Murders in the Rue Morgue

How good is Murders in the Rue Morgue on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
I like how the intro builds up until the explosion.It flows nice until the solo part.It repeats itself after that a bit. 9/10

7/10 one of those early storytelling jobbies. not a huge fan and sortof midtable in the album... its OK but a bit long winded for what it is actually doing

This song is a hell of a rocker. Paul's delivery is great here and Steve and Clive provide a nice rhythm for this rampant song. This song has energy in abundance, and Paul's voice suits it extremely well. 9/10

Great song. Maybe Maiden's most fun song, both lyrically and it's an easy sing-a-long. Guitars are amazing throughout the track, especially the intro. Paul does drag it down some for me, it's not his performance, I've just never felt his voice was powerful enough for Maiden. 9/10

The last of the three great songs to start the album. It was a promising start. Very catchy and another strong song to follow wrathchild. I wouldn't mind seeing this one live either.

9/10

Atmospheric intro. Great musicianship. Good drive in this one but seems to be to much lyrics pushed in at places.

6/10

Begins somber but picks up really quick with some great guitar melodies. Excellent, catchy chorus with matching guitar.
I absolutely love the guitar harmonies during the bridge. The verses are fast and fun, but probably the weakest part.
Overall a very good song, probably second best to the title track.

8/10

Great song that tells the story of a murderer on the loose in Paris. An early indication of Steve's keen interest in the macabre and historical literature in General.
9/10

This song is growing on me. There's definitely a lot of energy present in this song, and the intro sequence sets a wonderful mood.

8/10.

RTC's Maiden Ranking:
1: Phantom Of The Opera: 9/10
2: Remember Tomorrow: 8/10
3: Murders In The Rue Morgue: 8/10
4: Wrathchild: 7/10
5: Transylvania: 7/10
6: Strange World: 6/10
7: Sanctuary: 6/10
8: Prowler: 6/10
9: Iron Maiden: 5/10
10: Charlotte The Harlot: 5/10
11: Running Free: 4/10
12: The Ides Of March: 2/10

That intro is my favourite part in this song by far. It sets up the song really nicely, having some neat atmosphere. Then intensifies greatly with a lightning fast drum part which leads into the energetic main song.

This song tells a story but I can never get invested in it because I can't really hear the lyrics without using my trusty booklet.

I do like that chorus. It's a nice contrast from the verses which are fast. Tempo-changes! That's always something I like...well, unless they're done really badly.

I'll give this a 6/10.

A long time ago I really disliked this track. I'm not sure it's a masterpiece. But it is a really fun ride.

Typical Steve Harris slow intro. What an unoriginal asshole. Can't write.

Paul sounds quite good here. If I have a critique it's that the guitar seems a little generic here. A very good song, and I am easily comfortable giving this an 8/10.

10/10. My first 10 goes to MITRM. As a lifelong reader of Poe this song is right up my alley. Great lyrics and playing all around. I feel that this track is the equilivent of Phantom from the 1st album.

This song is a hell of a rocker. Paul's delivery is great here and Steve and Clive provide a nice rhythm for this rampant song. This song has energy in abundance, and Paul's voice suits it extremely well. 9/10
Thankfully, the song has held up for me. Still 9/10.

10/10

Rue Morgue is a brilliant song. It’s fast enough that Paul probably had trouble keeping up with the lyrics at gigs. The rhythm section dominates throughout the track and the harmonized twin lead in the bridge is perfect: Murray and Smith play the solo together and it sounds just like police sirens. Steve Harris’ bass fill immediately following the build-up of Paul’s line, “Down the south to Italy” is one of my favorite Maiden moments of all time. I wish this song would get brought back into rotation, as I think Bruce Dickinson would, pardon my pun, kill it.

Back