Nights of the Dead, Legacy of the Beast: Live in Mexico City (new live album)

as for the sound it sounds worse than the killers tour fm bootlegs. For an album of such a successful tour released on two different vinyl editions I believe this is just unacceptable.
The vinyl version at least doesn't leave you with a headache like the CD does.

Opinion from Russian forum:
"Всё же опасения оправдались. Звук отстойнейший. Сильно вывели барабаны и бас, у соло всех гитар сильно переборщили с эффектом эхо, хотя с самими гитарами совсем каша и практически не слышно. Ах да, клавишные в некоторых песнях слышны лучше, чем гитары! Это как вообще у Мэйденов? Вообще не понимаю, зачем такое УГ выпускать. печально, что любимая группа выпустила такой позорный плевок в сторону фанатов. "
--
Google translate:
Nevertheless, the fears were justified. The sound sucks. The drums and bass were strongly removed (moved forward?), the solos of all guitars were greatly overdone with the echo effect, although with the guitars themselves it was completely messy and almost inaudible. Oh yes, keyboards are heard better in some songs than guitars! Is it like the Maiden in general? I don’t understand why such a UG (utter shit) should be produced. it is sad that the beloved group released such a shameful spit towards the fans.
---
If you're businessman, you can't close your eyes to what majority of your consumers speak. It is damaging to your reputation and enterprise value. Problem may be, Rod and the Band doesn't know opinion of the fans about problems with production.

Although I really like the original studio version of TWM solo, I'm glad that we have this alternate solo for it released on a live album.

Great improvisation from Adrian. The only remark is the intro riff (like in 2MTM), which is too low in the mix.

Last edited:
--
Google translate:
Nevertheless, the fears were justified. The sound sucks. The drums and bass were strongly removed (moved forward?), the solos of all guitars were greatly overdone with the echo effect, although with the guitars themselves it was completely messy and almost inaudible. Oh yes, keyboards are heard better in some songs than guitars! Is it like the Maiden in general? I don’t understand why such a UG (utter shit) should be produced. it is sad that the beloved group released such a shameful spit towards the fans.
---
To be honest, this is how Maiden sounded during the last tour(s), not?

"Is it like the Maiden in general?"

Yes it is like the Maiden in general.

Last edited:
Guys, maybe you can correct the errors and then repost:

Dear, Joe Lazarus, I‘m nobody to you, but I am a fan of Iron Maiden, and I wanted to tell you about this ongoing battle between Maiden fans. Since the reunion, there is ongoing arguing about how band‘s albums are produced. Most of us are satisfied with how Brave New World album sounds, and most of us don‘t like how Dance Of Death album was not mastered (Steve liked how it sounded beforehand) etc.

I can speak only for myself, but nonetheless, there is a strong opinion that Steve Harris is not a good producer. Starting with The X Factor, which is great album musically, but production desires to be better. I don‘t want to insult You, or the Great bass player and songwriter Steve Harris, whom fan I am, but the truth must be spoken.

Maiden has just released Nights of the Dead, live album, and again many fans are not happy with how it is produced. Guitars are buried in the mix, drums and vocals are too loud. I fully understand that Maiden is Steve‘s band and he is the Boss, but for the sake of greater good (better sounding albums) changes must be done.

Example, Judas Priest‘s „Firepower“, which has two producers at the helm, sounds miles better than Redeemer of Souls which was produced by Glen Tipton. Another example, fans were not happy how Metallica‘s album Death Magnetic was overcompressed and clipping. Metallica did take notes, and next album Hardwired.. to Self destruct sounds much better.

As for Iron Maiden, please abandon „live in the studio“ album recording style. Enough of „let‘s capture how we sound on stage“ attitude. I don‘t like muddy and raw sounding guitars. 80‘s albums were polished and sound great. They were perfected in many takes by playing of each individual instrument.

If you‘re in such position, please tell to your Uncle, that fans are begging for changes in production department. Once again, I fully understand that Steve loves being involved in many aspects of his band, but with all due respect, the production department is clearly not one of his strengths.

Not intended to insult but for the sake of greater good.

(EDITED: Strike-through. That seems like a bad idea)

Last edited:
Dance of death wasn't mastered? I think OP mean AMOLAD (questionable decission,if they didn't want it loud they could use Bob Ludwig and get the non loud mastering) which I've also seen referred as in-house mastering by Kevin Shirley. As for metallica, I dont think they took notes for Death Magnetic, lars turned against the fans who disliked it and Hardwired is equally bad. Now, when it comes to production, while maiden have 3 guitars you can't understand that cause they are buried, on book of souls extra instruments (strings etc) make the sound even more muffled due to Kevin's bad mixing. I don't know whether that Live thing is good or bad but bruce's voice on TBOS could use some rest and more takes, also he is using too much his strained upper range and it was a chore listening to the album sometimes. Also the producer should trim the fat cause maiden have a lot since they started making music for cd. I really dont think Shirley is the producer maiden deserve really. As for Steve, his ego is a blessing and a curse, he is the reason Iron Maiden exist and are that big,he is the reason probably that SiT didnt turn into a tattooed millionaire, he is the reason maiden chose Blaze Bayley and not some Bruce copy and we got the masterpiece that is X Factor but he is also the reason for long boring formulaic songs that are all the same, start slow progress into a heavier part, then into a boring chorus where bruce just repeats the name of the song or something some times then slow again without many changes, he is also the reason Death on the road had epilepsy warnings and probably the reason for the bad mixes and masters

The Maiden camp don’t care what people think since the fans are buying their products anyway. Only very low sales will probably make them think: What did we do wrong here?

I haven’t heard the album yet so I will not comment anything about it. Whatever it will sound like, I’m looking forward to hear a new live album.

Shameful spit? What a bunch of wankers.
Not really? The guitarists (other than Jan) do tend to use a fair bit of effects, and drums and bass are pretty dominant in the live mix along with the vocals, but the keys if anything were pretty muted when I saw them in 2018 and it's not like the guitars were entirely distant and impossible to discern either. They boosted them more than enough for riff intros, solos/leads and harmony sections, which is decidedly not what this live album does. Also, the drums sounded massive, especially the toms. Again, unlike the live album.

Criticizing a Google Translate version of somebody's rant featuring untranslatable local proverbs about a product they (presumably) bought and paid for also seems like a fool's errand to me.

My experience as well.

Btw guitars way too reverb-y might be the guitarist’s fault... And whoever still blames Shirley? He’s one of the absolute best!

DoD was recorded in analog tape, the mastering was criticised. I downmixed the dvd audio for a better experience cause there are some good songs in it (rainmaker,dod,paschendale,montsegur,journeyman,face in the sand) The cover was also unfinished if you mean that

DoD was recorded in analog tape, the mastering was criticised. I downmixed the dvd audio for a better experience cause there are some good songs in it (rainmaker,dod,paschendale,montsegur,journeyman,face in the sand) The cover was also unfinished if you mean that
Shitty cover artwork, yes. :D But also there were problems with how Steve liked album's raw? sound, but as a product it was unfinished.

How was it unfinished? They recorded it and liked what they heard and released it. Seems finished to me. It might not be enjoyed by everyone, but that doesn’t make it unfinished.

When I think unfinished, I usually think of left over demo material never recorded and/or released because a member of the band died. All of Maiden’s albums, liked or not, are finished products.

DOD and AMOLAD both were not mastered. In the case of DOD they took a CD that Kevin quickly limited just for Steve to listen to in his car. Steve liked it, so it became the master. With AMOLAD it was more deliberate, because Kevin had had some bad experiences with mastering IIRC, so they just took his final mixes.

How was it unfinished? They recorded it and liked what they heard and released it. Seems finished to me. It might not be enjoyed by everyone, but that doesn’t make it unfinished.
Defenders will Defend. DOD sounds bad. It's a Fact. Period.

And those are still finished products, because at the end of the day, it’s what the artist wanted. At least that’s how I see it.

And those are still finished products, because at the end of the day, it’s what the artist wanted. At least that’s how I see it.
Album did not undergo full production cycle. Yes, it was artistical decision but it didn't turned out to be any good.

Back