New single: Stratego

First impressions:

I enjoy the production a lot, Bruce could be a bit louder, but in general it feels much clearer and cleaner than TBOS.

Bruce sings the verse and parts of the chorus in his mid range, which sounds fantastic. We know that he can reach high notes, but often it doesn't sound as good anymore and it feels like some lines are simply written to show that he can reach the notes. That's not what is happening here and I'm glad.

The chorus finally has some vocal harmonies! I'm an absolute sucker for that and I'm incredibly happy.

Looking forward to reading the lyrics once we have them.

Someone mentioned the solo sounding like it's ripped out of The Nomad and I can certainly hear the similarities lol

All in all (it's far too early obviously but) I enjoy both singles a lot, Stratego much more than TWOTW and if the rest of the album is of a similar quality it's going to be really special.

My takeaways from my first listen: Strange verse, that melody doesn't work being matched by the guitar. Absolutely fantastic bridge and chorus. Killer solo. Could work well as a concert opener.

Love it but I can imagine it being controversial.

Vocals feel a little buried underneath the (admittedly great) music. I love the keyboards in the chorus but someone's definitely going to tell me it "isn't metal!".

Reactions: jcv
It's a good song with some AMLOAD vibes.

Again I really don't like Janick playing lead under most of the vocals.

Love the instrumental breakdown.

This is a great song. Really varied. Doesn't feel like Maiden-by-numbers at all. Goes to quite a few different places.
However, the vocal mixing is bizarre. Bruce is really low in the mix. I haven't a clue what he's saying at the bridge or chorus! Quite disappointing, mars an otherwise very strong song.
The solo is great. The ending gives me Moonchild vibes, which is always good.
Overall, very strong song. The fact that they didn't put this out as the first single and did WotW instead bodes very well for the rest of the album imo.

How do you read a madman’s mind
Teach me the art of war
For I shall bring more
Than you bargained for

Give me an ultimatum
That I could not dream of
Spills of a crying nation
Upon my soul

For I have not a mortal soul
That you already know
Look at my eyes
There’s no surprise

Ocean is black the devil’s track
Looking beyond beneath the sea
Eye of the storm is here again
Been there before you were ever born

Beyond the dark I feel the pain
It’s hidden but I can’t explain
A cross to bear
A heavy faith
My sorrow whispers
Time again

I hear you calling my name
Come to claim my life again
Pray for me I’m almost there
The pain almost too much to bear

I try to find my way back home
To feel the same again
The voice of nothing
Listened far too long

Little by little eat away
I think I’ve lost my mind
Too late to change now
What I left behind

Hear me listen my call
I am ready to fall
Lord hear me now – let me go

A cross to bear
A heavy faith
My sorrow whispers
Time again

I tried to play it on my TV and it suck. But now im playing it on my phone and its great. I like this song very much. It will grow on me for sure but it Has strong AMOLAD Vibe.

To quote myself:

Hear me listen my call
I am ready to fall
Lord hear me now – let me go

--

A cross to bear
A heavy faith
My sorrow whispers
Time again

Very Steve!

Sounds good. I was surprised that the verses didn't start with higher vocals, but that's just neat, makes the transitions more interesting and dynamic. Needs some more listens, but yess, it sounds very, very good and I'd believe it to be a great live number! I can already see and hear myself going OCEAN IS BLACK THE DEVIL'S TRACK in the crowd with fist in the air. :D

We'll see how this one grows, but I'd say it already sounds above average "modern Maiden rocker." Not quite Rainmaker, but it has more edge than the likes of The Alchemist and so. Strong one!

A really great haunting vibe to the song, especially with those high synths hiding underneath the chorus. What a fantastic melody and drive to the song. The detour into the breakdown after Janick's solo rather than going directly back into the chorus was a great turn to re-build the tension... and what a great rhythm to the breakdown at that.

The production's great (THAT KICK!!), just wish Bruce's vocals were a bit higher in the mix. Sounds like a perfect mix between AMOLAD and TFF to me. Both this and The Writing on the Wall really had an epic and feel to the both of them and this really has me hyped up for the longer songs on the album, particularly the closing three.

That chorus! THAT CHORUS! If this chorus makes me beam like this, then I can't even begin to imagine

how the chorus to The Time Machine will sound like, since it's more or less constantly been praised as the best of the album!

Last edited:
Definitely a grower, like TWOTW was, especially the vocal line so relaxed, which soubds different to our ears. I am a fan of the guitar melody with the vocals, but since the vocals are so low in range, it sounds a bit too overpowering to me. But its a great song and it will soubd amazing in live shows

Stratego could really fit into the Brave New World album. Somehow it reminds me of The Mercenary.

This is way better than The Writing On The Wall. The guitar solo is awesome.

I could even imagine Blaze Bayley singing it...

I dunno what album this is meant to sound like. If I just heard the chorus I'd be forced to guess SSOASS, but even then they didn't have keyboards quite like this.

Gorgeous song.

Back