Most underated songs

Where Eagles Dare said:
Quest For Fire! 
Youll probably have a hard time argueing theres positives there. But for not knowing us you quickly analysed whats probably a collective low. I put the loneliness around mid table maybe a bit lower so good pics and welcome  :)

I would agree with Drifter, BOH version is just  :eek:

And I would also vote for To Tame A Land, easily a 5* song and while it is appreciated, I would say not enough.

mtmccox said:
Fear Is The Key is great but hated for some reason..
They're lying, actually they love it. It's just all lies and lies and lies and lies and lies and lies and lies and lies and lies, you know.

I liked Fear Is The Key musically; well I like all the songs but this is the last song to feature Bruce's screaming on a studio album. Lyrically though it just isn't very appealing to the younger audience when they talk about society issues.

Total Eclipse, The Pilgrim, and Remember Tomorrow ( the instrumental section  :notworthy:) are a few that come to mind. Don't even get me started on the X-factor  :D

edge of darkness said:
Total Eclipse, The Pilgrim, and Remember Tomorrow ( the instrumental section  :notworthy:) are a few that come to mind. Don't even get me started on the X-factor   :D

Nice on the Pilgirm, I'll second (third) this. So catchy. Such a great Arabian riff. And breaks up the epics on AMOLAD perfectly.

For me it's "Be Quick or be Dead".  When I first heard this song I was completely blown away. So fast for Maiden.  I wonder why they neglect it in there set lists?

vomit said:
For me it's "Be Quick or be Dead".  When I first heard this song I was completely blown away. So fast for Maiden.  I wonder why they neglect it in there set lists?
Because there are much better songs to be played! :p Nah, I love this song, but IMO they can do much better with openers.

I think Donner makes a really good point on the previous page about what is, and is not " underrated."

Before I found Maidenfans, I used to think it was pretty easy to define Maiden’s most underrated songs.
— they were the ones that were obviously great but didn’t seem to get a lot of attention from the band or the media.
Or…
— they were the ones people seemed to bash a lot that really weren’t all that bad

But on Maidenfans I discovered that far from being underrated, Still Life is almost universally loved, and that there are plenty of people who love of Sea of Madness just as much as I do, and that for all those who hate The Angel and the Gambler there is a fair number who think it’s pretty catchy (if overlong).

And it got me thinking that it’s time to redefine “underrated.”
Maybe underrated should not about that song you absolutely love that lots of people don’t, or the song you don’t mind that is frequently put down.
Maybe it should about the song you like that nobody seems to pay much attention to.

With that in mind, these are my two candidates for Maidens most underrated track:

Como Estais Amigo was my daughter’s favourite song when she was little and it has always had sentimental value for that reason. But listening to it today, I was struck by how emotional it is. It’s got this great dignity and pathos to it — a real stirring, stately feel that would legitimately work as a national anthem. It is easily Blaze’s best performance on a Maiden record. Add in some vintage Maiden guitar harmonies and a killer solo and I wonder why it is seldom mentioned.

Somewhere along the line, Flight of Icarus got slotted into the “too-commercial” bin of Maiden songs. I can’t blame fans who find it lacking compared to the grandeur of Revelations, the hardcore gallop of The Trooper or Still Life’s creepy feel. But give it another listen. This is no fun-but-simple Running Free. It’s nicely composed and arranged with mid-tempo rhythms that are atypical for Maiden and do a great job of building dramatic tension. It remains one of Bruce’s most powerful and emotional performances ever. The course is catchy without ever pandering. The solos are sublime. This is not a 10, but it is a killer track that somehow never really gets recognized as such anymore.

I recommend giving them both another serious listen.

The term underrated gets abused a lot. I think overlooked and underappreciated are the terms you're looking for.

Let's see The Prisoner's daily song ratings: It has more 10s and 9s combined than others combined. Underrated? I don't really think so.

finalfrontier said:
I think there are many as far as opinions go but I always thought Sea of Madness had an amazing interlude and a bassline that fits the lyrical content perfectly.
Other favorites include The Duelist, The Prisoner, and Only the Good Die Young.
Sea of Madness is definitely one of my all time favourites.

Back