Most favorite song from The Book Of Souls

What's your most favorite song from The Book Of Souls?

• If Eternity Should Fail

Votes: 22 19.1%
  • Speed Of Light

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • The Great Unknown

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • The Red And The Black

Votes: 18 15.7%
  • When The River Runs Deep

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • The Book Of Souls

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • Death Or Glory

• Shadows Of The Valley

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • Tears Of A Clown

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • The Man Of Sorrows

• Empire Of The Clouds

Votes: 27 23.5%

• Total voters
The Book Of Souls. It was my favorite song after the first listen, and my views don't seem to be changing after each subsequent listen. In fact, I like the song more and more every time I hear it. It will be firmly cemented in my top 10 Maiden songs, and it may even be the top song of the reunion era!

The Book Of Souls. It was my favorite song after the first listen, and my views don't seem to be changing after each subsequent listen. In fact, I like the song more and more every time I hear it. It will be firmly cemented in my top 10 Maiden songs, and it may even be the top song of the reunion era!

My thoughts exactly, aside from the "top song of the reunion era" part, it's a great song and I love it, but I'm not sure if I like it more than Paschendale or WTWWB :yes:

At the moment, Empire. So many great tracks, but that one's in a league of its own for me at the moment.
Next month, it might be something else, only time will tell...

If Eternity Should Fail without thinking it twice. The Book Of Souls is a really strong song but I rank it 2nd though.

It's one of the very few albums that I can't decide which is my clear favourite. IESF and TBoS are basically tied. Other such examples I can think of would be DoD/Paschendale, Powerslave/Rime, TETMD/SSoaSS... OK, I'm voting for the title track, because of its original first riff, a stronger chorus and the best melody on the album (pre-chorus).

Empire of the Clouds. And not a bandwagon/hype-train thing. From the very first chord it captured me.

Gone for Eternity in the end. I love Empire, but Eternity is getting far more repeat plays here.

Empire has been my favorite since I first heard it, but TBOS has been steadily gaining on it. The vocal melodies are so good!

The Great Unknown was my instant favourite after the the first playthrough of the album and still is after plenty of listens later. I especially love the marvellous intro and outro, and the start of the solo combined with the riffing underneath gives me goosebumps everytime. I love the main parts, too. Even Bruce's slightly strained vocals during the higher parts cannot prevent me from rating it 10/10.

If it didn't copy Losfer Words and Montségur so much, I could agree with you. Since the song is not that original I have trouble with putting it so high on a pedestal, far above the other songs.

The title track. I have waited and listened to the whole album in vague hope something's gonna jump over it, but no. From the ominous intro, to the killer intro riff, to the cathartic chorus, to that kickstart at aroung 5:50, to that small variation it the riff, heard when you compare about 7:20 with about 9:20 (or am I just deaf? I could swear there's a difference!). It's just pure Janick-ness. TRATB and SOTV come close, but right now I'm sure.

On my first listen I thought it was interesting that If Eternity Should Fail was chosen for the opener over Speed Of Light, a song that is up-tempo, and more in line with Maiden's album openers traditionally. As the week went on though, Eternity is the track that I sing along to, the tune I hum when there's quiet. The subtle hook of this track is unlike any Maiden track I've heard in a very long time.
I now feel it's actually the perfect opener for this album. Maiden's prog leanings over the last few albums have been experimental, but now this is their honed and perfected sound, and If Eternity Should Fail is a statement to this fact right up front.
The album's so deep though, I'm sure I'll find other favourites down the track.

Empire of the Clouds for me. It succeeds spectacularly in telling the story that it set out to tell, and for me, is one of the most unique and beautiful songs in the Maiden catalogue.

Back