Nicko McBrain

I still don't know where to find these comments. Would someone copy paste these (both Nicko and Steve) on this forum and post a link to the source? Without having read them yet, I'm already very surprised and not happy about this. Especially curious about the printed magazine. Why was this never discussed before? Scan please. Let's end these 36 years of "censorship".

I will try and encourage a Maiden fan who went to one of Nicko's clinics to join our discussion.

Many people have immigrated to the UK but that says nothing about integration.
I'd say the UK's integration is crap. Not that it is (that) good anywhere else, but I am convinced the UK has not the best integration from Europe.

Brexit is the best argument, there is huge misunderstanding and intolerance towards foreigners.

@harrisdevot

Yes all albums have been available anywhere and they have been discussed. They are very known. These utterings are not widely known. Just a few out here, to be counted on one (two or three fingered) hand, knew this. Why was this never brought up here. Shame?
Personnaly, for the reasons I gave in some post above, I did not feel any need or urge to adress those matters. The man is not just my favorite musician, he is like a living god to me, and has been so for the last 36 years. And to worsen my case, there quite a few things they said in early interviews I don't wish to discuss. That said, when Ghostofcain disclosed the matter, I openly discussed it.

I'd say the UK's integration is crap. Not that it is (that) good anywhere else, but I am convinced the UK has not the best integration from Europe.

Brexit is the best argument, there is huge misunderstanding and intolerance towards foreigners.

Well, it certainly beats the integration I have seen in the Netherlands, Germany, France, Italy or Spain, to mention some examples of countries I know well. Furthermore, it is much easier to become a Brit than to become a German, a Spaniard, or a Dutch.

On a related note, the moment you meet people that are in favour of Brexit and have no problems with foreigners you realise that it is not all about immigration. I know what I am talking about, as technically I was a foreigner in the UK until recently. ;)

Personnaly, for the reasons I gave in some post above, I did not feel any need or urge to adress those matters. The man is not just my favorite musician, he is like a living god to me, and has been so for the last 36 years. And to worsen my case, there quite a few things they said in early interviews I don't wish to discuss. That said, when Ghostofcain disclosed the matter, I openly discussed it.

Do you have any other worrying examples? Thanks.

So, here an abstract. I took the time to read the whole interview again. It's incredible how offensive and provocative they are towards the two guys. Just notice how they translate Harry's accent ("wiv" "somethink": unbearable despise towards his social origins). The matters we have discussed (but I didn't realize that noone had actually read the thing) are in the two central columns.
Edit : NME may 8th 1982. A guy wearing an Eddie mask on the cover.

1516219337-numerisation0200.jpg

These utterings are not widely known. Just a few out here, to be counted on one (two or three fingered) hand, knew this. Why was this never brought up here. Shame?

Perhaps Rod Smallwood has been clever enough to hide these things. How many journalists have challenged Steve regarding the (alleged) plagiarism of Beckett's material? How many would dare to ask him about this NME interview nowadays? None. Otherwise they will lose their perks...

So, here an abstract. I took the time to read the whole interview again. It's incredible how offensive and provocative they are towards the two guys. Just notice how they translate Harry's accent ("wiv" "somethink": unbearable despise towards his social origins). The matters we have discussed (but I didn't realize that noone had actually read the thing) are in the two central columns.
Edit : NME may 8th 1982. A guy wearing an Eddie mask on the cover.

1516219337-numerisation0200.jpg

Thanks a lot for that scan, it is really appreciated.

The way they mock Steve's working class accent is fairly offensive. That being said, some of the things Steve says are not nice at all, in particular the bit about racial integration not being possible. Anyway, I hope he is much wiser nowadays.

Don't forget that the Brexit vote was only won by 51.9%.

Nearly HALF the country wished to remain in Europe.

And for those that did vote leave, their reasons are not exactly clear.

It would be wrong to assume it was based purely on immigration. A large part of the campaign to leave was based on control of money and laws.

Please don't base Brexit on intolerance to foreigners. That is a bit simplistic and short-sighted (although I am sure that some may have voted based on those reasons)

Most countries are probably just as guilty, because countries are led by politicians ;)

Thanks a lot for that scan, it is really appreciated.

The way they mock Steve's working class accent is fairly offensive. That being said, some of the things Steve says are not nice at all, in particular the bit about racial integration not being possible. Anyway, I hope he is much wiser nowadays.
He went quite far to answer the provocation. I mean, "screwing a bird"!. Has he ever said such a thing in another interview? No wonder this particular interview is mentionned in the official bio.

Steve has described himself as a skinhead when he was young, which, as specified above, doesn't mean he was a far-right militant. He was just an hardcore West-Ham fan. And at the time, he listened to reggae!
I didn't know that about Steve, thanks for the info. But I am pretty sure Dave said/ was said to be a skinhead when he was a younger teen.

What matters is that the word didn't have the same meaning back then. Basically hardcore football fans drinking beer and listening to music. Isn't East End the birthplace of the whole thing ?

Interview is a stitch up job alright, but I'd say Steve would be embarrassed if he saw that now, they obviously were a lot less "media savvy" than they are these days, especially in dealing with an interviewer who was hostile to them and trying to goad them into justifying the hostility.

Interview is a stitch up job alright, but I'd say Steve would be embarrassed if he saw that now, they obviously were a lot less "media savvy" than they are these days, especially in dealing with an interviewer who was hostile to them and trying to goad them into justifying the hostility.
What exemplifies the evolution of the media (and their speed and influence) pretty well is that they alluded to Rob Halford being gay as early as 1982 and nobody outside the milieu heard about it (from Rob himself by the way) until ten years later or so.

That interview is what triggered this discussion?

There is nothing in there apart their inability to properly respond to provocations, as already concluded. What they did say is that they would have no problems with gay member and that Harris doesn't judge people by race or nationality.

Back