New single: Stratego

I think one of my favorite aspects of the new song is the vocal layering and the addition of reverb - it makes the vocals sound larger and less dry. Maybe this is in part to account for some slight vocal decline who knows, but it seems really studio of Steve to do this when he's so adamant about keeping a live feel. I love how the vocals sound here and, based on what we've read already, it sounds like we can expect more of this on some of the other songs as well.

Listen to Stratego and then put on The Alchemist (Final Frontier, not Bruce solo version) and it's astounding how different they sound. The new tune is leagues better in terms of production.

I saw that Anthony Fantano (aka The Needle Drop) really hated “Stratego.” Called it one of the band’s absolute worst songs. He’s usually a fan of their rockers, so I thought he might dig it.

I've listened to this song several times since it has been released on Spotify and I've nothing to say except that the more I'm listening to it, the more I love it. Nevertheless, I wonder why some of Maiden fans think that it has some BNW elements on it ? OK, it contains some galloping drums and some melodies that could fit on the "reunion" album, but that's it. The riffs are more "El Dorado" oriented and the 80's sounding synths are something never heard before in Maiden's repertoire. For me it's something exotic and fresh, even if the mix on the vocals and Janick's solo are a bit weird. "Stratego" lacks of power and dynamic, but it's a very great song, though.

Last edited:
I've listened to this song several times since it has been released on Spotify and I've nothing to say except that more I'm listening to it, the more I love it. Nevertheless, I wonder why some of Maiden fans think that it has some BNW elements on it ? OK, it contains some galloping drums and some melodies that could fit on the "reunion" album, but that's it. The riffs are more "El Dorado" oriented and the 80's sounding synths are something never heard before in Maiden's repertoire. For me it's something exotic and fresh, even the mix on the vocals and Janick's solo are a bit weird. "Stratego" lacks of power and dynamic, but it's a very great song, though.
Hard to say, for me something in vocal line sounds like straight from BNW.

But the song generally has its own thing going on imo.
Definitely - the verses, the pre-chorus, the keyboards, the double vocals... the whole song (especially the chorus).

If I have to say which part reminds me of what:

the melody in the intro & after the solo - ''Powerslave'' song vibe.
the galloping riff - ''El Dorado'' vibe.
Janick's solo - BNW/DOD vibe (like the whole song imo).
Janick's lead melody in the verses has a BNW/DOD vibe too.
the chorus easily could fit in the BNW album.
the pre-chorus delivery reminds a little bit of ''Ghost Of The Navigator''.
the galloping rhythm in the chorus reminds me of ''Out Of The Silent Plant'' chorus.
The outro reminds of the outro of ''Death Or Glory''.

I saw that Anthony Fantano (aka The Needle Drop) really hated “Stratego.” Called it one of the band’s absolute worst songs. He’s usually a fan of their rockers, so I thought he might dig it.
I like Fantano’s content, but I tend to ignore his opinions on Metal and hard rock stuff. I disagree with him on pretty much everything related to Maiden and similar bands. He listens to a lot of music, but is clearly better versed in other genres.

Stratego has more things going on for it than I anticipated...and surely much more that is audible in the mix. It is different while sounding like Maiden. No matter if one likes it or not...it pushes the envelope(IMO).

Stratego is great and it also adds to the meaning of Senjutsu.

@Kalata Speaking of which, The Way of the Samurai is a cult movie by Jim Jarmusch with Forest Whitaker as modern Samurai. Highly recommended.

Who?

Well, I do not really see Stratego as a rocker TBH. It is more or less a mid tempo song. I mean the Alchemist, BQOBD can be viewed as rockers,right?

I noticed that since BNW, every subsequent release has people trying to link any new songs with something from the previous material; I can't see this Powerslave/BNW connections (aside from the eastern scale and production value regarding BNW).

It is modern Maiden, it's nowadays Maiden (as it's always been, in each moment, through the years) and this song has an unique vibe: those synths could've been lower, but, they add amazing atmosphere to the song, the solo would shine more if the harmony were not only on that 'vamp' key. Apart from that, the song was echoing in my mind just after the first listening, same with TWOTW, which is another new Maiden vibe, but, you listen to both and, instantly, you know it's Maiden.

It is modern Maiden, it's nowadays Maiden (as it's always been, in each moment, through the years)
That’s a great statement…nowadays Maiden.
the solo would shine more if the harmony were not only on that 'vamp' key.
What do you mean by vamp key?

Im really loving the solo now by the way. Janick articulates every note clearly and it’s jam packed with licks. I count 9. Nice tone. The whole song has a bit of darkness to it and the solo adds to that emotion. Kind of cuts it’s way along the galloping rhythm in Janick’s unique jagged way and I love how Nicko goes heavy on the symbols during the second bar of the solo.

Last edited:
I haven't been able to find him saying this anywhere, either on Twitter or Youtube.

Back