Metallica

l

people don't watch Metallica at festivals and go back to the campsite instead. I find thi
I ain't yet never seen them but my brother is/was a hardcore fan. Metallica was No.1 and Maiden were No.2, always. He has seen them 15 times or more, first time being 1996 or so and he says they have got worse over the years, he actually left before the end of the set the last time he seen them (Sonisphere 2014 I think). Totally surprised me that he did that, considering his long term love. He said they were not good enough to make him stay. Maiden are now his No.1 because, he says, objectively, they haven't let the performance levels slip whereas Metallica have.

I prefer James because I think he gets on the audience's level more. When I saw them back in 2017 James was always having banter with the crowd, getting up close, setting aside ten minutes to talk and interact with us, asking people how many shows they'd been to etc.

When I saw Iron Maiden though, there was nothing really like that. Of course Bruce talks to the crowd, but it's always just a general speech for each show with nothing more personal. I also noticed that the members weren't looking at the audience members in the eyes so much, as if they found it awkward (Robert Trujillo on the other hand sat on the barrier and let us grab him and take selfies for comparison). It was if they just wanted to let the stage do the work, which obviously there's nothing wrong with at all and it's truly a great experience, I just prefer Metallica's way.

Aye, there's a big difference between Maiden and Metallica's approach live. Cant say one is better than another, just different. I'd say Bruce has got worse recently, I hate his chat between songs, the fact that he says the same thing every night and the guff before Children of the Damned on the last album tour was cringe-worthy as fuck.
Anyway, im impressed with the recent live Metallica stuff, crackin version of Blackened on the youtube

I prefer James because I think he gets on the audience's level more. When I saw them back in 2017 James was always having banter with the crowd, getting up close, setting aside ten minutes to talk and interact with us, asking people how many shows they'd been to etc.

When I saw Iron Maiden though, there was nothing really like that. Of course Bruce talks to the crowd, but it's always just a general speech for each show with nothing more personal. I also noticed that the members weren't looking at the audience members in the eyes so much, as if they found it awkward (Robert Trujillo on the other hand sat on the barrier and let us grab him and take selfies for comparison). It was if they just wanted to let the stage do the work, which obviously there's nothing wrong with at all and it's truly a great experience, I just prefer Metallica's way.
I mean, I really, really like the idea of "letting the stage do the work", it makes everything seem more theatrical and takes the show to the next level, and it makes you think you're seeing a "show" as opposed to "a bunch of guys playing songs". But to each his own. I much prefer Maiden's way, but Metallica are still one of the biggest bands in metal and they've obviously been doing something right all these years despite their massive missteps along the way.

I'd say Bruce has got worse recently, I hate his chat between songs, the fact that he says the same thing every night
His LOTB speeches were awesome, though. I think this is the tour that he finally nailed his approach to introducing songs.

Absolutely, it's all subjective really. I could go on forever about their differences but it just comes down to preferences at the end of the day. I'll always have a soft spot for Metallica because they got me into metal

despite their massive missteps along the way.

I think that just sums up the hate Metallica gets though. Of course I completely agree that Metallica have not had the smoothest ride, and that is their own fault, but Iron Maiden arent exactly squeky clean either but we don't attack nearly as much, if at all

Lars sings Priest song ''Delivering The Goods'' on tour rehearsal, I guess. :lol: Around 7:44 minutes in the video below.

Last edited:
Okay, Kill 'Em All is much better with a second listen, but I still don't think it'll ever be a favorite of mine.

What is your favorite song on the album atm?
"The Four Horsemen". I could listen to that one by itself and basically get all I need from the album. That's not to say there aren't good moments elsewhere, but y'know. Before these two listens I'd actually already heard every song outside of "Motorbreath", "Phantom Lord", and "Metal Militia" at least once, so it's not like this is the first time for a lot of them. But "The Four Horsemen" has always been the one I came back to most from it, and that's unlikely to change.

Back