New Single - The Writing on the Wall

See, many of us complained about Wrathchild being too prevalent in their setlists over the years, now it inspired a cool new song on a new album ;)

I dunno if anyone else has pointed it out but during the bridge between solos (I believe thats the term, still a noob at these things), there's some acoustic guitars backing up the rhythm segment(also during Adrian's solo). Quite a nice bit of flair, I notice it mainly out of the right channel on my system. I like it a lot, I love listening for little audio easter eggs like that.

3 days in a row and my local rock station has played this song! As long as enough stations are playing it, that should mean it will get a better crowd reaction when Maiden performs it here in the USA.

Reactions: Gk1
And for the first time, our station played it twice within 8 hours. Once a little after noon and then a bit after 8 tonight. If Stratego gets added when that comes out, that will be really awesome!

I have to say TWotW has grown to become one of my favourites. I've been listening to it all the time since it came out and I still enjoy it a lot. You can hear every part of the song is an exploration based on a that strong idea by Adrian and it creates something really cohesive. The arrangement is rich, you can hear all 3 guitars utilised. I really like it and I'm curious if the other Smith/Dickinson tracks on the album are as good.

This is what i have always suspected listening to the recent albums that they don't workout and write their solos anymore and just go for it in the studio. It explains the lack of memorable solos (in my opinion). The only exception is the solo in TWOTW which Adrian took the time to write and the result is quite evident.

This is what i have always suspected listening to the recent albums that they don't workout and write their solos anymore and just go for it in the studio. It explains the lack of memorable solos (in my opinion). The only exception is the solo in TWOTW which Adrian took the time to write and the result is quite evident.

I thought Books of Souls is chalk full of good to great solos.

I thought Books of Souls is chalk full of good to great solos.
I felt the solos worked within the song but lacked structure. E.g with the Wicker Man solo there is a clear point A to point B to point C...opening melodic bit followed by a bluesy bit followed by a final flourish of fast notes. When you listen to that you instantly know this was not improvised but written. It is the same with TWOTW. I cannot seem to remember any solo on the Book of Souls, and i would normally remember note for note, every Adrian solo of the classic albums or from BNW, DoD, AMOLAD. I think H probably still refines the solos for his own songs when he makes the demo, but the epics which are written by Steve or Janick suffer from this in the last two albums. Just my own opinion.

Last edited:
I would really like to know from other guitarists on this board that took the time to study and learn all the H solos (2 mins to midnight, Aces high, wicker man, wasted years, paschendale, different world etc) whether they feel the same way.

Tears of a Clown, Death or Glory stick out for me, off the top of my head. Speed of Light was fun and The Man of Sorrows interesting.

In the newest "in the studio" video Adrian reveals the secret about who wrote the lyrics: He had the title "The Writing On The Wall", Bruce came up with the Belshazzar connection and wrote the rest of the lyrics around it. Adrian also had the title for "Darkest Hour", and I remember it was similar with "Speed Of Light" too. So he tends to come up with titles for songs regularly.

Back