Mysteries & the Supernatural

Feel a bit awkward posting this here, but today, for the first time, I've had an experience for which I couldn't find a fully satisfactory rational explanation.

Some of you know that I occasionally work as a tour guide in a major museum (this one). I had a public tour today and while going through one of the biggest rooms, I spotted my brother. I'd estimate he was about ten metres away give or take. I was surprised to see him, because I'd have expected him to tell me that he would be going there, since I could give him free access (otherwise admission is quite high), and he's not really a regular museum goer. I was in the midst of my tour though, so I couldn't just walk up to him. He was walking past an exhibit looking at it and didn't see me; however, I was sure he'd notice me because I was talking loud and clear and had a large group of people around me. Plus he knows I work there, so I'd guess he'd at least look if that's me there.
Anyway, a bit later I saw him again, he was walking up the stairs to another section of the museum where I was set to go with my group some ten minutes or so later. There is only this one access to that section, and it would have been almost impossible not to encounter him upstairs. I kept a lookout for him when I was up with my group and thought it'd be easy to find him. He was wearing a bright red shirt that I would have spotted immediately. However, in the twenty or so minutes I was up, I didn't see him anywhere. It wouldn't have been impossible for him to leave without me noticing, but highly unlikely.
When my tour was over, I went through the entire museum to see if I could find him anywhere, but he was nowhere to be seen. I went outside and texted him, and he replied right away telling me he was home. He lives far out the city and if everything goes smoothly, it would have taken him at least an hour to get from the location of the museum to his place. I called him to see if he was playing a prank on me, but he was home. There was no background noise, and it would have been absolutely impossible for him to get to such a quiet location from the moment I saw him until when I called him. I know this area of the city like the back of my hand.
Now, the most reasonable explanation would be that I saw someone whom I mistook for my brother. However, I was absolutely certain it was him. He has quite a distinct walk and posture. I actually thought to myself when I saw him how typical his way of going through the hallway was. He had a shirt on that I know very well, a bright red lumberjack shirt that is so dreadfully out of fashion that even hipsters stopped wearing it ironically around five years ago. What's more is that I looked specifically for that shirt all over the museum and didn't see it anywhere, there was only one guy with a red sweater I saw and it was nothing like it.
I called my partner, who always has very good explanations for this sort of thing, and she suggested that I saw a person who reminded me of my brother so much that my mind added further information that it would have expected to see. I guess that's possible, but if this is so, it is nevertheless a very freaky experience. I'm a bit reluctant with this explanation though, because I saw him twice, and actually looked closer the second time, even though we were still quite far apart. The hallway and staircase are of monumental dimensions in this part of the building. However, the view was clear and I could look directly at him. And moreover, I just can't fathom the odds of someone looking so much like my brother and wearing the same ugly shirt, and then just disappear in a place I know so well.

There's a theory that some places "replay" events in time (I'm sure there's a proper term for it), which is why people who see ghosts often report them doing the same thing. Most Haunted (ghost hunting programme that was/is popular over here) had an episode a while back where the cameras caught a figure that looked exactly like one of their crew members walking up a flight of stairs, only for the man in question to appear behind where "he" just was. If your brother has visited this museum before, could be that you saw a "replay" of him.

I think I just found my second home after the Dream Killing Game lol.

At any rate A LOT of weird stuff happens to me all the time. So much so that I don't even think it is weird until I tell people about it and see their reactions. Some minor amusing stuff like, a toddler following my then girlfriend and I for about 6 blocks. We were walking to the store and we passed one of the houses in the neighborhood where a party was taking place. Due to the small size of the houses in the neighborhood it is fairly common for people to hold the events in their driveways. We walk by and there was a couple with a boy about 3-4 years old. The boy took one look at us, his face lit-up and started laughing and running after us. He ran right up to me, hugged my leg and before I could hold him so his father could get him he takes off running past us. Then he runs back and hugs my GF's leg, rinse and repeat for about 6 blocks. It went from amusing to right down odd real quick. Also, he completely ignored his father who was walking next to us, calling out to him to come to him. Finally, after said 6 blocks the father got fed-up, ran after the kid, scooped him up and started walking back. The kid just looked back us and with an outstretched hand just started wailing as though he was just denied ice cream.

Things like that to what most people would right off as coincidences, but the timing and HOW OFTEN they happen to me.... I just doubt it is a mere coincidence. Like, back in college I asked a a classmate of mine out to the movies. She hesitated, clearly not knowing what to do, she didn't want to say, "no," flat out so she told me that her house was up for sale and someone had to be home to show it just in case. If her brother was home, she'd go, if he wasn't she had to go home. She called and no answer. "Sorry, I gotta go," "Sure," I say trying my best to hide my dejection. When I get to my car and turn it on, from the speakers out comes, "Have you heard about the lonesome loser? He gets beaten by the Queen of Hearts every time. Have you heard about the lonesome loser? He's a loser, but he keeps on trying." I just turned to the radio and said, "Really dude? You gotta rub it in like that?" Reminded me of when I was 15 or so and watching MTV with my brother and a friend. Before the video we were watching was over I felt compelled to start singing. The lyrics were something like, "A friend in need's, a friend indeed, but a friend in need is better." Or something like that. The very next video was exactly that. They both just stared at me like, WTF. That kinda thing is on the daily, multiple times a day. I'll move on to the creepy stuff when I get the chance, hehe.

The lyrics were something like, "A friend in need's, a friend indeed, but a friend in need is better." Or something like that.

Sounds like Placebo's "Pure Morning". Great song from a great band, though I think you'll find the real lyrics are...

"A friend in need's a friend indeed, A friend with weed is better"

:lol:

Things like that to what most people would right off as coincidences, but the timing and HOW OFTEN they happen to me.... I just doubt it is a mere coincidence. Like, back in college I asked a a classmate of mine out to the movies. She hesitated, clearly not knowing what to do, she didn't want to say, "no," flat out so she told me that her house was up for sale and someone had to be home to show it just in case. If her brother was home, she'd go, if he wasn't she had to go home. She called and no answer. "Sorry, I gotta go," "Sure," I say trying my best to hide my dejection. When I get to my car and turn it on, from the speakers out comes, "Have you heard about the lonesome loser? He gets beaten by the Queen of Hearts every time. Have you heard about the lonesome loser? He's a loser, but he keeps on trying." I just turned to the radio and said, "Really dude? You gotta rub it in like that?"

That sucks, but considering how many songs are made about being rejected, it's not that improbable, I think :p.

Sounds like Placebo's "Pure Morning". Great song from a great band, though I think you'll find the real lyrics are...

"A friend in need's a friend indeed, A friend with weed is better"

:lol:

Yes that's it! lol

That sucks, but considering how many songs are made about being rejected, it's not that improbable, I think :p.

True, yet I should note I haven't heard that song since.

My childhood home in Mexico City always had unexplained noises. Always. As far back as I can remember. My parents bought the land and had it built from scratch, so someone one dying in the house, or any other classic ghost haunting explanation never fit the bill. Nights were the worst. The house embodied a creepy atmosphere beyond a child's fear of the dark. My older brother and even my parents now confess always feeling uneasy even if they tried not to show it all those years ago.

Our house was originally 2 stories and my parents expanded it to three when I was 11-12 years old. The ground floor was a multipurpose room. It had a small living room on one side which included our stand-up piano, a coffee table, a couple of couches a bar and fridge. the other half had custom dressers with huge drawers filled with our toys, a couch and the TV. next to the piano was a doorway with old-fashion saloon doors as the partitians. Beyond those doors was a bathroom, a room filled with junk and the maid's quarters. At night that room became very eerie. You always felt watched and I remember the light switch was at one end and the stairs to the second floor were at the other. I would turn off the lights and RUN to the stairs. When I would play the piano late at night, after about an hour or so I felt a looming prescence behind me, I wouldn't stop playing outright. I merely played faster, finished the piece and then run out of the room.

So for years it was just that, an eerie atmosphere. One night, I must have been 6 years old I woke up in the middle of the night. For some reason I was very frightened and decided to go to my parents bedroom. After a while I heard one of the drawers in the kitchen open and slam shut repeatedly. I shook my dad and told him, "Dad! Dad! there is someone in the kitchen!" He turned around and said, "It's nothing go back to bed. I trusted my dad so much that was enough to calm me down and go to bed. The next morning, as the sun was rising, once again I tried waking my dad up with little success. My mother told me, "leave him alone he is very tired." "Why?" I asked. "The washing machine turned on on its own and he had to deal with it." Turns out he couldn't stop it. It was shaking so badly it "walked." It finally turned off when it unplugged itself. My brother had a friend sleep over that weekend and they both said they too heard the racket in the kitchen and lauded my "bravery" for actually leaving my room.

My father always came home late due to his job. One night he walked into the bedroom to find my brother and I sleeping next to our mom. Not wanting to disturb us he went to the guest bedroom and started reading. He was facing the door, but the book obstructed his view. Not long after he began reading he heard faint footsteps coming up the three steps that led to the guest bedroom, the one I shared with my brother across from it and our bathroom. The door opened slowly and then closed. He thought it might be my brother or me wanting to scare him. He felt the prescence get close and when it was right in front of him he lowered his book and exclaimed, "Boo!" There was no one there. The room became freezing cold and he left it quickly and went to the master bedroom not caring about disturbing us anymore.

Remember the saloon doors? Well, when they swung open you could hear them all over the house signaling anyone's coming and going through that part of the house. My mom would complain to my dad that the maid would be "up all night" and pointing to hearing the doors swing as proof of her assertion. One day we were all watching TV in the master bedroom and we heard the doors swing open. We all looked at each other thinking the same thing. It was the maid's day off and we were all in the same room... who opened them? My dad checked the whole house and found no one.

We began joking about "Casper" living in our house. After all most of the noises, the saloon doors, footsteps, the ocassional drawer or turning on and off of lights was harmless. The vibe was NEVER friendly, it was uneasy at best and later became flat out hostile, and it only got worse.

When I was about 11 my parents decided to expand the house and added a third story to the existing structure. It would be their master bedroom, my brother and my bathroom and our bedrooms. What used to be my bedroom became the TV room, my brother's became the library and our parent's became my grandmother's who moved in with us. She was 92 or so at the time. She was senile and lived in the past. However, every day she sat in the rocking chair in the living room and prayed for about an hour. The two or so years she lived with us, the noises stopped. When she left, and my parents seperated they came back in full force. We could hear the saloon doors open with force. The footsteps were heard starting in the spiral staircase and slowly sliding, as though tired, down the hall, climb the stairs and stop in our new bathroom. Then make it's way down. One could track it's entire route based on the sounds. If I was in the TV room I would hear the doors, then the spiral staircase, then coming down the hall, up the stairs and back down. On its 5th consecutive trip or so it would stop right outside the door and I could feel a prescence enter the room. I'd turn to see no one, but felt whatever it was there. I was told by many people to not show it fear, so I would jokingly invite it to sit next to me and watch some TV. I did that for a week. Finally one day I said, "Hey, how goes it? Just watching some TV, why don't you come join me?" I felt the thing move toward me and saw the couch cushion next to mine sink as it sat down. I shot up, left the remote on the couch and said, "here, watch whatever you want, I'm off to bed."

My brother suffers from insomia. He would routinely go down to the living room and fall asleep on the couch. One day he woke up, because he felt pressure on his chest. He could make out a shadow standing over him, but nothing clear. He said, "Get the fuck off of me!" just like that the pressure lifted and the shadow stepped back. He got up, turned and told it, "I'm going back to my room, you follow me and I'll fuck you up." It never bothered him again.

I wasn't so lucky, but I'll put those in another post as this one is long enough. To be continued...

Ok, so here we go. I'll start by sharing an amussing anectdote regarding "Casper." A new family moved in across the street and my mom immediately connected with them as they were from her home state of Chihuahua and they too had two children, a daughter my brother's age and a son that was my age. We all became good friends and one day I confided in him that my house was haunted. He laughed in my face telling me there was no such thing as ghosts. I didn't press the matter. One day, we were looking at naughty websites on my computer in my room when there was a knock on the door. A very clear, solid, "toc, toc, toc." Obviously we panicked and as he closed the browser window I went to open the door. I opened the door to find no one on the other side. I told my friend, "Dude, there's no one at the door," and let out a laugh. I found it amussing as we had become acustomed to said "pranks," by our supernatural squatter. My friend FLIPED. OUT. "Oh man, oh man, let's get the the hell out of here!" "Relax, man, it was probably my brother," I lied to him to calm him down. I went over to my brother's room and he wasn't there. My friend became even more upset. Again I told him to relaxed and offered the even less likely explanation that it might have been my mom. I went over to the master bedroom, knocked on the door and openned it to find my mom talking on the phone. "Yes, dear?" she asked as she turned towards me. "Um... nothing, sorry." I said as I closed her door and related my findings to my friend. All he said was, "I'm leaving," so we went over to his house for the rest of the day.

Another not so freaky situation was when I was upstairs in my bedroom and out of nowhere my mom starting yelling my name, VERY upset. I step outside into the hallway and just yell back, "Yeah? What's up?" "Where are you!?" "Um... up here, in my room, why?" "Then who slammed the front door?" I went downstairs and we both went to the front door. Not only was it closed... it was locked.

I need to mention that the shit hit the fan with our poltergeist when my parents split. One of the shaman's my mother visited told her that children, pets and love keep bad spirits at bay. By the time my parents marriage fell apart my brother and I were teens, all our dogs had passed away and well... they didn't love each other anymore. It is also said that bad spirits feed on negative energy. My parents failed marriage and the way it affected the family definitely gave whatever was in my house plenty of fuel. I often wonder how much of it was real and how much of it was the family collectively going insane. The only answer that has made sense to me over the years is that it was 50/50.

Anyway, one day my dad invited me to Guadalajara to visit my uncle, his younger brother. We went for 3 days. The last night in the hotel I woke up around 2 in the morning and noticed the light in the bathroom was on and someone was turning the faucet on and off. All I thought was, what the hell is my dad doing at 2 in the morning turning the water on and off? That's when I noticed it, the very loud, unmistakeable snoring coming from my dad's bed. I became very frightened and simply went back to sleep. The next morning my dad told me, "What the hell were you doing at 2 in the morning playing with the water in the bathroom?" All I said was, "I thought it was you." His eyes got wide and with a nervous laugh said, "Thank god it's our last day."

He dropped me off at home late, around 1 AM, everyone was already asleep. I made my way up to my room and as I closed the door I noticed from the corner of my eye a shadow pass behind me. I froze, but tried calming myself by thinking it was just my mind playing tricks on me. I opened the door and closed it again to see it I had created the shadow. Nothing. I did it again slower, faster, nothing. I was dancing like an idiot hoping ANY movement would create what I saw when from my closet came a very distinct scratching sound. Again I nearly shat my pants and once again I told my self there must be a rational explation. Thinking it might be a mouse (no mouse would make THAT scratching noise, but whatever to calm myself down) I approached my closet. I opened two of the doors of my wall to wall closet and exclaimed, "Ah-ha!" There was nothing there and the door nearest to the bedroom door which was only propped up as it still didn't have hinges, fell over. That's when I had enough and ran to my mom's room to spend the night. The next day I propped the door back up and scolded myself for not realizing that the door probably fell due to the vibrations from the doors I openned. I opened the doors again, nothing. Again, this time more forcefully, nothing. I almost ripped the doors from THEIR hinges and the door still didn't move...

Back