No Prayer On The Road: The Dissection

Will be interesting if they have any unreleased live footage that they can use from this tour, for the next chapter of the "history of Iron Maiden dvd"

I've been coming across a lot of proshot footage of the tour on youtube lately. I'm sure there's a bit they could release.

Speaking for me, Myself I love the entire album imo it kicks ass in a very basic way. They got worse after this. Then they got better. Way better. Yay.

I became a fan in 1991, but missed this tour. I have an enjoyable factory pressed bootleg CD (which doesn't play well anymore unfortunately) from a French gig in 1991* and I liked some things they tried out with the setlist. Hallowed Be Thy Name was very early in the set! And I liked Janick's (sometimes) wild contribiutions in 22 Acacia Avenue and The Prisoner. The bold stuff below was a cool mini-set within the set. ;) I also love the live renditions from that album, and noticed the minimal emphasis on (especially) the Powerslave, SIT and SSOASS albums. It was especially Beast and No Prayer.
*The last gig of the tour.

Was it the Bol d'Or gig ? In september 1991 ? I think the main french tour was in october 1990 (I went to two consecutive nights at Le Zenith, Paris), and then this concert at the huge motorbike race was annonced in early summer 1991. My best gig ever. Very front row. Harry quickly noticed I kept looking only at him and so repeatedly turned his eyes on me to sing along the lyrics.
The opening act (a terrible french band) was chased by bottle throwers and the guy who came to ask for the audience to calm down (an horrible wanker called Philippe Manoeuvre) received the same treatment. The crowd went nuts that night.

Last edited:
The opening act (a terrible french band) was chased by bottle throwers and the guy who came to ask for the audience to calm down (an horrible wanker called Philippe Manoeuvre) received the same treatment. The crowd went nuts that night.
Couldn't have said better myself! :cheers: By the way, the opening act was Tipsy Wit. Here is a chronicle from the show (in French):
http://www.maidenfrance.fr/revues/o...1+bol+or+-+metal+hammer+na+34+-+nov+1991.html
(the journalist has visibly chosen to remember that the reception of the opening act was better than you say ;) )

The setlist sucked?
Man, the set I saw was the exact opposite of your description, but horses for courses I s'pose.
To each his own, but at the show I saw, I recall hearing:

Tailgunner
Public Enema Number One
Wrathchild
Die With Your Boots On
Hallowed Be Thy Name
22 Acacia Avenue
Holy Smoke
No Prayer For The Dying
The Clairvoyant
2 Minutes To Midnight
The Trooper
Heaven Can Wait
Iron Maiden
The Number Of The Beast
Bring Your Daughter to the Slaughter
Run To The Hills
Sanctuary

(from what I read, other shows on the tour had more songs)

I remember thinking it had too much NOTB, didn't have enough from recent albums, and was too short overall.

Their popularity in the USA had started slipping with SSOASS, and though NPFTD still went gold, the tour was doing poorly (at my show, the arena was less than half full). Dickinson wasn't into it and his concert rant was idiotic. The whole band seemed listless except for Janick, but his antics were silly (he climbed the light rigging at one point). Also, Janick played horribly.

I local newspaper review summed it up with something to the effect of "Maiden rusty, but not losing edge".

Janick was terrible on that tour. He played a so-called guitar solo at the end of 22 ave. (mainly distorted noise) and climbed on the PA. A terrible way to introduce himself. And it wasn't just one show, as I saw them three times on that tour. I remember thinking that Smith wasn't always a great fun to watch, but he was doing his best to play his parts.

That 22 stuff was added, in his own typical wild style. That does not say anything about Janick doing his or someone else's existing parts.

Indeed, but it was a mess, and it DID say something about his playing. Four years before, we had that wonderful solo by Dave and Adrian, and I couldn't comparing.

I liked it (from that bootleg). Aggressive stuff, and I don't have a huge problem if he climbs in the PA. Pretty cool even.

Which solo 4 years before?

The one they played all alone onstage. Excuse me, I can't remember the title which was given to it.
EDIT : Walking on Glass

Aha, that was entirely something else. Not even the same purpose. That was a melodic composition, trying to create some Bladerunnerish/Somewhere on Tourish atmosphere.

Janick's wild stuff is less sensitive and melodic (to put it mildly ;-) ), but he wasn't trying to do that. I can imagine you prefer that duet, but I can appreciate this rougher stuff as well.

Last edited:
It was a cool little gesture to let Janick finish off 22 Acacia Avenue. Showcasing him a little to the fans as well at the same time.

At the end here from 5:50 onwards..

Back