Musicals

Hunlord

Trooper
So does anyone else like them? My favourites would be The Phantom of the Opera, which is just amazing, and Les Misérables Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat is also a favourite of mine from when I was a kid, and I've seen it twice, but that was years ago. I've yet to see Les Mis, which will hopefully be remedied soon, but I've seen Phantom twice with a guy called Ramin Karimloo in the title role, who just has an amazing voice. Go to 4.55 and you'll see what I mean (the part starting with "...I gave you music"). He's starring in the sequel which is coming out next year, which I'm a bit sceptical about as I'm not sure that it will live up to the first, but I'll be going to see it anyway.

The Blues Brothers is my favourite musical, followed by Chicago, Moulin Rouge, and Paint Your Wagon.

There are classic musicals such as The Phantom of the Opera (or basically anything by Andrew Lloyd Webber) that are brilliant. However, in recent years, musicals have more and more become a sort of watered-down theatre intending to cash in on successful movies. The Disney musicals are the most well-known examples of this, although I believe they at least have some sort of artistic quality to them. But there are many cases in which musicals based on films with catchy songs are made that have no more such quality to them than the films they are based on - sometimes even less-, but people go in believing it's high culture.

Yeah, I like musicals. The Lloyd/Webber ones are generally pretty good and I rank Joseph as the best of them. Last one I saw was My Fair Lady with Jonathan Pryce (Carver in Tomorrow Never Dies) - around 5 or 6 years ago (I really had no idea until this show just how small Dennis Waterman was). I think the first West End one I saw was Evita with the original London cast (i.e. David Essex, Elaine Paige, etc) - that was so friggin' long ago, I did not even know who Maiden was.

SinisterMinisterX said:
He's one person. Andrew Lloyd Webber. Not a two-person team.
Indeed. That should read Rice/Webber. :innocent:

(Sorry - I meant to quote Albie but clicked Modify by mistake - so this second edit is only to restore his original post. SMX)

Albie said:
Indeed. That should read Rice/Webber. :innocent:

That makes a lot more sense now. :bigsmile:
The only musical I've ever gotten into was Jesus Christ Superstar.

And I wouldn't call the Blues Brothers a musical, but I suppose I can see why LC would see it that way. It is kinda similar.

I'd give a +1 to that, I really enjoyed Jesus Christ Super Star when I saw it.  Cats was kinda ho hum to me.  Grease, meh.  Tho, Fiddler On The Roof and The Music Man are always pretty good. 

I'm torn on musicals. There are several I really like, classic or not, but I while I enjoy the music I find it ridiculous and moronic for people to break into song in dance in what should be everyday life, (West Side Story especially, dancing gangs, give me a break). In some it makes sense, Moulin Rouge and Blues Brothers... hell even The Sound of Music, but most... no not at all. However, I've always liked Seven Brides for 7 Brothers, fing awesome, my favorite is the barn raising sequence :)

I enjoy musicals but I'm not going to go out of my way to see one. I remember there was one Andrew Lloyd Weber musical I saw that had something to do with people on roller skates supposed to be trains that I liked when I saw it as a kid...can't for the life of me remember what its called. Phantom of the Opera has some great music, as does Cats and Evita.

My favorite musical though is The Lion King. I don't care if its Disney cashing in on one of their best movies, it is a great musical.

Some songs from Wicked are also quite catchy, but I haven't seen the musical.

It tells its story through song.  I don't think that you can be any more musical than that.

I wouldn't consider Blues Brothers a musical myself, more of a straightforward story with songs integrated at certain points, some that don't necessarily contribute to the story.

Back