Moments you thought Maiden were ridiculous and embarrassing

I’m not into super campy stuff as a rule, but I think what makes Maiden’s campiness work for me is their absolute sincerity about it. They’re there to entertain and they know it. They know that the fans having a good time at a show is all that matters. So no matter how campy or goofy Iron Maiden ever get, they’re still “cool” to me and I could never find anything in light of that spirit to be embarrassed by.

I’m not into super campy stuff as a rule, but I think what makes Maiden’s campiness work for me is their absolute sincerity about it. They’re there to entertain and they know it. They know that the fans having a good time at a show is all that matters. So no matter how campy or goofy Iron Maiden ever get, they’re still “cool” to me and I could never find anything in light of that spirit to be embarrassed by.
Yeah they take the music bit seriously but aren't afraid to have fun on stage. They know some of the stage show is bordering on ridiculous, but that's what's great about it. Bruce running away with his hands in the air before Eddie blows up his cannon in HCW is perfectly goofy!

On the other hand, bands who take themselves too seriously are total cringe.

Some of Bruce's rants, but I would rather have cringy Bruce than angry Bruce from 2000.

True, even though you’ll probably agree with me those two sides of Bruce are fairly embarrassing.

The early 00s angry rants from a (non-tattooed) millionaire were nearly as pathetic as his criticism of Glastonbury festival as being middle class.

He took his first flying lessons whilst on holiday in the USA and he did record some stuff there, but most of the time he lived in the UK. A notable exception was some globetrotting in 1999/2000 (Arjen Lucassen mentioned this), allegedly trying to avoid getting a huge tax bill after they sold the royalties of the back catalogue to investors shortly before the reunion.

Edit: I think he holds dual British/American citizenship. At least that is what someone in the know posted some time ago on the official Fan Club forum.
I never knew they sold their publishing.

Oh ok, so more like they took out a loan and put up their publishing as collateral. The Blaze years must have been rough. They put out 2 series of re-issues then, the castle bonus discs, and then the re-masters.

Oh ok, so more like they took out a loan and put up their publishing as collateral. The Blaze years must have been rough. They put out 2 series of re-issues then, the castle bonus discs, and then the re-masters.
Nothing to do with how rough the blaze years were. The rest of the band were already likely multi millionaires by the time they decided to do this.

Loads of artists were doing this around the time and loads have done it since.

It’s basically a very tax efficient way of getting song writing credit royalties and publishing revenue upfront as a big lump sum rather than it trickling in over time.

I’m sure major song writers like Steve Bruce and Adrian would be getting hundreds of thousands a year for their song credits so I doubt they were hard up financially.

Nothing to do with how rough the blaze years were. The rest of the band were already likely multi millionaires by the time they decided to do this.

Loads of artists were doing this around the time and loads have done it since.

It’s basically a very tax efficient way of getting song writing credit royalties and publishing revenue upfront as a big lump sum rather than it trickling in over time.

I’m sure major song writers like Steve Bruce and Adrian would be getting hundreds of thousands a year for their song credits so I doubt they were hard up financially.
True, but Iron Maiden as an organization have lots of employees who go on tour with them that they have to pay. I had assumed that the tours with Blaze were not as profitable and they needed a loan to raise operating income for the then upcoming re-union tour with Bruce. That's just my assumption though and I may be flat out wrong.

True, but Iron Maiden as an organization have lots of employees who go on tour with them that they have to pay. I had assumed that the tours with Blaze were not as profitable and they needed a loan to raise operating income for the then upcoming re-union tour with Bruce. That's just my assumption though and I may be flat out wrong.
My understanding of this deal was that any money raised went straight to the band members themselves and not to the Maiden organisation.

I can’t see individual band members giving up royalties from songs if the money was going to the maiden company. They may have given a small amount towards costs of the Bruce reunion tours but the main reason they did it was to get years of royalties upfront. Tax savings plus the growth they could make investing the money and it’s a no brainier.

Loads of artists have done it over the years.

Back