Nights of the Dead, Legacy of the Beast: Live in Mexico City (new live album)

Looking forward to getting a new version of Sign of the Cross, really liked how Adrian reworked his part in that song, unlike on the Brave New World tour he now plays during the intro and he also added new harmonies to Janick's parts.

there's no real reason to buy albums only to let them be in shrinkwrap or never to be played.
That's their choice.
I have always played my albums, everyone single piece (lp+cd+cassette etc) gets played and as they were made to be listened, not to collect dust and look at.
That's your choice.

As far as this new cd, I won't be buying it. It has nothing to do with sound or art or any other topic discussed in this thread.

I have all the Maiden I want. Around 20 albums or so. For me, that's plenty. I'm not gonna buy it just because it's Maiden and I don't have it.

However, I have been toying with the idea of getting a new poster for my fort.

Last edited:
I'm reconsidering. Might buy it, the visual presentations are very cool. Still not very happy about the production, but it is what it is.

Flight of Icarus was the centrepiece for me, but Sign of the Cross was great.

The first show of the tour in Tallinn... Already heard stuff like WED, The Clansman and For the Greater Good of God for the first time - and those, at least the first mentioned, were expected to be in the set. Then, right after The Wicker Man, Sign of the Cross intro chant begins... I was blown away. Absolutely_blown_away.

And then, Flight of Icarus, with that huge Icarus and Bruce with flamethrowers. Unlike SOTC, I definitely expected Icarus to be played, but the it was delivered... and overall, the way those two classic Maiden songs were presented in the set was, for me anyway, phenomenal.

I felt so lucky. And I definitely am very lucky. I've been - probably - a bit too sentimental about some of these things over various different topics dealing with more recent Maiden tours and their setlist selections, but fuck me, back in, say ten years ago, I honestly didn't expect to hear so many of my bucket list songs being played live within 5 years between 2013-2018. Even if that all came with the cost of not hearing Infinite Dreams... :p

I also have an tendency to complain about various things here. I would have preferred some 2018 show, since Bruce sounded much better and I'm definitely not too happy with the production approach of this live album either, but regardless, I'm very pretty to have an official live release from this tour. Probably going to pre-order the Deluxe 2CD and I'll get the black vinyl at later date.

The setlist for the LOTB tour was fantastic. I would have only dropped The Clansman and replaced it with another war-themed song, as I think Maiden have loads that are significantly better (e.g. Paschendale, The Longest Day, Brighter than a Thousand Suns, These Colours Don't Run, Afraid to Shoot Strangers...).

Looking forward to getting a new version of Sign of the Cross, really liked how Adrian reworked his part in that song, unlike on the Brave New World tour he now plays during the intro and he also added new harmonies to Janick's parts.
I enjoy the harmonies, don't get me wrong, but I'm pretty sure they're those simple octave down parts he tends to do when they're not feeling particularly creative so they're not that amazing. It also lacks the drop D crunch that we got on Rock in Rio which certainly elevated the sound of some of the songs on that album. I still argue it's the best Maiden's ever sounded on record, live or in the studio.

there are cool pictures in the deluxe edition booklet but they're broken by the spine and that's so terrible for the fan who spent a lot of money on it. I've seen the same in the Judas Priest book trailer the other day. Cool pictures but broken by the spine of the book. I would go for the normal double cd format with the normal cd booklet much easier to handle.

I enjoy the harmonies, don't get me wrong, but I'm pretty sure they're those simple octave down parts he tends to do when they're not feeling particularly creative so they're not that amazing. It also lacks the drop D crunch that we got on Rock in Rio which certainly elevated the sound of some of the songs on that album. I still argue it's the best Maiden's ever sounded on record, live or in the studio.

I wasn't aware that Maiden had ever recorded (live or in studio) in Drop D tuning - this is interesting to read.

Back