Music obtaining binge

Get some Red Hot Chili Peppers. The best ones are:
Blood Sugar Sex Magik
Californication
By The Way
Stadium Arcadium

Those 4 have the classic lineup of Kiedis/Flea/Frusciante/Smith. So does Mother's Milk, but they were still finding their sound there.

The earlier albums are very rap/funk oriented. I like them, but you might not. Worth checking out, at least.

And avoid One Hot Minute. Nothing worth listening to there.

Yes! Stadium Arcadium in particular is a fantastic double album containing 30+ songs... none of them suck and most kick ass. They keep getting better with age. I look forward to whatever they put out next.... it's got to be close to that time for them.

Do you have any prog rock? Genesis, King Crimson, Yes, Van der Graaf Generator, Nektar, Ayreon... that kind of stuff?
Oh, and if you like Pink Floyd, you might enjoy Porcupine Tree. Some of their early stuff is pretty similar, like The Sky Moves Sideways. Their later stuff is more metal-oriented, but well worth a listen (try Deadwing in particular).

SinisterMinisterX said:
Get some Red Hot Chili Peppers.

Have them.

Shadow said:
Do you have any prog rock? Genesis, King Crimson, Yes, Van der Graaf Generator, Nektar, Ayreon... that kind of stuff?

Yes, yes, no, no, no, yes.

Get everything from Van Halen, not Van Hagar, except maybe 5150 and Balance. Everything from the Roth years though.

The Danish band D.A.D - especially "Riskin' it all", "No fuel left for the pilgrims" and their latest, "Monster Philosophy". They're really great, heavy rock rather than metal. Some critics call them country-punk or country-metal. I only know that they're a great band!

Holy hell Anomica, I haven't heard that name in a long time. I have "No Fuel Left for the Pilgrims" on tape somewhere, I'll have to dig it out. I remember it being good but the only song I can recall off it right now is Sleeping My Day Away..... good tune.

D&N said:
Get everything from Van Halen, not Van Hagar, except maybe 5150 and Balance. Everything from the Roth years though.

That's not fair. Van Hagar was superior to Roth-led Van Halen, in my opinion. And the two Van Hagar albums you skipped - OU812 and FUCK - are both great. In fact, FUCK is that band's masterpiece.

You see, Roth-era VH had great guitar, and Roth was charismatic. BUT: Roth wasn't much of a singer, and their songs were average.

Van Hagar had much better songwriting, lyrics, melodies and arrangements. And Sammy can out-sing DLR any day of the week.

I'd agree with the above statement... I'm a much bigger Hagar fan than I am of DLR.  And I absolutely love FUCK; I don't think it has a 'weak' song on the album. I was originally opposed to Van Hagar cause I just didn't think it would be Van Halen-- but I think, song for song, the Sammy years produced a better 'best of' list.  (IMO)

Ah hell, another Roth/Hagar debate!

I like Sammy too... much more without the Van Halens than with. You're right, he is a better singer.

Bottom line is: Roth Van Halen - more kick ass attitude with brilliant rock anthems; Van Hagar - mostly chick rock all about feelings

The former is far superior.

D&N said:
Ah hell, another Roth/Hagar debate!
And don't we despise such debates.

For what it's worth, I'm sort of with you on this one Deano - I never really liked Van Halen as such, but I prefered them with Roth. And I prefered Hagar as a solo artist prior to joining them.

I'll admit that the earlier DLR/Halen stuff was pretty good... a lot of re-makes, but with good guitar in them.  I really don't like 1984 at all... some ok stuff, but not my style.  I loved 5150, Summer NIghts is, possibly, my fav VH song ever.  But, I'm baised; I'd listen to Sammy sing with the BAck STreet Boys.

Back to the question at hand:

Audioslave-- I don't think I've seen anyone talk about em on this board, but that's Chris Cornell (post-Soundgarden) with some of the guys from Rage Against The Machine (if memory serves).  I'm a fan of Cornell, with Soundgarden, Audioslave, Temple Of The Dog, or solo-- each is a little different sound, but I like 'em all.  If you don't have, give it a try!

Back