Nights of the Dead, Legacy of the Beast: Live in Mexico City (new live album)

I'm about halfway through this album and once I "acclimated" to the sound, I'm floored more and more by the performance. If you go in specifically looking for flaws and imperfections with the sound quality or performance, you're going to find it. But as a live album I think it is phenomenal and several steps above Live Chapter. I couldn't get over how good FTGGOG sounded.

Exactly.

What you should be looking for is whether it's a good performance from the band. There's no point having pristine production if the performance is dogshit. On the other hand A Real Dead One has dogshit production (and some dogshit performances:lol:) but the energy of the version of Hallowed on it is still the definitive one for me.

Only listened through to Revelations on my way into work. Nicko sounds INSANE on this album. His chemistry with Steve Harris is still Heavy Metal magic to my ears. Kind of a shame Bruce was rushing super hard on The Clansman, I thought it was amazing before he came in.

Last edited:
The official shop hasn't still sent my preordered limited coloured vinyl..
I preordered it as soon as it went alive and was available, now it's just hanging and says unfulfilled.
I've sent email and feedback but no-one has answered to me, so this seems like good customer service.

The official shop hasn't still sent my preordered limited coloured vinyl..
I preordered it as soon as it went alive and was available, now it's just hanging and says unfulfilled.
I've sent email and feedback but no-one has answered to me, so this seems like good customer service.

Mine is saying unfulfilled too.

I did notice that they billed me straight away when I placed the order though, it's usually customary to bill when an order is shipped.

Mine is saying unfulfilled too.

I did notice that they billed me straight away when I placed the order though, it's usually customary to bill when an order is shipped.

That depends on the store, some take the money straightaway (when place order or preorder) and some until the order is being dispatched.
Hope that we will get our items soon to be shipped.

I was gonna write a bigger “review” of the NOTD but I think I’ll just keep it brief.

It’s actually way better than what I was expecting based on the criticisms in this thread. Bruce sounds as good as I was expecting; sure he’s off here and there but I think he still sounds pretty solid throughout. The production isn’t great but it doesn’t truly hamper the experience for me. What this album fails at is truly recapturing the spark that the entire tour was littered with. I remember telling a friend that I wished Maiden would use someone like Sneap for a LOTB live release, and while I don’t 100% agree with that anymore, I do feel the album should’ve felt MASSIVE and instead it really doesn’t. I wasn’t looking forward to 2MTM as much as the other songs until that riff kicked in and hit me like a sledgehammer. Yet on the album it sounds... weak. Wicker Man’s fared a lot better though.

The one song that truly captured all the pizzazz of the actual concert experience was... Flight Of Icarus. That song sounds so awesome and it was the one time where I could really see the spectacle as if I was there. What makes Icarus such a great song live is that the chorus doesn’t have those ridiculous multi-tracked vocals and so when Bruce (and Adrian) do it live it sounds HUGE. Both NOTD’s and LAD’s performances are way better than on the original POM album.

All in all — it’s still a good album. Maybe it all comes down to expecting too much from Maiden. I was expecting a mammoth of a release. Instead they just gave us a typical Iron Maiden live record. And I think, all in all, I’m okay with that. But it still makes me wonder about what could’ve been instead.

If it is possible to change nicknames in this forum, I want to take "Nicko's Cymbals". Nicko's Right Foot would not be bad either, however, it would do injustice to his work on hi-hat.

By the way, the admin corrected "the Clansmen" on Spotify. Now it sounds even better.

The Clansman dropped the "The" on Apple Music for some reason, while the The Wicker Man has the same misspelling as Spotify. I'm impressed. Somehow, someone, somewhere, managed to get The Clansman's title wrong in two different ways on two different services.
We've already established who:

rod-2-jpg.13179

Anyway, I've started to enjoy the album. Thank H for vinyl and not super headache-giving mastering.

So, to summarise:

The actual performances are fine, but literally everything else about the album is a complete mess.

Weird things as some guitars being pushed upfront on the choruses of FOTD. Pros and cons..as I've listened to the album now many times.
This is ok and good live-album but somethings just not as good as could be, unfornately. That echo on Winston's voice in the intro..I bet that the intro ain't from real concert it's just some od audience stuff and then echo effected Winston. Someone said (was it on FC-forum?) that Steve and someone else must have recorded their own little audience voices throughout the album, lol.

Back