New single: Stratego

Another good song. At first reminded me more FOTD songs and Bruce solo. Great mighty and sinister intro and I liked the lead guitar following the vocal lines, it's a little bit different than TRATB, which I don't enjoy the use of it. The chorus are superb, especially when the voice doubles. In the other hand, I didn't like the synths, for me sounds like a fucking whistle and the guitar solo is weak and unimaginative. In my opinion it will sounds better live. A good song number 2 on a tracklist for the band to warm up and just before Bruce speaks with the crowd. 8.5/10

P.S.: Bruce singing not so high is way better. Remarkable cuisine by Harris/McBrain.

Last edited:
Adrian gave us The Wickerman, Davey gave us Rainmaker, and now Janick has given us Stratego…reunion era classic rocker.
Maybe I'm suffering from some incredible recency bias, but this might be the best of the three. That chorus just doesn't go away (not that I've given it chance to, I've had the song on repeat for hours).

Maybe I'm suffering from some incredible recency bias, but this might be the best of the three. That chorus just doesn't go away (not that I've given it chance to, I've had the song on repeat for hours).

I’m with you there mate, this song is colossal!

So glad they released it as a single, gives the song a week or so to enjoy the limelight before rejoining its place within the album. And gives Janick a chance to bask in the glory too!!

I’m with you there mate, this song is colossal!

So glad they released it as a single, gives the song a week or so to enjoy the limelight before rejoining its place within the album. And gives Janick a chance to bask in the glory too!!
Rainmaker and Stratego take the cake for me. Wicker Man doesn't hit the same for me these days but that could be because I've listened to it so much.

Maybe I’m lovestruck but this tops them both. It’s just so melodic and galloping.
I mean, after the verse it has two pre-choruses then the chorus and then just when you thought the song could become no more melodic they hit us with the monstrous post-chorus:

I hear you calling my name
Come to claim my life again
Pray for me I’m almost there
The pain almost too much to bear

Brilliant lyrics too (by Steve?).

Wicker man still my favorite because that riff is just super fun to play as a guitarist and also the solo from adrian is next level on that track.
Stratego is definitely up there and has to be one of the best choruses on any maiden track

I’ve listened to “Stratego” at least four times now and I think it’s a very good rocker. The mix is very confusing given the higher quality of TWOTW, particularly in the vocal department, but the song itself slaps. Trademark Maiden gallop, but also sees the band trying new things. The synths are incredibly high in the mix for just about the first time ever. I dig it. I’ve been wondering if Steve is going to let his Nightwish influence shine through at some point and this is at least somewhat in that direction and I’ll take it. The lyrics are absolutely fantastic. Very mystical, I assume it’s from the perspective of a soldier? The solo is typical Janick. Love the darker melodies here and there. Unlike Knick I love the guitar doubling the vocal melody on TRATB; here though because the vocals are lower in the mix it doesn’t work so well. But overall I’m not complaining, it’s a strong song. Time will tell if it holds up as well as TWOTW has for me. The fact that people like GK1 and Magnus who aren’t exactly fans of 21st century Maiden are digging these first two tracks bodes well for the rest of the album I think. It’s exciting for sure.

Finally - I got to listen to it, as probably the last person around!

This is the Maiden I love. This is not a jolly hard rock track that TBoS was full of. This is a proper Maiden hit that echoes Brave New World as much as Seventh Son while managing to sound fresh at the same time. It's punchy, it's dramatic and it soars with melodies - I felt like home listening to it, I really did. That's the shortest I can sum up my feelings.

Great intro (which works amazingly well when it kicks back in as the outro), fantastic lower vocal line during verses, great choice on their part. I dig the lead guitar under vocals - especially since Janick's lead tone is killer. Superb melodies throughout and that piercing synth is freaking cool. 1:55 - chills all over, best part of the song. I hear you calling my name - This line freaking melted me on the spot.

My only nitpicks: the instrumental part after the solo sounds quite empty, it could use one guitar filling the space with chords or whatever. Also the drums seem a bit loose, especially during the intro - maybe that's production, maybe performance, not sure. And I think it would probably sound even better played a bit faster. But these are minor issues.

Fantastic track, very effective single. I'm beyond hyped. If there are better moments than these two singles on the album (and that's likely), I will be obliterated on the 3rd.

Seen a lot of non-diehards complaining about the quality of the mix and I can't help but feel they have a point. It's especially odd considering how good TWOW sounds
Listening to them on Spotify one after the other. It is really strange how much fuller and better balanced TWOTW sounds. The playing style is much different but i don't think it has to do with that. Anyhow!

Hell... I love the guitar playing vocal line. But i'm curious - do we know for 100% that vocal line was first?

Back