New single: Stratego

That’s a great statement…nowadays Maiden.

What do you mean by vamp key?

Im really loving the solo now by the way. Janick articulates every note clearly and it’s jam packed with licks. I count 9. Nice tone. The whole song has a bit of darkness to it and the solo adds to that emotion. Kind of cuts it’s way along the galloping rhythm in Janick’s unique jagged way and I love how Nicko goes heavy on the symbols during the second bar of the solo.
'Vamp' key/chord is a term invented by a great guitarist from here and it means that the chord/key in which the solo's played over don't move to other keys, but, only on intervals circling that key. Jan's solo is great, but, underneath it, the harmony does not change, same as in 'The Pilgrim'.

Last edited:
I actually like the less obvious route Maiden took in naming the track. It differentiates them from 100s of other powermetal bands. I am also glad there is no Babylon in the album title for the same reason
Agree about the first part of your comment. As for the second part, Babylon would have been a better album title imo.
It is modern Maiden, it's nowadays Maiden (as it's always been, in each moment, through the years)

...which is another new Maiden vibe, but, you listen to both and, instantly, you know it's Maiden.
True that. Both songs have new/unique vibe, but it's Maiden 100%.

Last edited:
I saw that Anthony Fantano (aka The Needle Drop) really hated “Stratego.” Called it one of the band’s absolute worst songs. He’s usually a fan of their rockers, so I thought he might dig it.
He’s a decent reviewer, but his opinions tend to align so hard with mainstream opinion I stopped watching him. He’s very much in the “these bands should go back to their roots” kinda reviewer which i always get sick of.

For what I've been listening and following Maiden since the 80's..I have never cared about what some journalists, friends, or anybody else had to say about their songs or albums. I've read music magazines all the way from those days, but I never trusted anybody's opinion much at all, I just have made my own mind about things how I feel about them or how I comprehend them. But if I have to read any reviews, I might take look at them mostly after I have listened to the new Maiden-album, other bands and artists I might even think of reading before I hear a note of any song.
Some journalists really write good reviews, but I don't like they way some prefer to write simple, minimalistic reviews of few paragraphs and such, that doesn't really bring it to the reader much at all that what kind of album it is or how the songs are. I like detailed and wellwritten reviews always.
Also, have to remind everyone, this all the wait and looking forward to the new album is great time, but one shouldn't too much keep on reading reviews or watch these nerds go over the whole matter, as it might spoilt some of the excitement of the first listen.
This whole case of reading reviews of upcoming albums is similar to some movies and tv-series, if you've been too much reading and hearing comments before you start to watch it, then it might affect on how you feel when you experience the thing for the first time.

For what I've been listening and following Maiden since the 80's..I have never cared about what some journalists, friends, or anybody else had to say about their songs or albums. I've read music magazines all the way from those days, but I never trusted anybody's opinion much at all, I just have made my own mind about things how I feel about them or how I comprehend them. Also, have to remind everyone, this all the wait and looking forward to the new album is great time, but one shouldn't too much keep on reading reviews or watch these nerds go over the whole matter, as it might spoilt some of the excitement of the first listen.
This whole case of reading reviews of upcoming albums is similar to some movies and tv-series, if you've been too much reading and hearing comments before you start to watch it, then it might affect on how you feel when you experience the thing for the first time.
+The early reviews seem to exaggerate most of the times. It is like if they a love or hate relatioship they push their reviews to the extreme.

Then you get reviews like.."their best album ever" or "they should retire".

I have a review from 1986 saying SIT has 3 great songs (Harris ones), 1 boring repetitive (Déjà-Vu) and 3 gaffes from Smith, with screaming deffects on its melodic structure and rhythm (what a load of crap!). A review has more validity when it describes the songs, not only the judgement if the reviewer liked it or not.

I'm very surprised with all the positivity, really.

The song still didn't click on me.

Maybe it's Janick following Bruce on the verses, causing Bruce to sound even lower in the mix. But then again, I'm a big fan of TRATB and the same feature is used there (and I absolutely love it). This time, on the other hand, it just doesn't sound good for me - at least for now.

Let's see if it's a grower.

Also, the keyboards disturb me a little bit, just like they disturbed me by the end of TRATB on live chapter.

I'm still a little bit confused and I don't know what to think.

Oh, but the chorus is beautiful and I'm pretty sure it will sound better live.

Look. That's me from a not very distant past (5 days ago).

The song has grown on me very much.

I don't mind anymore Janick following Bruce on the verses. Actually, I think it's cool now.

Stratego isn't a fanstatic song, but now I find it very, very fun. The verses are very catchy and the chorus is amazing. The only thing that still disturbes me a little bit is that Nightwish type of sound. For my taste, the keyboard is a bit higher on the mix, but it isn't a big deal anyway.

For me, it went from a 5.5/10 to a solid 7.5/10.

Great single! Can't wait for the new album.

I have a review from 1986 saying SIT has 3 great songs (Harris ones), 1 boring repetitive (Déjà-Vu) and 3 gaffes from Smith, with screaming deffects on its melodic structure and rhythm (what a load of crap!). A review has more validity when it describes the songs, not only the judgement if the reviewer liked it or not.
You can read below my review of 'TBoS - The Live Chapter' (sorry, it's in french). In it I was not judging this live album simply with my feelings or emotions I had when listening to it, but I analyzed it objectively, rationnally. That's what a journalist has to do. And about the review you're talking about, I'm very surprised as it's not journalism as the guy who wrote that in 1986 was just giving his opinion about what he felt while listening to this great Maiden album. OK, it was not 'Powerslave', but 'SiT' is strong, futuristic and creative. At least it sounded modern when it was released.

You can read below my review of 'TBoS - The Live Chapter' (sorry, it's in french). In it I was not judging this live album simply with my feelings or emotions I had when listening to it, but I analyzed it objectively, rationnally. That's what a journalist has to do. And about the review you're talking about, I'm very surprised as it's not journalism as the guy who wrote that in 1986 was just giving his opinion about what he felt while listening to this great Maiden album. OK, it was not 'Powerslave', but 'SiT' is strong, futuristic and creative. At least it sounded modern when it was released.

I didn't read your review, anyway. But, I will.

Back