No More Lies

How good is No More Lies on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
This is the song that got me into Iron Maiden.

I love this song, but I think mostly from an Aspergers perspective. I don't like lies and I find people very confusing. I hate second guessing what peole say. I am always quite a straight forward person. So the chorus just captured my attention. I would love there to be no more lies, but yeah I know that the song probably isn't about rejoicing in a lie free utopia.

Maybe I'm just far to lazy for lies. It's less hassle to tell the truth.

The opener of my favourite Maiden three-in-a-row. I really liked hurtloam's thoughts (above) on NML. Cut the bullshit, end the pretences, because in the grand scheme of things it's futile. As I must have said a dozen times already on Maidenfans, DOD as an album is full of looking at things in retrospect, perhaps even looking at the present from a theoretical future standpoint. It's not simply taking a step back to look, though, there's an impending threat or fear of judgement. I find that same weighty sense of foreboding present in The Book of Souls, too, the first disc in particular.

Following on the discussion earlier in this thread and in the IM Commentary, the first image that came to my mind too was the image of the Last Supper, but with a vague threat of vengeance in there. I disagree with the Commentary on the intro sounding specifically Celtic, though. It sounds reminiscent of some 16th/early 17th Century music, maybe courtly dances - same with the title track. I especially like the run of distinct solos in this song, each adds something new.

After two straightforward rockers, we get something a bit more unique for Maiden signaling that this album will be more on the experimental side. The main melodies are really cool and this song has a great build up. Unfortunately I don't go back to this song often because I feel there aren't enough interesting things to justify its length. The chorus is a bit unimaginative and boring. It works well as a climax in its first appearance, but by the end the song seems to lose steam.

On the plus side, the three guitar attack is still new here and we get an early three way guitar duel. :shred:

It's a prototype for later reunion era gems and is interesting on that merit, but it has since become a bit forgettable to me for the same reason.

No More Lies, or as I call it, The song that gets expanded into The Final Frontier album. 7/10. Chorus is great to sing to.

Superb moody intro and I love the way it builds to the chorus. Really powerful and punchy chorus too. The repetition kind of suits the song but I agree by the end you are kind of wanting it to divert in another direction somehow. Blistering solo too.

10/10

No More Lies is the first of many epics on the album. An emotional triumph from the Celtic vibes of the opening crawl to a chorus that screams to the sky with blasts of pure energy. Similar to the title track from Brave New World, this song features a brilliant texture from three guitarists, who all play different licks to help round out Steve Harris’ bass. Bruce lulls us in with a soothing tone, singing lyrics about eschewing regrets in the face of death, and then proceeds to rip your face off with raw power during the repetitive chorus. In any other song this chorus could have been stilted and boring, but every time Bruce belts the song title it sounds like a powerful and desperate declaration. The bridge is fantastic, a classic Maiden piece with all three guitarists dueling away. It is truly amazing that with so much music going on around them, Adrian, Dave, and Janick all manage to retain their own unique phrasing while contributing to the greater sound of the band. Bruce’s spine-tingling vocal runs at the end of the songs evoke the likes of Dio, grand and bluesy and utterly fantastic.

I have always liked this one. Some might think it's repetitive, but they just don't get it. The chorus gets better every time Bruce sings "no more lies". Each of the guitarists do terrific solos as well.

8/10

And here we've got another one of Steve's extended epics. Though following the standard "Maiden epic" formula (slow start, speeds up for a heavy verse/chorus, reprises the intro by the middle, solos, quiet ending), he still manages to keep things interesting with very inspired lyrics and fabulous, quite varied instrumental sections. Not among his best, I might say, and the chorus does repeat a little too much, but not that big of a letdown, as Bruce handles it very well. Still a very strong offering. 9.

I really really like this song. Among the positives we have a great buildup, thoughtful lyrics, a great vocal performance, a very cool riff. Repetition doesn’t hurt, partly thanks to Bruce’s emotional vocals. 9/10

A clean moody intro gives way to a soft but uptempo interlude and a pretty good verse with nice atmospherics. A somewhat rhythmically awkward pre-chorus breaks into a much heavier, but relentlessly repetitive chorus.

We return to the verse, this time much heavier. The pre-chorus works better in this heavier mode, but then we're back to that earsore of a chorus. An OK heavier interlude follows, which eventually returns to the uptempo interlude from the beginning of the song. A sloppy Janick solo gets blown away by great solos from Adrian and Dave.

Another pre-chorus and we're back to the chorus, which Bruce finally changes up a bit at the very end. An intro reprise closes things out, with Bruce softly delivering the title lyric one more time, just in case the previous 7000 times didn't get the point across.

There's a lot to like here, but the chorus is a hard blemish on the song, and there are some other weaknesses as well. Let's say 7/10.

No more lies has my favorite instrumental section which might sound weird but the guitars are just so awesome. 10

Eternal classic. The instrumental section is brilliant, the intro is gold, I like the chorus (the repetition in this case does a good job) and all three solos (Adrian's one is top-notch). This song is a perfect example of the power of the triple guitar attack... so so melodic song, I love it. It has all things in it that I love about Maiden. This have to return to the setlist in the future. 10/10

Last edited:
I like the chorus (the repetition in this case does a good job)
LOVE YOUR POST
LOVE YOUR POST
LOVE YOUR POST
LOVE YOUR POST
LOVE YOUR POST
LOVE YOUR POST
LOVE YOUR POST
LOVE YOUR POST
LOVE YOUR POST
LOVE YOUR POST
LOVE YOUR POST
LOVE YOUR POST

See? Not even slightly annoying. :facepalm:

LOVE YOUR POST
LOVE YOUR POST
LOVE YOUR POST
LOVE YOUR POST
LOVE YOUR POST
LOVE YOUR POST
LOVE YOUR POST
LOVE YOUR POST
LOVE YOUR POST
LOVE YOUR POST
LOVE YOUR POST
LOVE YOUR POST

See? Not even slightly annoying. :facepalm:

To each his own.

I do not have a problem with the repetitive chorus in NML, suits the song (it is not as annoying as on TAATG).

Last edited:
I've always liked "No More Lies". It's a moody song with a lot of great moments, and the repetition doesn't bother me too much unless I'm the one singing the lyrics. Overall it's a strong song but not as good as many others from the band. 7

According to Harris, the lyrics are
affected by Last Supper, according to σύμφωνα με
New Testament, Jesus had the last supper with his twelve disciples
before being arrested and crucified.
He also points out that he tries, through the lyrics, to
approach how Christ would feel if he came back to the present age.
He also stated that he wrote the lyrics inspired by how much perspective
of death concerns man and affects the treatment of life.
As Harris himself has admitted55, as he grows up
is increasingly possessed by a strong fear of death, something that
is clearly visible in his lyrics.
In ancient Rome it was believed that only after its realization
reality of death (“memento mori” in Latin, meaning “remember
mortality ”) man is freed from unnecessary and meaningless desires
and "carpe diem", which is summed up in the phrase
of the title.

That magical point where the Fahrenheit and Celsius scales meet.
1624311019993.png

Well... This song is mainly based in melody, ambiance and sudden mood swings (that's why the disruptive chorus is there) and fits the lyrics perfectly, the apparent calm yet with some anxiety underneath, the sense of acceptance of the approaching end... it all harmonizes beautifully. I prefer the live version where Bruce does a second voice the second time he repeats the chorus but nonetheless this song's as simple as brilliant. My third favorite track from the album and a 9/10.

Back