Most Overrated Maiden Song

Yes, I think "Run To The Hills" and "The Number Of The Beast" are quite over-rated. But, I'm not saying I don't like the song. In fact, I love them both. I just think they're a little over-praised (if that's a word :D).

I'm new on this board, and i'll probably get slammed for my opinion...but here goes.

Hallowed be Thy Name......

I've heard some say it's the best metal song ever, and i've been a fan for 25 years, but i'm just not into this song.  I am not saying it's a bad song but if we are talking overrated songs...it has to be a song in the spotlight.  Number of the Beast is another overrated one but not as bad as Hallowed be Thy Name.

....stops to duck, while people throw fruit at me....... :dead:

Howdy ... I'm new to the forum, and actually fairly new to Maiden (came to 'em late: mid-30s). But I'm pretty obsessed at the moment and trying to make up for lost time.

My two cents as a neophyte on the "most overrated Maiden song"? Gotta be "Alexander the Great." Killer song, killer idea, but I suspect Harris spent all of 5 minutes on the lyrics, pulling every other line out of a textbook or encyclopedia entry. I have great admiration for his epics and think a lot of the historic-themed stuff (especially on the later albums) is excellent. But I think ATG was phoned in, lyrically. Bruce does a fine job of making the words sound grander than they are, but read 'em, and it's like a bad book report. Harris can and has done much better. All that said ... the song itself (performance, arrangement, etc.) sounds epic and powerful, so maybe in the end that's all that matters.

There is a cover of Alexander the Great from one of the tribute albums (I forget which one) which I prefer to the original because the music is more powerful.  I admit that for an epic, the lyrics do NOT do it justice.

In addition to "Alexander the Great," I also gotta nominate "Dance of Death." I really wish I could get behind that one, but it just screams "Stonehenge" to me. Seeing it "live" on the Death on the Road DVD just hammered that home even more. And not just because it's a silly song ... it actually SOUNDS like "Stonehenge." All it's missing is the dancing (sorry, "prancing") dwarves during the middle section. What really makes the song (and a lot of the album, I gotta admit) stick out like a sore thumb though is ... I think "A Matter of Life and Death" is one of the best rock albums I've heard in years, and "Brave New World" ain't far behind.

In my opinion the most overrated Maiden Song is The Trooper.
I think it's a very good song and sometimes listen to it, but I can't like it as much as the others.  :(
There are a few people at my school that know a little about Iron Maiden, and they always tell me
that they have The Trooper. Also on Internet I see a lot of the "Cover Art" of the song.

It all depends how you look at it. Overrated by the members of the forum, overrated by the Maidenfans, overrated by the Metal community in general or overrated by people in general? I'll just go with the Maidenfans...

Run to the Hills! Every time you'll ask a fan who's not really die-hard or hardcore, but merely a shallow fan what's the best maiden song, you'll get the answer: "Run to the Hills! It rocks!!"

It's a good song, but not that bloody good people make it out to be. It's catchy and good yes. But it's not that frickin' memorable.

Like lots of the people that have poted here, I'm a newbie, and a newer Maiden worshipper (well, I should say H and Murray... :D)

I don't have all their albums, but I do have my likes and dislikes. Starting w/the Paul albums, I like just about evry song except Prodigal Son cuz it's long and drawn out, and they never played it live. 
NOB is outstanding! But to many people it's only 3 songs: NOB, Run To the Hills, and Hallowed Be Thy Name. They could be overrated, I guess...I dunno
From POM-7th Son I just love all of them. Although Can I Paly w/Madness can get a bit annoying after hearing it a few too many times in a row.

I don't have NP or FOTD or the Blaze albums, so I can't judge those. Well, I take that back, I have Best Of the Beast and the Blaze songs on there are good. None I feel are overrated

Then the "reunion"...
BNW is a masterpiece! It grew on me after listening it the album in its entirety about 10 times over a month or so...
DOD is great too, but a few songs I don't care for...Montsegur, Age Of Innocence...they don't do anything for me. It's one song...Paschendale. Best song ever  :D

AMOLAD is terrific!

So in the end the most overrated song to me is...Run To the Hills.

I chose that one, too.  What makes it so overrated for me is the fact that I've met (offhand) several "Maiden fans" who only know one song really -- yep, you guess it, Run to the Hills.

You know what I mean.  The iPod generation seems to think that if they like a single song from a band, they're somehow "in" and "cool" and therefore part of the band's fan base.  (I suppose my generation had dolts like that, as well).

Overrated?

Charllote The Harlot and Iron Maiden. Two instrumentals from Killers, Murders In The Rue Morgue. Run To The Hills. The Duellists. Can I Play With Madness. 50% of Fear Of The Dark, and 80% of The X Factor.

IMHO.

This stuff isn't all overrated by the same people, I think.

The people who rate The X Factor high, are typically not the same people who think Run To The Hills is Maiden's greatest song. And which half of FOTD do you find overrated? By whom?

On this board I think Fear of the Dark is far less overrated than outside - many here seem to agree with me that it is mainly filler with a few good songs.

But what do I think is overrated?

Well, generally I think the well-known, often played songs like The Number ..., Run to the Hills, and Fear of the Dark are overrated. To some extent also Can I Play With Madness. And considering a certain song from NPFTD has been #1 in the UK and is mentioned by many, I would say it is overrated as well.

Also, I think some overrate HBTN ... by saying it is waaay better than anything else from Maiden. It is one of my favourite songs, perhaps number one sometimes, but not miles ahead of the rest.

That people here rate The X Factor high is fine with me, as a counterweight to all those who say it is crap. I find it good, but not brilliant. I'd say Perun overrates it and the mainstream listeners underrate it  :)

Eddies Wingman said:
I'd say Perun overrates it and the mainstream listeners underrate it  :)

You'd better be careful if Perun reads this, he might come for you.

Rime of the Ancient Mariner- I DESPISE it. It's repetitie, boring and gets on my nerves.
The Trooper sometimes gets on my nerves, but I won't condemn it as overrated.
Back in the Village
Bring Your Daughter to the Slaughter- boring and repetitive after a while
Wasting Love

Eddies Wingman said:
That people here rate The X Factor high is fine with me, as a counterweight to all those who say it is crap. I find it good, but not brilliant. I'd say Perun overrates it and the mainstream listeners underrate it  :)

Who's overrated? :p

Run to the Hills. Maybe the only Maiden song which is played on Finnish radio stations  <_<
Bring Your Daughter... Very repetitive and stupid. This is the best selling Maiden single?  :blink:

Kauha-Apina said:
Bring Your Daughter... Very repetitive and stupid. This is the best selling Maiden single?  :blink:

No. Actually, Run To The Hills is.

Dunno, but I do remember reading that the original 1982 single sold more copies than Bring Your Daughter... ...To The Slaughter did.

Back