NEWS: Maiden have started writing NEW material!

Well, except for the album title bogus (which I think he mentioned on purpose to stir up the debate), the rest is pretty coherent. 6 six pratically done, then we have half of the album, at least, set up for good. And I hope it's really good.

They played 8/10 songs of Brave New World  10/10 songs from A Matter of Life and Death, so there's not much to explore when it comes to the live experience from those two albums. I would like to see the 5 songs from Dance of Death who didn't make it live. But it would highlight the fact that Maiden is still an active band, not just a bunch of old guys living off the 80's :P

Habberdasher said:
One of my complaints about the Shirley produced albums are similar to the "Don't you think I'm a savior" comment above. There is a lot of repetition of riffs, lyrics, etc. While we love the epics, every song doesn't have to be over 7 minutes. Quiet intro/outros are nice to set the mood, but again, not every song.

I doubt anyone can really overrule Steve at this point, but a little more editing can go a long way. Would anyone be upset if the next album was 9 tracks and under 50 minutes, as long as the same overall quality was in the songwritting? And if if was that short, AND they played the whole thing on the next tour, we'd get more than 5 classics!
But we have three guitarists who want to each contribute to each song. I think that is why the songs have been on the average of 7 minutes on the last album.

Reumeren said:
I would like to see the 5 songs from Dance of Death who didn't make it live.

I wouldn't. I rather hope for a lot of new stuff and I still wish for that one rare* 1986-1998 song to (re)introduce in the setlist. Only one? Yes I'd like to keep my hopes extremely low.

*rare -> in this case that's not:
- Wasted Years
- Heaven Can Wait
- Can I Play With Madness
- The Evil That Men Do
- The Clairvoyant
- Bring Your Daughter ... To The Slaughter
- Fear of the Dark
- Lord of the Flies

Why not rare** songs from before 1986? I don't believe in fairytales. Not a chance, nada, 0,00000000000000%.

**other songs besides:
- Iron Maiden
- Running Free
- Sanctuary
- Wrathchild
- Beast
- RTTH
- COTD
- Hallowed
- Revelations
- DWYBO
- Trooper
- 2 Minutes to Midnight

**other songs besides:
- Iron Maiden
- Running Free
- Sanctuary
- Wrathchild
- Beast
- COTD
- Hallowed
- Revelations
- DWYBO
- Trooper
- 2 Minutes to Midnight
and of course RTTH.

Derek Smalls said:
But we have three guitarists who want to each contribute to each song. I think that is why the songs have been on the average of 7 minutes on the last album.

:blink: the solos ain't any longer, Derek. As usual, about 40" per song

I just want Maiden to play Alexander the Great or The Loneliness or Flash of the Blade or any other song that has either never been played or has been played less than three times.

That sentence doesn't seem grammatically correct to me, but whatever.

If this is really the case:

.. then I find this an unusual development. I thought Maiden always went for relatively quick writing sessions, at least since VXI.

The stuff various people came up with might not be (good) enough to start/complete the recordings yet, or other circumstances might have delayed matters. So I am glad the guys take time to write more songs, which is better than a rushy recording with so-so material. On the other hand, if these 8 songs are very strong songs, they certainly don't need to write 2 extra ones purely for the sake of having at least 10 tracks. (Unless these later songs will be even better of course).

Whatever is going on, we really have to be more patient than ever. 5 years between studio albums... come on!

It's pointless to argue with a clairvoyant. He sees the future, we don't.

Forostar said:
If this is really the case:

.. then I find this an unusual development. I thought Maiden always went for relatively quick writing sessions, at least since VXI.

So was for an album not to be mastered  ;)

Forostar said:
Whatever is going on, we really have to be more patient than ever. 5 years between studio albums... come on!

That's true, but I'm ok with it! In fact, I would love to see these longer gaps since 90s.
I believe that Maiden would had written better music in the past if they were taking the time -just imagine :
A descend double CD with a nice booklet -I could wait one more year for this!

Nevertheless, here's my 5 cents: The biggest song from Dance of Death was Paschendale, which eventually influenced the next album AMOLAD
to an almost concept war album...

Now, the best song of AMOLAD is 1000 suns, which is a riff song. I'm feeling that this gonna be the compass for the 15th album, the riff guitar.
This could be this 'a little different than past albums' Nicko's statement regarding the material.
This would have been AWESOME, too  :ok:

On Friday, January 1, IRON MAIDEN drummer Nicko McBrain told Eddie Trunk — co-host of the VH1 Classic television program "That Metal Show" who has a long-running radio show, "Friday Night Rocks", on New York's Q104.3 FM — that the band will enter the studio in a couple weeks to start work on a new CD. According to Trunk, Nicko "said there was about eight songs written so far so the band would probably need to come up with a few more new songs while recording. [He added that] the material was a little different than past albums and they were taking their time with the recording schedule." McBrain also stated that the "new CD probably won't come out until 2011," according to Trunk.

I don't know if I like this possible year delay.
I mean, if the spent 4 years on production and writing then sure, take your time, but they seem to tkae the usual amount of time to do it, so why the delay?

1. They're 60 years old, and they've been touring for 30 years -they have families too!
2. One's living in Hawaii, another in Florida, so it's getting hard for them even to meet physically.
3. It's a job (for them) after all! I mean, you probably wouldn't go to work 5 days a week, if only 2 was enough to give you the same money, right ?? 

Will-I-Am said:
Nevertheless, here's my 5 cents: The biggest song from Dance of Death was Paschendale, which eventually influenced the next album AMOLAD
to an almost concept war album...

Now, the best song of AMOLAD is 1000 suns, which is a riff song. I'm feeling that this gonna be the compass for the 15th album, the riff guitar.
This could be this 'a little different than past albums' Nicko's statement regarding the material.

Wow, that's some random association there...

Definitely random. First random idea is that A Matter of Life and Death was inspired by lyrics, the next one will be inspired by riffs. That doesn't really make sense to me. Second random idea is that Paschendale is the best song on Dance of Death, which is an opinion, not a universal law. Third random idea is that Brighter Than a Thousand Suns is the best song on A Matter of Life and Death which again is opinion, not universal law. And so a randomly picked out song is supposed to become the foundation of the new album by some random criteria.

You know Perun, sometimes you give me the impression that you resist; not to say something, but for the sake of it.
Also this is not an academic lecture, only a music forum, where the common sense wins.

Perun said:
Definitely random. First random idea is that A Matter of Life and Death was inspired by lyrics, the next one will be inspired by riffs. That doesn't really make sense to me.

For you is a random thought; For me is simply a common sense that Paschendale inspired the whole AMOLAD

Perun said:
Second random idea is that Paschendale is the best song on Dance of Death, which is an opinion, not a universal law.

Again is a common sense Perun, even more than this. Arguably Paschendale is the most important song after the reunion.
Now maybe it is not a universal law, but as here is only a forum, I don't search /want for any universal laws, common sense wins.

Perun said:
Third random idea is that Brighter Than a Thousand Suns is the best song on A Matter of Life and Death which again is opinion, not universal law. And so a randomly picked out song is supposed to become the foundation of the new album by some random criteria.

Now this is a bit tougher, but only a bit : I remind you the words of Steve Harris when he was enthusiastic for playing live this number as well as Breeg
due to their riff based construction
I also recall Kerry King of Slayer saying that 'I like it, here Maiden are trying to do something different'
So yes, it's an opinion that is the best song of the album, it's not an opinion that here Maiden tried to do something different,
and most important : They are 100% aware of that fact.

Back