Most underated songs

Forostar said:
Maiden don't know their albums. They only know their live played songs. Maybe they do know, but then they are laziest or scariest band of the planet. Lazy to learn, scared for change.
This is, unfortunately, the truth.

Forostar said:
All other bands band did this better than Maiden. So I completely agree but I think all other bands have more respect for their own whole discography than Maiden.

Maiden don't know their albums. They only know their live played songs. Maybe they do know, but then they are laziest or scariest band of the planet. Lazy to learn, scared for change.

I dunno about "all" other bands, but certainly, Maiden are a very bad offender when it comes to non-variation in their setlists. I think what makes Metallica (in recent years) different from a lot of bands, is they will often play around with the setlist several times during the same tour. And have even, on a small number of ocassions, omitted altogether maybe their most famous song, "Enter Sandman". Whereas another of my fave bands, Judas Priest, more or less play the exact same setlist for the duration of a tour. But the difference between Priest and Maiden, is that Priest are unafraid to make some surprising setlist alterations from tour to tour. On their last tour, they played 3 numbers that hadn't been aired live in a very long time, and were never setlist staples: "Between The Hammer And The Anvil", "Devil's Child", and "Rock Hard, Ride Free". And also, one song which had never before been played live: "Eat Me Alive" from 1984's "Defenders Of The Faith. On their current Epitaph tour, they pulled out 2 songs that had not been played live since the 70's: "Starbreaker", and "Never Satisfied". And, another song which until this year, had never been played live: "Blood Red Skies" from 1988's "Ram It Down".

In the face of this, it just saddens me all the more that Maiden, another band with a vast catalogue, rich in awesome songs, consistently choose to ignore many, many, songs that are equally as good, and sometimes, even better, then the songs they choose to play all the time, every single tour. I hate to say it about a band I love so much, but I think you are right. They are lazy, and probably scared of change as well. It's just a shame the band members will probably never read our views and realise that their true and devoted fans love so much more than the standard Trooper, RTTH, Fear Of The Dark, 2MTM, etc... that they feel we need to hear every single tour. It's sad, and I hope they come to their senses about this, and start delving deep into their catalogue and start giving the real fans what they want. Some of the undervalued classics that they've neglected for so long, before it becomes too late, and such a huge portion of their discography will have gone completely ignored in their live sets. *sighs*

Sorry about the rant...  :lol:

Is scared the right word for this?
Or is it more conservative, or even obtuse?
I think we get Steve's favorite songs mixed with the songs he believes that the fans like the most from the tour theme, plus the same from the back catalogue.
That's his formula and he's sticking to it.
We do get a mix of setlists from tour to tour and we do get to hear an excellent amount of live material from each new album.
What we don't get are enough surprises.
And I'm with the rest of you. A few would be nice.

I agree mostly with mckindog, but I also want to add another consideration: ease of play. The band doesn't bust out highly technical or difficult songs as much anymore as they used to. You can find some thoughts on the IMC, from 10 years ago (I'm old.), where Mav was noting that Dave has been adjusting solos to play them a little less aggressively. Iron Maiden is a bunch of guys in their 50s. They don't want to be doing technically difficult stuff too often. Mostly, the songs are straight-forward.

LooseCannon said:
I agree mostly with mckindog, but I also want to add another consideration: ease of play. The band doesn't bust out highly technical or difficult songs as much anymore as they used to. You can find some thoughts on the IMC, from 10 years ago (I'm old.), where You Know Who was noting that Dave has been adjusting solos to play them a little less aggressively. Iron Maiden is a bunch of guys in their 50s. They don't want to be doing technically difficult stuff too often. Mostly, the songs are straight-forward.

Sorry, I'm going to have to dissagree, Maiden don't choose the songs that are the easiest to play, they choose the songs that they belive will excite the crowd. They choose songs that are easy to sing along with, songs that allow the crowd to join in.

When I went to my first Maiden concert, to be honest I was kind of "dreading" (not sure if that's the right word) "The Number of the Beast" and "Fear of the Dark" because I've heard those songs over and over again, but when they came up on the setlist the crowd went absolutely crazy, and you get to experience that amazing vibe you get from a roaring crowd.

I'm sure the boys get tired of playing the same old trademark songs over and over again, but honestly, they're doing it for all the new fans out there.

LC is right. They're both slightly tricky for a new fan to learn maybe, but Maiden wrote these songs and have played them for decades. They could play Number, Fear or a dozen other songs in their sleep.

SinisterMinisterX said:
LC is right. They're both slightly tricky for a new fan to learn maybe, but Maiden wrote these songs and have played them for decades. They could play Number, Fear or a dozen other songs in their sleep.

Then the allegation that they are "lazy" I think still rings true. After all. the guys in Priest are older than the guys in Maiden, yet they can dust off songs they haven't played in decades, or even never played at all outside of the studio. And the guys in Metallica are pretty close in age to the guys in Maiden, and their songs could hardly be classed as easy to learn/play either. But yet they can still vary their setlists and play different songs.

Whilst LooseCannon may also have a point that they keep playing these same songs for the new fans, that just makes it sound like they have a complete disregard for their older fanbase as far as setlists go. They should be trying to cater for both their old and new fans. Which whilst I can see can be a hard balancing act, if other bands can do it, why not Maiden? After all, Priest were still able to play some setlist staples/standards, like Electric Eye, You Got Another Thing Coming, and Painkiller, whilst still being able to play a couple of new ones, plus some long forgotten, neglected gems too. So it can be done, and if Priest can do it, then age shouldn't be made the excuse. Particularly when Maiden have been guilty of this for a lot of years now.

strange world
unbeliever
sea of madness
the three songs from powerslave never performed live (village, duel, flash)
the killers album (as in most of the album not played live in many years , twilight zone, purgatory, genghis khan, innocent exile etc: as in wrathchild, murders, killers and the occasional another life performance doesnt do this album justice)
judas my guide
here we go, Bring Your Daughter, despite being better served on a bruce solo album, this song has the only real maidenesque riff on no prayer for the dying
public enema no 1
fates warning (reminds of something from sabbaths mob rules album)

IMO The Duellists is one of the weakest Maiden songs from the 80's. It's very popular on this forum though.

I feel that "The Duellists" is too similar in style to "Where Eagles Dare"...
almost a variation on the same idea but with a less-complicated arrangement.

It would've been interesting if they just took the best parts of "The Duellists"
and merged them into "Losfer Words" to make one really cool album track.
(These songs would probably combine nicely with their similar 3/4 rhythm foundation).

10 years ago when maiden officially started the 6 man line-up, question arises regarding the setlist i.e similar song played live over and over .. either bruce or steve himself respond that they're NOT cabaret band. now i'd like to ask .. what does actually means by cabaret bands?? as far as i concern, iron maiden never play other band's or artistes' song live other than whatever came from their own album .. and people just ask 'em to vary their setlist. is that too much to ask?? do we need, a anti-putin type of rally gather in front of steve's house .. or burn ourselves in front of steve house .. or hunger strike maybe .. if that meant to get a more varied setlist from maiden .. to get maiden learn their own song that been ignored live from all thair catalogues?? if that soo .. so shalt it be written .. shalt it be done!! .. don't get me wrong, I love to attend their next Maiden England Tour and enjoy their whole set BUT I love it more if they do kind of "after the massive flood" or "after the armageddon" or "beast in the closet" tour which the setlist entirely containing all songs that they never played live before .. never played!!! .. and with that, we'll get a chance to enjoy Alexander The Great live ..

just my 50 cents

They are lazy to the point that I am not sure if I'm going to see them anymore. Certainly I'm not ready to travel for a boring setlist and soundcheck done with "left hand".

Let me tell you something. I will be enjoying this "Lazy, scared, repetitive cabaret act 3 times this summer!! And that is a fact Jack!!! Maybe the 50+ year old lads should just call all of you complainers individually and find out what exactly you want them to travel thousand of miles around the globe and play personally for you. There will be a time, shortly I'm afraid, when you all will be pining for a classic or two being played during a live IRON MAIDEN set list. I am thankful for this amazing time in my favorite bands career, and every concert this decade has been stellar. Reliving the great old tunes after an hour + of a mix of Paschendale, FOTN, TCDR,Talisman,Coming home etc....was a perfect blend.
Now Maiden England is a history type tour. Period. You will get"some surprises" and some rarer classics. And the inevitable well played classics. Enjoy it people. This is a great, great time and this tour will be epic!!

Not that it was specifically mentioned, but I think people have the right to question why Maiden have to do a tour like Maiden England; or why they want to. I mean, do the fans want it? Why not just get working on another album?

I see this tour, Maiden England, as a big fat gift to the fans. Those of us who were around and fans of Maiden back when Seventh Son was new, appreciate this like you cannot imagine. I was 12 or 13 when the original Maiden England came down. It is like a step back in time, to the best time ever. When I get out there to Irvine and see that stage setup with the ice and snow:applause::dancinggeek::scared: !! A new album is coming. Probably in a year or so, after the tour. But this type of tour is as exciting for me than a new album. Its all good!! Let's just hope they leave Still Life in!!

Not that it was specifically mentioned, but I think people have the right to question why Maiden have to do a tour like Maiden England; or why they want to. I mean, do the fans want it? Why not just get working on another album?

Well, speaking for myself, I'm really young, and the prospect of seeing Maiden England makes me cream myself. It's my favorite setlist and I've always been sad that I wasn't alive to see it back in the day. For fans my age, this is a huge gift. I'd love to see a new album, too, but I won't complain about seeing a show I've always wanted to see.

I agree with the sentiments of Maiden being on the lazy side when it comes to setlist. I think they could shuffle it up a lot. I think the true fans, the ones who aren't going there casually, should be the ones rewarded with buckets of gems. Bruce Springsteen plays songs only his hardcore fan base would enjoy, and the casual fans don't complain. I personally think casual fans would just be going for the experience and not mind the setlist as much as the hardcore, so why not "shuffle it all?"

When Maiden dusted off Moonchild for SBIT, everyone around me went batshit crazy. Even my friend who was a casual fan and didn't know the song went batshit crazy. They should give it a shot.

All that said, I've learned from following certain bands not to complain about a band that's touring and releasing albums regularly. :p

Back