Most memorable Maiden concert moments

Also, I don't know about you guys, but I rarely remember anything about a show, maybe just a few "snapshots" here and there. Maybe it's because I'm singing all the time? Who knows...
Same with me. I went to many concerts, yet I can't remember much from the Maiden show, except that it was totally awesome.

A thought for all: How many of us get their heart racing when they hear the crowd noise and first chords from the Strangers in the Night version of Doctor Doctor? I think I will always instantly recognise the cheers from the beginning of that track alone.
Interestingly enough, I remember going mental to the song when it was played at a metal party once... and when it was over, I noticed that I had subconciously prepared myself for something coming up after that. I was full of the adrenaline of anticipation, and had a feeling of deep disappointment afterwards, even though I knew nothing was going to happen.

Also, how many of us get an automatic feeling of satisfaction when they imagine the smell of sweat and beer, and the sound of this:

That's the stuff there Perun, Doctor Doctor just stirs up an uncanny feeling inside me, get's the neck hairs standing on end and 'Always...' is just sublime. :edmetal:

Why do Maiden play Doctor Doctor before every show? Is it just to let fans know when they are about to go on? Or is it a favorite of theirs that has become tradition? Have they always done this?

UFO were on of the bands that influenced Steve the most when he founded Iron Maiden so the song has some degree of personal significance to him, it's also something of a tradition as it serves to tell the fans when Maiden are about to play.

Yes, and if you check the commentary, Doctor, Doctor was a b-side on the Lord of the Flies and on the Virus single. And Rod commented Maiden's first time in LA was supporting UFO at Long Beach Arena in 1981, and Maiden pays tribute to "those bands they like and respect". I guess Maiden has a "lot of respect" to UFO.

These liner notes by Steve himself from the recent reissue of Strangers in the Night may shed some light on that:

Steve Harris talks 'Strangers...'

"UFO are one of my favourite bands and this is my favourite live album. Some albums get boring, but 30 years later I'm still listening to 'Strangers...'.

If I had to introduce UFO's music to someone who had never heard them I'd play 'SITN'. It's got everything you could want; great vibe, quality playing, quality songs; in fact it's just quality from top to toe! There's not one person who I know who doesn't love it - including my nine year old son! My daughter Lauren even covers 'Natural Thing' with her band. All of my kids love UFO and they all support West Ham too. Proof that I've brought them up properly!

I love their songwriting; a combination of power and melody, something that I've always tried to bring to Maiden's songs. If you're going to learn, then learn from the best. Adrian (Smith) is hugely influenced by UFO - not just Michael Schenker but also by Paul Chapman.

I've seen UFO live many, many times - first at the Marquee and then later at Hammersmith Odeon. I've been very lucky in that respect. We even supported them a couple of times in California in the early '80s, so I got to know them as people and they are great guys. I can remember watching them from the side of the stage, grinning from ear to ear!

UFO should have been bigger - much, much bigger. There are a million and one reasons whythat didn't happen, but the music isn't one of them. I guess 'Doctor Doctor' is their best known song - it's an all-time classic - but there's not one track on 'SITN' that I don't like. My favourite is 'Love to Love'; it gives me goose bumps every time I hear it - the way it builds and that bit in the intro when one guy in the crowd screams out, although Pete Way told me that was him screaming 'cos he dropped his bass on his foot!

We use 'Doctor Doctor' at Maiden gigs as our wake-up call. When that song comes on over the PA, it's our cue to the crew and the fans that we're ready to go on stage. We've done it for years and it's become something of a tradition for us. In fact, I can't wait to hear it tonight..."

Steve Harris, Iron Maiden.
Bogota, Colombia, 28. March 2008

Yes thanks. I didn't know Steve wrote liner notes to other albums.

I've seen Maiden 7 times so far (Somewhere in Time tour was my first) and thhe thing I always remember is the Maiden fans from different cities that I get to meet and talk with. I've met fans from all over the U.S. and it's as if we're all members in a secret and exclusive club. I've seen other bands on numerous qccasions and have never had the same experience or feeling. It goes without saying that I've never seen a bad Maiden show.

A thought for all: How many of us get their heart racing when they hear the crowd noise and first chords from the Strangers in the Night version of Doctor Doctor? I think I will always instantly recognise the cheers from the beginning of that track alone.

Nothing beats that feeling when you hear Doctor Doctor over the PA system at a Maiden gig. It's actually one of the highlights of the show.

My most memorable moment was my first Maiden gig in 2005 at the Parc Des Princes, Paris as part of the IMFC trip. Seeing Hallowed Be Thy Name live for the 1st time. It's my favourite song of all time and i am not ashamed to admit that when i saw it live for the 1st time, it brought tears to my eyes. That moment will remain with me until the day that i die.

My most memorable moment was my first Maiden gig in 2005 at the Parc Des Princes, Paris as part of the IMFC trip. Seeing Hallowed Be Thy Name live for the 1st time. It's my favourite song of all time and i am not ashamed to admit that when i saw it live for the 1st time, it brought tears to my eyes. That moment will remain with me until the day that i die.

Not only that, but you also got to see amazing classics like Remember Tomorrow, Phantom of the Opera, Where Eagles Dare, Prowler, etc. Songs that will probably never be played live again. Lucky man!

For me it was during Iron Maiden, seeing Janick Gers throw his guitar up in the air and catch it like three times was cool. He messed around with Alien Eddie and then at the end rode his guitar like a skateboard, I was mad that during Running Free Bruce introduced him and some people actually booed. Another cool part was during Two Minutes To Midnight Bruce said that it was a brand new song. And when he threw his hat at the audience he asked "you want my hat?" They cheered and he said "I thought you'd say that."

Not only that, but you also got to see amazing classics like Remember Tomorrow, Phantom of the Opera, Where Eagles Dare, Prowler, etc. Songs that will probably never be played live again. Lucky man!

Very true indeed. Lucky i am. I have been fortunate to see them 3 times since then each time i count myself lucky.:)

My first memorable maiden moment was seeing them live in 1988 on the 7th Son tour in New Orleans. Ace Frehley from Kiss was the open up act. I wanted to try and meet Ace and maiden so I hung out behind the arena for a while along with other fans. Low and behold a bus pulls up in front of the arena door. My girlfriend at the time stayed back in the car because it was too warm for her outside. The door to the bus opens up and out walks Maiden! They were less than a foot away from me as they walked past! I leaned into Bruce for an autograph bit a cop grabbed me! Bruce gave a smile to me and kept walking! The show itself was awesome. The first time I ever witnessed about 24,000 people headbanging in unison from the time Maiden started with Moonchild until the last good nights were said by Bruce and the house lights came up! Pretty cool! I'm now driving to Houston from New Orleans this August to see them for the first time since that warm Nawlin's October night back in '88! How sweet it is that this is going to be a replica tour of that same first experience I have! Can't wait! It's been 24 years since I've seen them with my own eyes! Hoping to meet them somehow too! If anyone has any tips on how to run in to them for signatures without disrupting them, please let me know. Wish they did a meet and greet like Kiss does!

I remember seeing them in Providence on 3/30/87, and whenever I heard those first notes of Phantom Of The Opera...I was NOT expecting that at all! That was before setlists appeared online!

I've seen them six times since 1992, and every show has been special in their own way:

1992: Caught them in Chicago for the FoTD tour, with Testament opening, and it was my first IM show. The one memory that sticks out is the opening to Afraid to Shoot Strangers.

1996: TXF: The only time I saw them indoors, they were playing theaters with Blaze. It was a different atmosphere, and the fans were much more into the older stuff, although the newer stuff sounded better with Blaze's voice. Fear Factory opened and they were intense.

2000: BNW: I drove four hours from Champaign, IL to Milwauee, even though I had to take comprehensive exams at the University of Illinois the next week. The band had a great raw energy that was lacking a bit at the previous show. The openers were Halford and Queenryche--a great pair.

2003: This was the Give Em Ed tour, and I remember being pissed that they had cut down their set from what htey were playing in Europe, taking out one of my favorite IM tunes--22 Acacia Avenue. On the positive side, Bruce was in his glory as he spent a good deal of time between songs ranting on a whole bunch of stuff.

2005: I saw them at Indianapolis for Ozzfest. This was a unique night given that Ozzy was under the weather, so IM did a slightly longer set (14 songs instead of the usual 10). This allowed for some cool tunes such as Prowler to make it into the show.

2010: Caught them in Cleveland on the early stages of the Final Frontier, when they played mostly post-reunion material. It went over very well, and I got the chance to see some really awesome songs such as These Colors Don't Run, and the Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg live. However, IMO the highlight was the interplay between Bruce and the crowd during Blood Brothers. The atmosphere for that song was spine-tingling.

I can't wait to see them in Atlanta for this tour. I missed them on the SBiT, so hopefully this will make up for it in terms of their presentation of classic IM material.

Back