New single: Stratego

The only weakness I see is that the main first 2 verses could have been sung more aggressively. It sounded too subdued for my taste. I love the rest of the vocals!!
I think the delivery of the verses is a good fit for the pre-chorus. Also, the lead melody under them is needed for the type of delivery of Bruce's vocals - with only the riff it will sound a bit odd, I think.

Janick's solo tone sounds like what he had on Brave New World WHICH IS GREAT. I didn't think he could play like that anymore... He hasn't done a solo this good sounding since 2003.

Can't remember what album he used the Peavey 5150 on for solos, might have been Dance of Death but even if that is the usual Marshall... Great effect setup.

YES! I only listened once but I love it. The flat five in the first riff sounds awesome, and generally this song is full of things that Maiden don't usually do. Nicko killed it here, and Bruce sounds great as well. The only downside, if you can call it that, is that Janick went with a standard "Janick" solo instead of doing something more interesting. It had an interesting bit in the middle, but other than that, standard.
I forgot to mention the production! Both this and TWOTW sound fantastic, much better than TBOS. I'm hyped as all hell.

Best use of guitar playing along with the vocal melody so far for me in Maiden (not the biggest fan of that feature in general). The lower register of the voice in the verses supports that. I like the solo - this is Jan as he is. This time it is not hyperdramatic but suits the song very well. Can't see where this is a "low point" in the song by no means. The interlude right after is so classic and features nice little phrasings by the four amigos. And then the building up of twin leads and vocal harmonies in the chorus... Just GREAT!

The vocal delivery during the verses is unique - can't really think of another Maiden song with such similar delivery of the vocals...

Reactions: jcv
I'm very surprised with all the positivity, really.

The song still didn't click on me.

Maybe it's Janick following Bruce on the verses, causing Bruce to sound even lower in the mix. But then again, I'm a big fan of TRATB and the same feature is used there (and I absolutely love it). This time, on the other hand, it just doesn't sound good for me - at least for now.

Let's see if it's a grower.

Also, the keyboards disturb me a little bit, just like they disturbed me by the end of TRATB on live chapter.

I'm still a little bit confused and I don't know what to think.

Oh, but the chorus is beautiful and I'm pretty sure it will sound better live.

I was just saying this in the Maidenfans Slack channel - this sounds like a song off Virtual XI but with better drums and Bruce, in a lot of ways. It feels like Janick has gone back to some of his earlier Maiden roots, and it sounds really fucking good.
It doesn't sound like a vxi song at all i think.

Back