New album: The Final Frontier!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Having looked long and hard at the new Eddie for about 12 hours I believe the new album cover will go one of two ways:

- The Final Frontier is a sci-fi concept and Eddie's face is either an asteroid firing through space or it is a planet at the furtherst realms of the galaxy.
- The Final Frontier is inside Eddie's Head, the final frontier being the insanity at the core of Eddie.  The lightning and neurons hint at this.

Nostradamus I am not, so please discount these two longshot guesses.  But I do like the album name and the sci-fi concept, and the Compass Point recording venue.

Epic A Matter of Life a Death proglike tracks with a Somewhere in Time/Seventh Son of a Seventh Son guitar synth sound....b.r.i.n.g. i.t. o.n.!!

One of the best scenes ever;

Prick us do we not bleed
Tickle us do we not laugh
Poison us do we not die
And if you wrong us, shall we not revenge?

...photon torpedo hitting Enterprise

If all the metal bands of the 70's are still making albums then Maiden aren't finished yet. I suspect they will carry on until they either fall out, serious illness or one dies. It isnt the last album.

If this album would be their last, something imminent must have happened.

It would really be contradictionary to all those motivated interviews (“look at all those new and young people who come to our concerts, it will probably make us continue, we're not going to stop yet”) various bandmembers have given since 2009.

So I may seem harsh but if this really is going to be the final one (and nothing terribly sudden has happened to change their point of view since 2009), then Iron Maiden have given lots of fans false hopes, and they will drop some credibility in my eyes.

Just to share my opinion, not that I have some useful information...

I also suspect this being the last IM studio album. Yes, it's the title that makes me think so. I remember having the exact same feelings when Alice Cooper released The Last Temptation in 1994. Great album, totally f'kin' reccomend  :p

If this version of Eddie is the cover sleeve for the future album, it sucks. I remember having the exact same feelings when I first saw the cover for Dance Of Death. That album is now one of my favorite by IM, probably the best after Bruce and H's return.

Altostratus said:
That album is now one of my favorite by IM, probably the best after Bruce and H's return.

You mean the music or the album cover art? If you talk about the cover art, I strongly disagree, since I think it sucks - and that the cover art on Brave New World is superb.

When I first saw the artwork for the new Eddie I immediately thought of the alien from "Predator" when it takes it's helmet off to fight Arnie. Ties in with a sci-fi theme I suppose.

I sincerely hope it isnt the last album but the guys arent getting any younger and if they plan another year long tour for the new album followed by another history DVD/tour some of them could be pushing 60 by the time they could sit down and write another album.

Just hoping Sonisphere isnt the only UK gig they do for the album. They've announced its the only 2010 UK show but I hope they return in 2011 with a few more shows in blighty. It is where they come from for god's sake!

I have no doubts that they will continue touring in the future, even after the final album :)

They'll release ''Somewhere Back in the Early Days'' or something and tour again.

I'd hate to read too much into the title of an album or subsequent tour. I mean...look how many times Ozzy had a "farewell" tour. (I think I attended a "farewell" concert in the early 90's.)

But that all being said, I'm treating every tour from here on out with IM like it might be their last one and plan to see them in Chicago and in California.

As far as the new image of Eddie, I guess I was hoping for something a bit more classic. Something that screams hand-drawn, artistic creativity and less how gross of an image can I make.

Now don't get me wrong; I understand that this image could simply be a tease, and we'll see something completely out of left-field for the actual album cover and associated tour images (since the concert t-shirts always seem to capture great images...along with a ton of my $$$).

Either way...new album + upcoming tour =  :yey:

Reumeren said:
I have no doubts that they will continue touring in the future, even after the final album :)

They'll release ''Somewhere Back in the Early Days'' or something and tour again.

They've got plenty of songs to cover, even if they should start changing their setlist during tours  :D If this album becomes their last, and contains 10 songs, they'll have 144 album songs to choose from. Enough to keep'em touring until they're 70  :D

DonnieDarko said:
I'd hate to read too much into the title of an album or subsequent tour. I mean...look how many times Ozzy had a "farewell" tour. (I think I attended a "farewell" concert in the early 90's.)

Not to mention Kiss  :p

Eddies Wingman said:
You mean the music or the album cover art? If you talk about the cover art, I strongly disagree, since I think it sucks - and that the cover art on Brave New World is superb.
Of course, as I mentioned, the cover art just sucks. Eddie himself is OK, but the unfinished poser stuff makes DoD the worst IM cover in history, to my opinion. However musically, for me DoD is far better than BNW, even though the latter is often celebrated as the "reunion album".

Habberdasher said:
I call shenanigans. Seriously, "Murky Space Race"? WTF?

That was quick. The tracklisting has been pulled down on Wikipedia.

For those of you who missed it, the following track list was (briefly) posted on Wikipedia:
1) Beyond the Eyes Can See (4:17)
2) Where No Man Has Gone Before (5:52)
3) Higher and Faster (7:34)
4) The Antagonist (6:07)
5) Longing For Heaven (6:58)
6) Murky Space Race (7:36)
7) Catastrophe of a Thousand Light Years (8:29)
8) The Final Frontier (14:09)

Forostar said:
If this album would be their last, something imminent must have happened.

It would really be contradictionary to all those motivated interviews (“look at all those new and young people who come to our concerts, it will probably make us continue, we're not going to stop yet”) various bandmembers have given since 2009.

So I may seem harsh but if this really is going to be the final one (and nothing terribly sudden has happened to change their point of view since 2009), then Iron Maiden have given lots of fans false hopes, and they will drop some credibility in my eyes.

The band members are allowed to change their minds about the length of their career.  Let's not hold them up to some rationalist absolute.  As some have commented before AMOLAD's release, any album after this is a bonus.  I see it as such and relish the amazing feeling of a first listen.
Mega said:
You know, without the silly speed metal names, it's actually pretty good.

Names seem so contrived, but whatever, it is in the music.  Plus, there's no guarantee those are the track names.

The Mid-Distance Runner said:
- The Final Frontier is a sci-fi concept
- The Final Frontier is inside Eddie's Head, the final frontier being the insanity at the core of Eddie. 

Here's my purely speculative, worth-the-price-you-paid-for-it prediction: 

"The Final Frontier" actually means death, and it is a concept album about mortality, the afterlife, etc. 

Discuss.

That's it, cornfed.  The bad part of that is -- it'll have too much in common with AMOLAD.  We (read: I) need to be impressed by the band re-inventing themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back