Nights of the Dead, Legacy of the Beast: Live in Mexico City (new live album)

R-16238947-1605800208-5308.jpeg.jpg

Seems to be ok on the actual album

I am generally irritated by people complaining about the sound of every release by their favourite band I am very disappointed by this. Disappointed that Nicko's drums bury everything, tho luckily he's playing his ass off. Hard to believe anything could sound this bad, what, 8 or 9 yrs after En Vivo sounding like pretty much the best thing ever, it's such a let down soundwise

I am generally irritated by people complaining about the sound of every release by their favourite band I am very disappointed by this. Disappointed that Nicko's drums bury everything, tho luckily he's playing his ass off. Hard to believe anything could sound this bad, what, 8 or 9 yrs after En Vivo sounding like pretty much the best thing ever, it's such a let down soundwise

Although I do not find it to be this bad at all, there are two words that explain things: Kevin Shirley. He might not be Martin Birch (who is?), but he is definitely miles better than Tony Newton.

Yeah, I think it's a huge letdown specifically when compared to Maiden's previous live efforts. And those came with a video too! En Vivo is comparatively such a joy to just casually spin up and listen to, whereas this just feels bleh if you don't go into with the mindset of making excuses for one of the biggest heavy metal acts out there.

Yes, Tony Newton has a lot to answer for here. The soft spots are fine, the solo sounds aren't great but not terrible, but, by gum, the rest of the time the drums just drown the rest out. I'm gutted.

I had some more listens, this sounds like a bootleg and I mean that in a bad way, it's like a live rough mix that tv broadcasts have but at least they usually correct it. Is there any reason to go with this over the rock in rio gig? See, metallica release an official bootleg of every live (which I'd argue sounds better cause no band member is involved in the mix) and it sounds unproduced because of that, when they make actual live albums they put care onto it. Maiden on the other hand usually release one album per tour so they usually take care of it (in the likes of En vivo for example) since this is their live album they're gonna release on many formats etc. On this one, I feel like no care was put into it, I believe it's abysmal, starting from the cover and logo the Mexican shirt had more personality, as for the sound it sounds worse than the killers tour fm bootlegs. For an album of such a successful tour released on two different vinyl editions I believe this is just unacceptable.

Ps:Why is Adrian called H?

I had some more listens, this sounds like a bootleg and I mean that in a bad way, it's like a live rough mix that tv broadcasts have but at least they usually correct it. Is there any reason to go with this over the rock in rio gig? See, metallica release an official bootleg of every live (which I'd argue sounds better cause no band member is involved in the mix) and it sounds unproduced because of that, when they make actual live albums they put care onto it. Maiden on the other hand usually release one album per tour so they usually take care of it (in the likes of En vivo for example) since this is their live album they're gonna release on many formats etc. On this one, I feel like no care was put into it, I believe it's abysmal, starting from the cover and logo the Mexican shirt had more personality, as for the sound it sounds worse than the killers tour fm bootlegs. For an album of such a successful tour released on two different vinyl editions I believe this is just unacceptable.

Ps:Why is Adrian called H?
Sad but true... but it's still an enjoyable album.

Yes, Tony Newton has a lot to answer for here. The soft spots are fine, the solo sounds aren't great but not terrible, but, by gum, the rest of the time the drums just drown the rest out. I'm gutted.
It's not the producer, it's always Steve. Tony is probably a fine enough producer if he wasn't submitting to Steve's idea of production.

Performance on album is great. I play this album since friday and i'm blown away with Bruce performance and guitar works.

But production... After playing it 10+ times i really dont understand why they didn't cut the audience sound. For 90% of the time they sound like audio clips from free audio samples. Either way I love Clansman, FTGGOG and the evil.

All i want for christmas is producer who will bitchslap Steve every time he will say 'listen, i think that we should mix it that way'.

So, at this point, we can safely assume that new album's sound will be shitty, guitars muddy and raw. Steve's hearing not going any better, ya know. And the ones, who defending band's decisions, will defend them one more time. I'm begging, if anyone has even tinny connection to the band's inner circle, please, SPEAK LOUD AND CLEAR. STEVE, GET OUT OF MY LABORATORY MIXING DESK. Oh, I know, Steve's nephew Joe Lazarus is on Twitter, we all must politely tell him this horrible story about The Emperor's New Clothes The Man Who Can't Produce, If His Life Depended On It.:rolleyes::D
Fluent English speakers must write long letter about ongoing production problem. And that the band of their status has no excuses, for what they are doing.

So, at this point, we can safely assume that new album's sound will be shitty, guitars muddy and raw. Steve's hearing not going any better, ya know. And the ones, who defending band's decisions, will defend them one more time. I'm begging, if anyone has even tinny connection to the band's inner circle, please, SPEAK LOUD AND CLEAR. STEVE, GET OUT OF MY LABORATORY MIXING DESK. Oh, I know, Steve's nephew Joe Lazarus is on Twitter, we all must politely tell him this horrible story about The Emperor's New Clothes The Man Who Can't Produce, If His Life Depended On It.:rolleyes::D
Fluent English speakers must write long letter about ongoing production problem. And that the band of their status has no excuses, for what they are doing.

Speak for yourself.

Back