Music obtaining binge

The Beatles -Abbey Road.
Beatles-AbbeyRoad.jpg

get it!
an incredible record, and its b'side is considered as the best single side ever recorded

after digging that record, procced with some Stones ones
this is the recommended order :

1. let it bleed -1969- (the first post Jones record)
2. exile on main street -1972- althought a bit underestimated in its time, today is considering the best Stones ever
3. black and blue -1976- very experimental and cool record
4. sticky fingers -1971- some ultra classics in this one
5. beggars banguette -1968- the last record with Jones

after having digged these 5, go back to some Beatles :

1. The White Album -1968-
2. St Pepper's.... -1967-

then back to Stones :

1. Her Satanic Majesty Request -1967-

you are in the psychedelic year now : the holy 1967

Jefferson Airplane : Surrealistic Pillow
The Doors : The Doors
Iron Batterfly : In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida
Procol Harum : Whiter Shade of Pale
The Grateful Dead : The Grateful Dead
The Cream : Disraeli Gears

after to understand the why of this era jump a lit' back to 1966 : The Beatles again  and the mighty 'Revolver' maybe their finest work ever !!
Revolver.jpg

the same year The Aftermath of Rolling Stones is another one album of reference

then, I'll suggest you to search the Yardbyrds and the birth of English blues :
Having a Rave Up -1965
For Your Love -1965

after these two records digged you'll understand better the early works of Beatles and Stones

when all of the above are done, you'll be ready to step to the magic world of Peter Green  :)
and the early Fleetwood Mac

green.jpg

oh yes. get some Fleetwood Mac -start from the period 1967 -1969 (after he got crazy)

he was a flower  :( at only 19 years old he featured in John Mayall's A Hard Road -1966
he moved to Fleetwood Mac from 1967 to 1970
showing an incredible maturity in his solos
about 1970 (24 years old) he took a trip and since, he never really returned
althought, he made some attemps to return to music in late 70s
and recorded some faire songs as Slabo Day (Kolors, 1983)

I wonder how you're doing this LooseCannon:
Do you make an alphabetic list and try to get these names one by one? :)

Ah, and from a personal note, I am a bit curious: You haven't responded to any of the bands I have mentioned in this topic (in contrary to most other people's suggestions).

Does that mean you don't know them (well enough to react)?

I'm sorry, Foro.  I intend to lock the topic one it hits 100 replies.  Then I will make a list of all suggestions that I want.

And I didn't respond to most of your suggestions simply because when I read them, I was in a rush :)  Speaking of, I have about half of what you said, and I intend to sample the ones I am utterly unfamiliar with.

This is actually a great thread, cause I was thinking the same thing that LC was: wanting a good list of things to add.

@LC:  when you list your 'suggestion list' feel free to add you own suggestions for those of us that are trying to build up our own lists.

no5, "to dig" a record means "to like" it, nothing else.

Anyway, some more recommendations:

Ensiferum
Norther (basically the same as Children of Bodom)
Machine Men
Powerwolf
Warbringer
Suffocation
Finntroll

I've seen all of those live in 2008.

I've only heard of Ensiferum and Machine men there, I'll have to sample the list.

Another band:

Soilwork (especially their album The Chainheart Machine (2000) is a must have!)

LooseCannon said:
I'm sorry, Foro.  I intend to lock the topic one it hits 100 replies.  Then I will make a list of all suggestions that I want.

And I didn't respond to most of your suggestions simply because when I read them, I was in a rush :)  Speaking of, I have about half of what you said, and I intend to sample the ones I am utterly unfamiliar with.

Thanks for the reaction, I'll continue to contribute. :)

A lot of the bands you suggest are either ones I know and love, or ones I have never ever heard of, so I can't give much "oh man!" reaction to it, but I fully intend to go investigate.

ok, here's a few more to make you even more confused.

Are you into guitar music like Hendrix? If so try the other masters like Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, or try Frank Marino(particularly his fairly recent double live album).Or the G3 series(satriani,vai + 1 other)maybe something more gentle like Robin trower

or older stuff not yet mentioned (I think) Bachman Turner Overdrive,Free,Bad company or Argent.

Or an introduction into doom-My Dying Bride

Or more riff based Mastodon, Machine Head, or Gojira

Or more Stoner rock like Kyuss(Josh Homme of QOTSA played guitar)

I went back and cruised the listings... I didn't see this, but how bout the Motor City Madman, Ted Nugent?  I like his older stuff:  White Buffalo, Stranglehold, etc.

Also, for some older 'classic' stuff, how bout the Yardbirds?

Monster Magnet - now, I only have one CD by these guys and that is Powertripping, but I have to say it is an absolutely brilliant CD.

And on the same line, Alabama Thunderpussy - forget the silly name, these guys produce some sublime music. At times, it has a feel of how Metallica could sound if Hetfield had it all his way.

Bolt Thrower
Cloven Hoof
Cruachan
Crystal Ball
Demon
Exciter
Jaguar
Praying Mantis

And mostly:

Holy Martyr. The cheesiest band this side of the Thermopyles. Their albums are called "Still At War" and "Hellenic Warrior Spirit" (I wrote a review of the latter on the Metal Archives). They are best described by quoting the liner notes from the second album:

During 2003, Holy Martyr were the first band in the history of Heavy Metal with themes about Spartans and the Battle Of Termophiles (sic). This was our supremacy and we are back again, with the same Spartan spirit of five years ago, but this album is not a concept about the famous battle. We sing about Hellenic Warrior Spirit, about the heroism of the Hellenes to all those who have not knelt facing the enemy. We sing of Sparta. There's no need for historical details. What remains from Sparta is the concept of bravery and valour. This is the spirit in out music. We are Lakedaimon Heavy Metal. The sign of the Lambda shall prevail.

Note: It is not correct that they were the first heavy metal band to have themes about Sparta. There were two NWoBHM bands called Sparta and Spartan Warrior respectively, which are also worth checking out.

Magnum

Virgin Steele
This band has for me the heroism of Manowar, but there's more depth, more literature knowledge, more influences of mythology, Ancient Greece, more classical influences, more intelligent music, and it's a way more versatile band.
In other words, don't miss them, especially not the two "The Marriage Of Heaven And Hell" albums, and "Invictus".

Amon Amarth.  If you're into growling vocals or heavier stuff at all, then definitely check them out.  Melodic death metal with viking themes, they're on the cheesier end of death metal, but nothing close to Manowar. I've seen them live twice this year, and both times were great.  If you're interested, try their latest two albums, With Oden on Our Side or Twilight of the Thundergod.

I have Amon Amarth, not big on the vocals though.

Foro, again, no clue, but I will check :)

Alright! VS are from the USA.

Magnum is a British band with a strong vocalist.
Check out this live song (Soldier of the Line) to hear what he sounds like. That performance is from 2005. This is the studio version of 1982.

Maiden opened for them in their early days.
:)

Back