Mother of Mercy

How good is Mother of Mercy on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
The quote was "I don't listen to music". I don't know what he meant by that. Could be that he doesn't listen to today's music, sure.

Seems to be a recurring theme...

2 Minutes to Midnight: The glamour, the fortune, the pain.

These Colour's Don't Run: For the passion, for the glory, For the memories, for the money.

Mother of Mercy: Thought it was for money, make my fortune, now I'm not so sure.

Of all the things going to war can bring, fortune is not one of them. Is it? Passion - yes, Glory - yes (to a certain degree) but as a lucrative thing?

Albie said:
Seems to be a recurring theme...

2 Minutes to Midnight: The glamour, the fortune, the pain.

These Colour's Don't Run: For the passion, for the glory, For the memories, for the money.

Mother of Mercy: Thought it was for money, make my fortune, now I'm not so sure.

Of all the things going to war can bring, fortune is not one of them. Is it? Passion - yes, Glory - yes (to a certain degree) but as a lucrative thing?

I'd guess that in many countries, military service is a good way to earn money for those without a job; at least, no requirements in terms of work experience or education.  It's not a way to get rich, but it is a way to earn money if you can't otherwise.

In Canada, people join the military because it's a job that pays decent. Or to get them to pay for your university. My dad is in the navy for 32 years now, and he likes his job - but he also makes a decent wage. Probably not a huge one, but they also paid for him to go to school.

People join the military in the UK to, on the whole, learn a trade - or to land a job that is possibly more secure than in the private sector. It will be a fairly good wage, but recruits would not be enticed in by money.

I guess you might be if you had no training at all. Though you could suggest that the warrior is a mercenary, and they are paid quite handsomely.

I love this song, it is one of my favourites, i like everything about it but especially i love the ending "i'm just a lonely soldier" part. aweome :edmetal:

I like this song, even if it threatens to kill me every time I try to sing along with Bruce in the chorus LOL. But I think it's kinda out of place on this album. I haven't really listened to AMOLAD (I'm a Maiden newbie even though I've known the band for quite a few years now) but I know that it's heavily war-related so it's a bit tired by now, what do you think? TFF sounds more like an adventure-themed album to me.

For the sake of archiving:

For this album, Mother of Mercy was the 4th song that was recorded, on January 13, 2010.

Daily Song: Mother of Mercy

Welcome to the Daily Vote Thread! Rules are here.

Remember, only a decent review will count towards the contest.

Today's song: Mother of Mercy

Yesterday's song remains open for voting! You can find it here.

I can't say I love this track, though it is on the upswing currently. I have some thoughts about that it is, what the "Mother of Mercy" might be, but to be honest? I think it is a combination of several different "war" themes. Normally, I don't mind the music, but in this case, it seems a little bland in places. I can't give it above a 6.

Re: Daily Song: Mother of Mercy

10! My initial favourite from the album and still in my top 3. Amazing song, the lyrics are as effective on me as Paschendale and The Longest Day. The only problem is that it doesn't last long enough to tell a fully fledged story. The intro is probably my favourite part from the album.

Awesome song. Not good enough for a 10, but definitely a 9.

I'll go with an 8 on this one. Really like, although it seems more like an AMOLAD song to me. The way "mother" explodes out of Bruce's mouth in the chorus is quite effective. In fact the drama of the lyrics throughout matches quite well with the music.

Vap said:
Awesome song. Not good enough for a 10, but definitely a 9.

I quite agree with you. It's a great song, 'Mother Of Mercy' is. What prevents it from a 10/10 rating is the fact that there could have been a much better chorus.
All the same, it's a pity they don't play it live.
(9/10).

This is one of my favourites off the album, love the lyrics and the ending to the song is awesome!!! 9/10 :)

This mini-The Longest Day or mini-Paschendale loses a mark for the fact a second solo could have easily been squeezed in.  Apart from that a rip roaring track.

7/10 I like everything but the chorus.  Seems like a pretty stock Maiden song, nothing terribly special yet also not awful or anything.  Just a little bland. 

Back