Metallica

I’ve been throwing myself into the review things more and more these days, what more do you want from me? :innocent:

“Seek & Destroy” is repetitive, cheap early thrash that repeats itself too much and goes nowhere. Overrated.

Sorry, Diesel, I think you're biased. Welcome Home is essentially the same song as Fade to Black, but you gave one 10 and the other 8. I get that you feel elated by your new discovery of Master of Puppets, but I can't take that seriously.
Not that I take any ratings seriously, in fact.

Also, placing Fade to Black on par with Motorbreath, yeah, right.

Essentially. But the "Fear of living on..." part is immense. I didn't think Metallica ratings but I'd probably go full marks on both, or maybe go for 9 because One tops both of them.

Sorry, Diesel, I think you're biased. Welcome Home is essentially the same song as Fade to Black, but you gave one 10 and the other 8. I get that you feel elated by your new discovery of Master of Puppets, but I can't take that seriously.
Same structure, sure, but it’s the execution that counts. I’ve heard “Fade to Black” several times before now and I’ve never thought it was the best song, in fact quite overrated. It took me until now to even like it enough to give it an 8.

I’ve heard “Sanitarium” a lot before now too (as I have “Battery”, the title track, “Disposable Heroes”, “Leper Messiah”, and “Orion”) and I always liked it more. The thing with this Metallica run-through is that it’s less “discovery” and more of a “rediscovery”. I have heard a lot of these songs before, just not the albums in full, so if there’s a high here, it comes from finding out that something I couldn’t give the time of day a year ago is actually one of the best things I’ve ever heard.

Besides, I’ve given a lot of thought as to how to rate this shit and this is the best I came up with. “Fade to Black” bothers me due to how it seems to be building up to something but never reaches it, while “Sanitarium” does everything it sets out to do. “Leper Messiah” is no one’s choice for a favorite song, but I really like it. It’s kinda wonky at times in a good way, and there’s a lot of heavier parts that stand up against the rest of the album.

Also, I have heard “One”. I like it, and I think it may be stronger as a song than some of MOP, but I dunno if I’ll like it more. We’ll see.

Fixed. At least that is how I'd rank it today.
It's certainly in the conversation. It's definitely the best Metallica album, the best thrash album, and almost certainly the best American metal album. Can it compare to titans like Paranoid, Heaven & Hell, The Number of the Beast, Stained Class, among others? It definitely holds its own there.

Not that I take any ratings seriously, in fact.
This is actually what keeps the album below Ride the Lightning for me. A lot of it just feels like the previous album retreaded. Sure the production and performances are better on Puppets, but I’d take most of the songs Lightning over their counterparts. Fade to Black is miles ahead of Sanitarium, Ktulu is better than Orion, Creeping Death over Damage Inc no question, etc. Not that I dislike any of those songs. It’s still a great album, but definitely not a 9 or 10.

However, the Battery - Master of Puppets 1-2 punch is incredible and probably the best thing Metallica did.

Back