New single: Stratego

IMO there was nothing wrong with what Martin did, with his clear and timeless productions.
Have you ever listened to the intro to Hallowed By Thy Name on the studio version?

Stratego sounds just fine to me. The guitars are clear the drums sound fantastic. It sounds much clearer to me than The Writing on the Wall.
I don't know what people are complaining about.

On this board there are people that cut and paste their own arrangements, and people that disregard Maiden songs forever, as in they don't ever listen to them.
Shock horror! Gasp, oh, I'm going to faint.. Sob, still fainting, oh, oh my,,, where's a nice soft couch for me to dramatically fall down into?

LOL

When it was the last time we've heard such a mighty gallop from the start to the finish of a song? Only the Good Die Young maybe?
In ''The Talisman''? Of course not for the whole song because of the acoustic intro... I think you're right about OTGDY.

i loved Stratego, the only thing i dont like its the name of the song? Stratego? i would call it art of war or something more dramatic. But one of the best songs since reunion.
I think one of the meanings of ''senjutsu'' (aka the title track) is The Art Of War - Bruce said in one interview that they'll go with this meaning. So it was not available.

I agree that ''Stratego'' is one of the best songs since the reunion. Surprisingly, I like the title.

I have a dumb question on the pronunciation. Is it strate "go" or "joe". I saw YT videos pronouncing it both ways

I hate having guitar leads double the vocal melody underneath, it just sounds trite
I knew someone was going to object to this sooner or later. I find it naff in most music, I don't mind it too much where Maiden have done it (Montsegur, R&TB)

Have you ever listened to the intro to Hallowed By Thy Name on the studio version?

Stratego sounds just fine to me. The guitars are clear the drums sound fantastic. It sounds much clearer to me than The Writing on the Wall.
I don't know what people are complaining about.
Maybe it all comes down to the equipment we use. The dip in sound quality and clarity is very apparent in my case. On the other hand I really like both of the new singles as compositions/ideas/arrangements.

Last edited:
Maybe it all comes down to the equipment we use. the dip in sound quality and clarity is very apparent in my case. On the other hand I really both of the new singles as compositions/ideas/arrangements.
I am listening to music on rather common tech like the following:
https://en-de.sennheiser.com/around-ear-headphones-stereo-mic-hd-471 My headphone, which sounds great, lots of mid-range, but nice subtle bass sound as well.

I use it directly with my notebook or with: https://www.logitech.com/en-us/products/speakers/z333-speaker-system-subwoofer.980-001203.html

Listening via the direct headphone jack output in the volume controller is really nice. I was blasting Stratego this way, and it did sound really great! Punchy and clear.

That's it, not a complicated or expensive stuff, still sounds great.

Now, of course, the differences in the mixes can be heard too :) BOS does not sound that good to me on this very same equipment, clear difference in favor of Stratego/TWOTW.

I am listening to music on rather common tech like the following:
https://en-de.sennheiser.com/around-ear-headphones-stereo-mic-hd-471 My headphone, which sounds great, lots of mid-range, but nice subtle bass sound as well.

I use it directly with my notebook or with: https://www.logitech.com/en-us/products/speakers/z333-speaker-system-subwoofer.980-001203.html

Listening via the direct headphone jack output in the volume controller is really nice. I was blasting Stratego this way, and it did sound really great! Punchy and clear.

That's it, not a complicated or expensive stuff, still sounds great.

Now, of course, the differences in the mixes can be heard too :) BOS does not sound that good to me on this very same equipment, clear difference in favor of Stratego/TWOTW.

Surely TWOTW sounds better than BOS, but as stated lots of times here, there is a noticeable difference between the two new singles.

I mean TWOTW I was able to figure on guitar on my own. Stratego is just bass/drums/vocals the way I hear it!

Guitar lesson Stratego on youtube

Curious to know how many of you can hear the riff H is playing over Dave's gallop in E (6.53 on the video)? I had to customize my EQ on my headphones to fully hear it.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210823-002125_Headphones.jpg
    Screenshot_20210823-002125_Headphones.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 17
Back