Nightwish

I quite like “Noise”. It’s got a lot of typical Nightwish elements, but they’re all done well, with new flourishes added to the mix that make it sound fresh. It’s a very catchy song to boot, and while the topic is the most “ok boomer” thing the band could’ve written about, the lyrics are very well assembled, as is usually the case with Tuomas.

So yeah, I like it. The music video is kinda wack though. Great cinematography but I’ll probably listen to the song on its own more than with the video.

Hmm. I'm not sold on it. There's parts I really like in the song, and parts I find a little meh. Everyone sounds good, of course. Floor has her usual strong delivery, all the musical pieces are there. The lyrics were a little difficult to follow due to their speed. I think in the end it was a hint of Nightwish-by-the-numbers, but that is unsurprising given the reaction to Imaginarium and The Greatest Show on Earth.

Oh, and the video. I think that The Matrix allegory is pretty heavy-handed from the persons-wearing-the-mask part, but I actually liked the video a lot. Also, curious who that blonde was, everyone else seemed to be the band or related to the band.

I quite like “Noise”. It’s got a lot of typical Nightwish elements, but they’re all done well, with new flourishes added to the mix that make it sound fresh. It’s a very catchy song to boot, and while the topic is the most “ok boomer” thing the band could’ve written about, the lyrics are very well assembled, as is usually the case with Tuomas.

So yeah, I like it. The music video is kinda wack though. Great cinematography but I’ll probably listen to the song on its own more than with the video.
Diesel, something is missing from the end of your review. :nonono:

Not bad. First impression is it's reminiscent of Imaginaerum. Not stand out amazing, but then I get the impression the new album is meant to be listened to as a whole.

Last edited:
Having now listened to 'Noise' several times I can concur with the popular opinion that, while the song is decent, it's not mind-blowing or much of a statement of intent. I reckon it will sound better as part of the album than it does on its own. If 'Noise' was the first Nightwish song I'd ever heard I would probably be more impressed but instead it's just fine.

Picking the first release of a new album probably leaves bands in a bit of a quandary. If they release the highlight of the album first then there will be a lot of hype but with the risk of a backlash. Last year Avantasia released the longest and best song from their latest album first but the album was actually quite underwhelming. It must be tricky to strike the right balance at times.

@Forostar did you read the review of 'Human 2 Nature' I posted a link to a few posts back? If not then I recommend that you do as it may soothe some of your frustrations. This is the link if you can't be bothered looking back:

The crucial quote of the article should interest you:

"the one thing that it does, it once and for all puts to rest all the concerns voiced after Endless Forms, that Floor’s vocals weren’t utilized to the max. Now they truly are."

So perhaps when the album is released in April we might get to read some posts from Happy Foro. :)

Picking the first release of a new album probably leaves bands in a bit of a quandary. If they release the highlight of the album first then there will be a lot of hype but with the risk of a backlash.
My opinion may change once the full album is released, but currently I think “Noise” is a good first single and actually one of the best in a while. It’s typical Nightwish, but the good kind. “Élan” is a good song, but “Shudder Before The Beautiful” would have probably been a better first single for EFMB, and “Amaranth” should’ve replaced “Eva” as the first release from DPP. I’m curious to see if “Noise” is actually a good representation of the album or not.

Pretty standard for these type of hands. Epica and Rhapsody did something similar and Therion only went once, it was a disaster and swore to never return.

Very bad. Not a single song from the Tarja era had such simplistic vocal lines. But the anti-Tarja brigade will probably drool over this dull song. Floor is great. Nightwish has lots of great songs. But together they have not really created really memorable new work.
I thought it was fairly lackluster. Tarja's operatic singing is what gave Nightwish their edge, what made them stand out. I think the Rock style singing of Floor and Anette makes Nightwish more accessible in a sense, but also a bit more dull.

But what do I know, I'm not even much of a Nightwish fan.

Back