaricus bisporus (button mushrooms), 125 grs of streaky bacons cut into pieces, 3 minced garlic cloves, salt , pepper and a half-glass of Cognac. Cover the stewpot and cook over a slow heat for 50 minutes.
Wash 200 grs of green olives to drain the salt and add them in the stewpan, add thyme and cook for 10 more minutes

I served it with rice and red wine from the south of France (Chateau Canet-Minervois 1990)

[!--QuoteBegin-syl+Dec 6 2005, 09:56 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(syl @ Dec 6 2005, 09:56 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]Last week I cooked a chicken 'à la Corse' ( from Corsica). First I want to make clear, in order to avoid troubles with some Corsican BBers, that I've no idea if it's really a Corsican recipe but it was named this way in my recipe book.
(...)
[/quote]
Great! thank you Syl. As you know, there is no Cognac in Corsica. Therefore I suppose that the traditional version is probably based on another alcoholic drink. However, the recipe sounds very good....
[!--emo&^_^--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/happy.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'happy.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

[!--emo&:(--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/sad.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'sad.gif\' /][!--endemo--] I'm sure most of people wouldn't have noticed. Now it takes of all credibility.

Anyway, I can't wait for tomorrow to read your signature

[!--QuoteBegin-syl+Dec 6 2005, 12:09 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(syl @ Dec 6 2005, 12:09 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--][!--emo&:(--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/sad.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'sad.gif\' /][!--endemo--] I'm sure most of people wouldn't have noticed. Now it takes of all credibility.
[/quote]
Nope.
In my opinion nothing deserves to be taken with hallowed respect - neither music nor cooking. I mean that traditional music or recipes can -or even must be re-arranger and twisted in order to produce new, exiting, things. In so doing you keep them alive and in a sense modern.
I just underlined the absence of Cognac in Corsica for the record - you know wht I mean. People from all over the world are probably not into such level of details however. I must admit that I love such details through, and I wish we had more posts from South America and especially Brazil in this topic... including all the details! [!--emo&:)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'smile.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Last weekend I made a really good chicken stew:
the oils and juices left at the bottom of a pan when you bake chicken, along with the bones, boiled in a large pot of water for 2-3 hours - it gives you a yummy broth. Add in carrots, turnip, potatoes, onions, and whatever spices you like (I had parsley and basil)

Let it simmer for 4-5 hours, until enough liquid has evaporated to make it "un-soupy"

I don't know how common this kind of meal is elsewhere, but it's been a standard part of the diet in Canada for generations, mostly because it's very cheap, easy to make, tastes good, and incredibly nutritious.

You can follow the same recipe withmutton, beef, turkey, pork, etc., but I think chicken gives the best flavour.

I'm in a rather good mood today and I have plenty of time because I'm not working so here's another recipe which is for drinking not eating but anyway...

Recipe of the Green Love Cocktail (for 2) :
Mix together 1 banana, 300 ml of pineapple juice, 50ml of Pisang Ambon.
Then add the juice of a lime fruit and 2 table spoons of grated ginger

Pisang Ambon (21% of alcohol) is a emeral green exotic speciality based on an old Indonesian liqueur recipe. It's made of juices of tropical fruits and herbs from Indonesia and distilled in Amsterdam.
pisang.jpg

Of course you can put more or less Pisang Ambon according to your taste or even not at all if you don't drink alcohol or less ginger if you don't like it too much.

The more you add Pisang Ambon, the more you will be drunk
The more you add ginger, err...well...the more your libido is supposed to be up  

[!--QuoteBegin-syl+Dec 6 2005, 01:35 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(syl @ Dec 6 2005, 01:35 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]The more you add Pisang Ambon, the more you will be drunk
The more you add ginger, err...well...the more your libido is supposed to be up  [!--emo&:p--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'tongue.gif\' /][!--endemo--]
[/quote]
Add a lot of both medicines and you're flying high.....
[!--emo&:angel:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrinangelA.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrinangelA.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

[!--QuoteBegin-IronDuke+Dec 6 2005, 04:30 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(IronDuke @ Dec 6 2005, 04:30 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]I don't know how common this kind of meal is elsewhere, but it's been a standard part of the diet in Canada for generations, mostly because it's very cheap, easy to make, tastes good, and incredibly nutritious.
[snapback]124647[/snapback]​
[/quote]Well, maybe not quite the stew, but as the old cliche goes "Have some chicken soup"... I'm a big fan of it and I'm glad that my son loves it too - it's his favourite meal (at times beating even chocolate and crisps [!--emo&:)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'smile.gif\' /][!--endemo--] ).
I make it the Yiddish way. I boil the meat with some whole white pepper and ground black pepper. Separately, I stir-fry onions and root vegetables - carrots, parsley and celery on some butter. When the meat is almost tender, I add the vegetables and the broth gets this lovely golden colour. Then finish boiling, take the meat out, add vermicelli pasta (I usually prepare it separately in a bit of broth) and chopped green parsley. Serve with or without the meat. Wonderful!

My brother and I have been eating chicken soup about 80% of our days since we were little kids. Especially he's a big fan of it. I don't know the exact recipe my mom uses, but I kno it invloves chicken (doh) some carrots, some green leafs,parsley, and som other stuff I don't know how to call in English.

Roasted lobsters with ginger butter
miam8.gif

Cook 200 g of butter with a bunch of coriander; add 3 cm of a ginger root previously grated; salt; pepper.
2ja7.jpg

Cook 4 lobsters (ca. 400 g each) into 3 l of boiling water, salt, pepper  & bouquet garni
Cook them 5 minutes.
Get the lobsters out of water. Let them cool.

Cook 12 small carrots in a pan with 20 g of butter (12 minutes) and then add 200 g of scallops. Add 100 g of bacon and 300 g of broad beans
1gg5.jpg

Add salt, pepper. Cover, cook 10 minutes.
5rp3.jpg

Heat your oven at 220 C
Cut the unfortunate lobsters if two pieces.
4kq5.jpg

Fill the pieces with ginger butter.
6ac5.jpg

Cook then in the oven for 8 minutes.
7fp6.jpg

Serve with the carrots.
8zf5.jpg

Cheers!
faim-couverts-453.gif

Mega Delirium JackKnife, thanks, I will use your formula

Now listen this original caraibean cook :

el polo pio-pio

you take some feet of chiken, and you marinate them for some hours (you can add some ginger) when you think it's ready,  you make three dents in each chicken foot

you warm your frit machine in 200° for some time

you cut three tomatoes and three ognions in very small square pieces, and you throw them in a bowl....you add some olive oil, some balsam, the juice of one lime, some green and red pepper (cutten also in small rectagulars) and some pieces of soja....you admix all this with a soup spoon

then you cut 2 mature bananes (plantaines) in small pieces

you throw the chicken feet in the frit machine

5 minutes before it's ready you throw the bananes

you prepare the plats by putting a big piece of salade on each plat, and you put the piece of frit bananes around the salade pieces.....in the middle of each plat you put one chicken foot, and finaly excactly after you had put the chicken foots on the plats, you slop the dressing you had already prepared in the bowl with the soup spoon

you can serve it with white riz, riz mixed with black haricots or as it is

Now eatin' mixed nuts, unsaturated goodness :)

A treat I really love is panga ( Tuna Jaw ), so damn juicy and tastes real great with butter. A popular treat with fish loving Pinoys.
It's basically tuna jaw marinated for a few hours and grilled.

Back