Nights of the Dead, Legacy of the Beast: Live in Mexico City (new live album)

The album was actually planned well before the pandemic. But yeah, it's a really piss poor effort.

Was it? As far as I know their plan was to record and release a live album and video recording of one of the 2020 stadium gigs (Barcelona being strongly rumoured to be their choice).

NOTD was an afterthought, a poorly “produced” live album presented in a lavish package attractive to Maiden fans/collectors to make up for the loss of income associated with the postponed gigs. A shame, because the tour was great and the band were on fire, especially in 2018.

I still have not bought or heard this album.
I did not do this on purpose, but in the end I think it's a good minute "nod" to Maiden of mine:

Just release a studio album and then I may pay heed to this. First things first.

Last edited:
I did not do this on purpose, but in the end I think it a good minute "nod" to Maiden of mine:

Just release a studio album and then I may pay heed to this. First things first.

100% agree (But I heard it).
First album of theirs I didn't buy. I chose not to.
To me it's rushed, as a release, bad artwork and unnecessary without a video format to go with it.

Despite it's overall still acceptably good, it's my least favourite live release since 1999.

I'll pre-order/buy the new album as soon as they give me the link, though!

As you said.
First things first!

I liked the packaging so I’m satisfied enough. It’s not bad, it’s just a bit underwhelming.

It’s not up to Maiden’s post reunion standards. But I’d rather have it as it is than not at all.

Serious question. Were the audience in Mexico City made entirely of white noise? Was every seat occupied by a CRT television picking up a static signal?

Bruce - "Two minutes to..."
Audience - "KKKKKHHHHHGGGGGCCCCZZZZ!"

Shambles of an album.

Rock in Rio 2019 is much better sounding if you need an audio document of the tour you can extract the audio,its probably not lossless but its decent

tenor.gif
How do you post gifs here btw?

Rock in Rio 2019 is much better sounding if you need an audio document of the tour you can extract the audio,its probably not lossless but its decent
Much like in Nights Of The Dead, Bruce's voice is also utterly thrashed in RIR 2019 due to health complications.
During the 2018 leg, on the other hand, he sounded pretty ok. Even better than during the Book Of Souls Tour IMO. And the remainder of the band also sounded tighter.

Last edited:
I'm listening to it now. Man, poor Bruce.
I heard the reason they don't tune down is because Steve refuses to, and if that's the case then he is making the wrong decision.
Bruce is straining very hard and does not sound good. It's not his fault, he's over 60 and after throat cancer. All things considered, it's a miracle he can even hit the notes at all. I think he'd sound great in D or even C or B.
Even if Steve doesn't want to tune down, Roy Z wrote Bruce songs in the key of D 25 years ago. Why do Maiden keep writing songs in E is beyond me. I love how TWOTW is in D, and I hope most songs on the album won't be higher than that.

I'm listening to it now. Man, poor Bruce.
I heard the reason they don't tune down is because Steve refuses to, and if that's the case then he is making the wrong decision.
Bruce is straining very hard and does not sound good. It's not his fault, he's over 60 and after throat cancer. All things considered, it's a miracle he can even hit the notes at all. I think he'd sound great in D or even C or B.
Even if Steve doesn't want to tune down, Roy Z wrote Bruce songs in the key of D 25 years ago. Why do Maiden keep writing songs in E is beyond me. I love how TWOTW is in D, and I hope most songs on the album won't be higher than that.
Bruce doesn't want to tune down either. I am sure Steve would do so if Bruce wanted to.

As far as the solo stuff goes, some of those songs are really high as well. Bruce would struggle with those too. Tuning isn't everything.

Bruce doesn't want to tune down either. I am sure Steve would do so if Bruce wanted to.

As far as the solo stuff goes, some of those songs are really high as well. Bruce would struggle with those too. Tuning isn't everything.

If that's the case, Bruce is wrong too. He needs to understand that he is freaking 61 years old. He is still a fantastic singer, but he needs to sing in an appropriate key.

If someone knows about an interview or something where someone in the band directly refers to tuning down, I'd love to know.

EDIT: I also heard that Bruce had the flu in Mexico? If someone has a recent example of Bruce sounding great I'd love to hear it. I could be totally wrong about him not being able to sound good in the key of E.

I think people need to come to terms with the fact that Bruce chooses to sing in Air Raid Siren mode, it's nothing to do with the key of the song. Some of the most extreme Air Raid Siren singing is in D, Lord of the Flies from DOTR and Mother of Mercy are two examples. He could easily sing any of that stuff an octave lower. He chooses not to. Nothing to do with Big Bad Steve.

Yeah, it is a bad live album by all means. You guys are right. The 2018 leg of the tour was amazing though

I think people need to come to terms with the fact that Bruce chooses to sing in Air Raid Siren mode, it's nothing to do with the key of the song. Some of the most extreme Air Raid Siren singing is in D, Lord of the Flies from DOTR and Mother of Mercy are two examples. He could easily sing any of that stuff an octave lower. He chooses not to. Nothing to do with Big Bad Steve.
Listening to LOTF from DOTR. Sounds really cool, but it's from 18 years ago, and also they just modulated it to E from F#. It's still too high for current Bruce, IMO.
As for Mother of Mercy, you're right. And he sounds strained in the chorus, even in the Studio recording.

I did not do this on purpose, but in the end I think it's a good minute "nod" to Maiden of mine:

Don't sweat it I haven't heard this album either.

Back