Non Album Maiden Songs - The Complete List

2. Reach Out
Wasted Years B-Side
Overall: 7.81/10

And the loser in this case - though still a winner given it's all the way up at #2 - is this gem from Wasted Years' b-side. Reach Out is the sole song in Maiden's discography in which Our Lord and Savior H actually takes on vocal duties and Bruce gets allocated to background singing - and both excel here. Its uniqueness is remarkable, but this is a great song in its own right. The Entire Population of Hackney gave us some great songs for Maiden to record, including this and, of course, our Number 1 song.......

Votes:
10 - 5
9 - 6
8 - 8
7 - 4
6 - 1
5 - 1
4 - 0
3 - 1
2 - 0
1 - 1

Overall:
2. Reach Out
3. Virus
4. Doctor Doctor
5. Massacre
6. Justice of the Peace
7. Judgement Day
8. Cross-Eyed Mary
9. Juanita
10. King of Twilight
11. All In Your Mind
12. Rainbow's Gold
13. Sheriff of Huddersfield
14. I've Got The Fire
15. Burning Ambition
16. Women In Uniform
17. Kill Me Ce Soir
18. Black Bart Blues
19. I Live My Way
20. Mission From 'Arry
21. My Generation
22. Space Truckin'
23. Communication Breakdown
24. Space Station No. 5
25. Hocus Pocus
26. Invasion
27. I'm A Mover
28. I Can't See My Feelings
29. Roll Over Vic Vella
30. Bayswater Ain't A Bad Place To Be
31. Pass The Jam
32. More Tea Vicar
33. Nodding Donkey Blues

1. That Girl
Stranger In A Strange Land B-Side
Overall: 7.88/10

I'm gonna straight-up say it: I love That Girl. I love it. I love everything about this song. The best way I can describe it is something to the effect of "if this song were a woman, she would be the most beautiful woman ever." This is a gem. This is hands-down the best cover of all time. It takes all of what's great about Somewhere In Time and fits it into one song. And it's a cover!! This isn't an original Maiden song, it's merely a cover! Proof that, while the band has had some mediocre covers over the years, when they put their minds to it they can create amazing ones nonetheless. And apparently 'Arry and Dave (?) aren't even on here. Incredible. Just like this song. Incredible. It is, currently and probably for a good long while, my fourth favorite Maiden song overall. I swear, I did nothing to get it at Number 1. I was merely one of the partakers. But I'm glad to see that the rest of the forum considers it to be a great song as well. Y'all have made me a very happy Diesel. And I thank ye for it.
:cheers:

Votes:
10 - 5
9 - 6
8 - 7
7 - 3
6 - 3
5 - 1
4 - 0
3 - 0
2 - 0
1 - 1

Overall:
1. That Girl
2. Reach Out
3. Virus
4. Doctor Doctor
5. Massacre
6. Justice of the Peace
7. Judgement Day
8. Cross-Eyed Mary
9. Juanita
10. King of Twilight
11. All In Your Mind
12. Rainbow's Gold
14. I've Got The Fire
15. Burning Ambition
16. Women In Uniform
17. Kill Me Ce Soir
18. Black Bart Blues
19. I Live My Way
20. Mission From 'Arry
21. My Generation
22. Space Truckin'
24. Space Station No. 5
25. Hocus Pocus
26. Invasion
27. I'm A Mover
29. Roll Over Vic Vella
31. Pass The Jam
32. More Tea Vicar
33. Nodding Donkey Blues

And so, ladies and gentlemen, we have come to the end of our countdown. Thank you to all that voted, it's been a blast going through these songs again and seeing how the Maiden Fans population thinks when it comes to the non album tracks. I've enjoyed it and I hope you have too.

Cheers, guys!

And apparently 'Arry and Dave (?) aren't even on here.

Yeah that's clearly nonsense.

That's definitely Steve playing bass and on Reach Out, and that's definitely Dave taking the solo in That Girl.

I presume what Nicko meant by himself and Adrian recording the track was that they put down the initial backing track.

Yeah, I'm not saying it hasn't been written that Steve didn't play on the track.

i'm saying whoever wrote that is wrong. Listen to the track, Steve is the most recognisable bass player in metal. That's him on all three of those tracks.

Wiki:
""That Girl" was written by Merv Goldsworthy, Pete Jupp and Andy Barnett in an early line-up of the band FM [...] On this Iron Maiden version the first guitar solo is played by Dave Murray while the ending guitar solo is played by Adrian Smith, who also played bass on the recording because Steve Harris refused to play the song.citation needed

"Juanita" was originally played by Barnett's band Marshall Fury in the early 1980s, and it was written by Steve Barnacle and Derek O'Neil. Marshall Fury never recorded a studio version of the song. Iron Maiden's version features Bruce Dickinson (who reportedly changed some of the lyrics during the recording) on vocals, Nicko McBrain on drums, and Adrian Smith on all guitars and bass."
Dunno about Steve, sounds like him; but Dave is without doubt on both Reach Out & That Girl. He plays solos on both.

Just listened to all three. I always wondered about that wiki entry. To me, That Girl and Juanita sound like Steve. There are bass fills in Juanita that have to be Steve and the gallop in That Girl sounds like it’s being played with fingers (I assume Adrian would’ve used a pick).

Reach Out on the other hand sounds like a bass line that a guitar player would come up with. Extremely simplistic, very little rhythmic or harmonic variation from what the guitar is doing and very few fills (there are a couple in the solo section but they’re very simple). The tone is Steve’s, but considering they were probably using his setup then it’s going to sound a little bit like him. I could see Adrian playing bass on that track.

1. That Girl
Stranger In A Strange Land B-Side
Overall: 7.88/10

I'm gonna straight-up say it: I love That Girl. I love it. I love everything about this song. The best way I can describe it is something to the effect of "if this song were a woman, she would be the most beautiful woman ever." This is a gem. This is hands-down the best cover of all time. It takes all of what's great about Somewhere In Time and fits it into one song. And it's a cover!! This isn't an original Maiden song, it's merely a cover! Proof that, while the band has had some mediocre covers over the years, when they put their minds to it they can create amazing ones nonetheless. And apparently 'Arry and Dave (?) aren't even on here. Incredible. Just like this song. Incredible. It is, currently and probably for a good long while, my fourth favorite Maiden song overall. I swear, I did nothing to get it at Number 1. I was merely one of the partakers. But I'm glad to see that the rest of the forum considers it to be a great song as well. Y'all have made me a very happy Diesel. And I thank ye for it.
:cheers:

Votes:
10 - 5
9 - 6
8 - 7
7 - 3
6 - 3
5 - 1
4 - 0
3 - 0
2 - 0
1 - 1

Overall:
1. That Girl
2. Reach Out
3. Virus
4. Doctor Doctor
5. Massacre
6. Justice of the Peace
7. Judgement Day
8. Cross-Eyed Mary
9. Juanita
10. King of Twilight
11. All In Your Mind
12. Rainbow's Gold
14. I've Got The Fire
15. Burning Ambition
16. Women In Uniform
17. Kill Me Ce Soir
18. Black Bart Blues
19. I Live My Way
20. Mission From 'Arry
21. My Generation
22. Space Truckin'
24. Space Station No. 5
25. Hocus Pocus
26. Invasion
27. I'm A Mover
29. Roll Over Vic Vella
31. Pass The Jam
32. More Tea Vicar
33. Nodding Donkey Blues

My number one as well! O no... probably Virus number one. That Girl number two.

Nodding Donkey Blues is absolutely not Maiden worst b-side. Ridiculous. Way better and funnier than More Tea Vicar and Pass the Jam. I also might like it more than Bayswater, Hocus Pocus and Space Truckin'.

Just because you can hear the strings hitting the frets?

The style of the fills as well, it's definitely the same bass player that plays on Wasted Years.

I always wondered about that wiki entry.

The source of it seems to be Nicko saying it on Listen With Nicko. I don't doubt that there is probably some truth to it that himself and Adrian layed down the backing tracks in the studio on their own, but it's seems clear that the rest of the band came in and overdubbed their parts.

Back