Moonchild

How good is Moonchild on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
A

Anonymous

Here, you can read other visitors' comments on 'Moonchild' as well as post your own. Any contribution to the commentary will be much appreciated, may it be cultural references relevant to the song (links to related websites, interpretations that may have been overlooked in the Commentary, and the like) or personal essays related to the topic of the song. Just be aware that messages that are either off-topic or too wacky may be deleted.

'moonchild'

This is one of the best album openers ever along with Aces High. Maiden couldn't have had a song that could set up the mystical and mysterious mood the album carries better than Moonchild. The solos also fit the mood of the song and are very good.

Stranger's definitive rating: 5 stars.

'moonchild'

I'd agree to that, a wonderful opener for a wonderful album. Still it doesn't get five stars, since I can't give six stars for SSOASS...

'moonchild'

A truely great song, indeed. Probably the heaviest on the album. I really love the Seven Deadly Sins intro, even though the synths after it go on a little thick... Oh well, still a great listen every time. 5/5

'moonchild'

Love the intro, an awesome album opener I'd say the second best first track on an album of all time. interesting to note that its (smith & Dickinson) and not steve!

'moonchild'

Four stars from me, a great opener indeed. Adrian displays his unique energy and drive, as well as his sense of shifting and keeping attention. Superb. Bruce sings and yells great.

I've just read the highly interesting essay on the content of the song. I have nothing to add except that I've checked out the satanist websites. And I agree with one of the statements I found: Satan [!--emo&:angry:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/mad.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'mad.gif\' /][!--endemo--] is the best friend the church has ever had, as he has kept it in business all these years!

'moonchild'

Great song, and a perfect opener for the album - 4.5 stars.

One question about the lyrics, which I don't think is mentioned by the Commentary: 'Babylon, the scarlet whore', is (I think) supposed by many to represent the city of Rome.
Cf. Revelations, ch.18: "Babylon the great is fallen, and is become the habitation of devils........Alas, alas, that great city Babylon, that mighty city!"

However, I don't know how this would fit into the theme of the song at all, and I might be completely wrong anyway. I'd be interested if anyone else knew any more about this.

Re: 'Moonchild'

Love the intro, love the lyrics, guitars and everything. An absolutely great opener to the best Maiden album. Not the best song of the album, but still this is one of my favorite songs and of course the best opener. 4.5/5

Great song, one of my all time favorites. I`ve noticed the part between the solos is pretty similar to the 2.58 - 3.11 part in Back In The Village.

Yeah, this is many times great song. Mainly I like lyrics, and Bruce's singing style. But what I definitely dislike is intro. When I listen to SSOSS album I just skip the first minute and half (or so) of album. Just the same as SIT.

This is one of my 3 favourtie Maiden openers along with Aces High and The Wicker Man. It sounded awesome on the SBIT tour as well. This and Infinite Dreams are my 2 favourites of 7th Son.

Daily Song: Moonchild

Welcome to the Daily Vote Thread! Rules are here.

Remember, only a decent review will count towards the contest.

Today's song: Moonchild

Yesterday's song remains open for voting! You can find it here.

I fucking love this song. Aside from Aces High, this is my favourite opener. This song fucking rocks. Bruce sounds great on it, Adrian tears up the world, Steve and Nick drive this song. Can't get enough of this track. 10/10.

Re: Daily Song: Moonchild

I love the way this builds up at the start then let's fly. Amazing vocals from Bruce and very well written lyrics. This track really grabs your attention and holds it. 9/10 but almost a 10.

this song is easily my favorite opener. Adrian's solo is godly and the lyrics are classic bruce

I really like the song, I do. But I rate the songs on Maiden scale, and there are much better songs...

7/10.

I love the acoustic opening and the build up before Bruce kicks in yet upon picking up a copy of this album soon after it was released I was somewhat dismayed by this opener and have never learned to love it.  To my ears  the Moonchild chorus, the solos and the riff between the solos do not live up to the standards set by the previous album. All up its quite a good song but I feel it flies under greatness throughout and never lands the killer blow, so to speak.

In a recent interview in guitar world Adrian said he was happy to give Janick the Moonchild solo on SBIT as he was never happy with his original version.

Btw, was fantastic on SBIT...a real highlight...

Its a good opener but not on par with the previous two openers - 7.

A promising beginning, pedestrian verses, a bad chorus and a forgettable instrumental section add up to the band’s most overrated song. Once it gets going, its got one speed and zero atmosphere. This is also where Bruce begins to abandon the clear, powerful sound of the air raid siren for the raspy affectations that plagued No Prayer. Five.

I love the build-up in the beginning, but in energy and strength of the chorus this song doesn't quite match the likes of certain other openers like Aces High, Futureal, Invaders or The Wicker Man.  A solid 8 though.

10/10. Easily, easily the very best opener of any Maiden album. From the acoustic intro to the thundering ending, this song does not peak below brilliant.

I love this track, I love this album.

Back