New single: Stratego

Why some people say that Stratego is not mastered? (Saw it on YT) I hope that on the album all songs will sound produced on the same level.

Last edited:
It pisses me off, how different this song sounds on different sources. For example, now listening on Spotify: guitars not so sharp, like on YT version, and Bruce is little bit too low in the mix. Kevin an Steve should tell us parameters of headphones through which the new album sounds best :D

Last edited:
It pisses me of, how different this song sounds on different sources. For example, now listening on Spotify: guitars not so sharp, like on YT version and Bruce little bit too low. Kevin an Steve should tell us parameters of headphones through which the new album sounds best :D
+1

It pisses me off, how different this song sounds on different sources. For example, now listening on Spotify: guitars not so sharp, like on YT version, and Bruce is little bit too low in the mix. Kevin an Steve should tell us parameters of headphones through which the new album sounds best :D
It could just be an upload issue. YT heavily compresses audio content whereas it should be more lossy on Spotify. However, on Spotify it's clear that it's not been mastered on the same level as TWOTW so either they've uploaded it from another source or it's not mastered. We'll know for sure when the full album drops. Hopefully the CD/Vinyl versions will be without issue.

Does anyone reckon Nicko is using double kick pedals on this?
I did wonder this. Its quite slow for a gallop and there's some inconsistencies in the kick timing that might suggest he's using a double pedal that he's not quite used to. Pure speculation though.

I don't know what format it sounds best on but probably not lossy format on streaming platforms, cheap soundcards, shit phones, five quid speakers/headphones etc.

Kevin Shirley had stated that it was the hardest album he had done. What if each track are mixed in their own different ways?
I wouldn't like such an approach to producing an album. However, I hope that when we'll listen to the disc in its entirety we will find a certain homogeneity of sound between the tracks, and that the subtle differences between the two songs we have already listened to are mainly due to the audio limitations of the streaming platforms, as some suggested. I like them, maybe a little more TWOTW than Stratego (which I find, I don't know how to say, more "experimental"). Bruce and Nicko are great on Stratego. I'm more impressed from Adrian's solo on TWOTW than Janick's on this one, although the latter fits a lot in the context of the song. Can't wait to hear more, two weeks to go :)

I love how sinister is the riff but at same time vocals are calm. And hell - i love this part:

Ocean Is Black The Devil's Track
Looking Beyond Beneath The Sea
Eye Of The Storm Is Here Again
Been There Before You Were Ever Born

Senjutsu will be amazing album.

I think I like this song, if only I could hear it. I don't recall ever complaining about production in the past, but this mix is making me miss Will Malone.

I know it was recorded Covid, but it sounds like Bruce is wearing two masks. Listened on headphones and in my car and got the same result. Maybe it's Apple Music's fault?

I have listened to the song with headphones today and do not have any issues with the production, annoying keyboards aside (thankfully they are quite low).

The Apple Music version may offer a more accurate representation of the sound quality. Vocals are more prominent. Sounds strong from where I'm sitting. And yes, on repeated listens it gets better and better. Up the irons.

I can't see the lesson for some reason. However I think H is playing a descenting riff on the left side. The mix is not good and this is not very prominant. Do you also hear it or am I hearing things?

Back