Metallica

Discussion in 'Music Discussion' started by Night Prowler, Jan 9, 2012.

1. SixesAlltheway

SixesAlltheway (slow heavy metal music playing)

Hm no. Tenacious D were a TV series on HBO to begin with. Supported by rock celebrities within the industry, turned into a movie and then pushed out on the road during which they performed as the two main characters of the movie. Not unlike Glee, a TV series also pushed by the industy, that turned into a concert tour where members of the original cast perfomed in character of the show.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glee_Live!_In_Concert!

Last edited: Jan 20, 2019
  2. The Flash

The Flash Dennis Wilcock did 9/11

Wrong. Look up their history. They were playing bars in LA years before getting a TV deal with HBO.

3. SixesAlltheway

OK fine, the rest still stands.

4. The Flash

Doesn't matter. You asserted that they weren't a band and they clearly are.

5. SixesAlltheway

6. SixesAlltheway

If I say there were an amateur bar band pushed by the industry will it make you happy? :p

7. Diesel 11

Diesel 11 As you scream into the web of silence...

What the fuck is this doing in the Metallica thread?

8. Niall Kielt

Niall Kielt Pulled Her At The Bottle Top

What the fuck are you doin in the Metallica thread?

Diesel 11 and Black Wizard like this.
  9. Black Wizard

Black Wizard Cereal Litigator

Good point Diesel. Can you rank all the Metallica songs to get us back on topic?

KidInTheDark666 likes this.
  10. The Flash

Sure but it doesn't mean much in relation to your original point regarding Jack Black getting up on stage to talk about rock 'n' roll.

11. SixesAlltheway

Tenacious D once supported Metallica. There, back on track :lol:. I'll happily say they are a real band if people will shut up :p

12. SixesAlltheway

Jack Black having once played a few LA bars once back who knows when really doesn't give him much credit :p He's still an actor first and foremost.

13. Diesel 11

I need to finish listening to all of Metallica's stuff, but St. Anger runs together so things aren't looking good.

14. The Flash

Having embarked on tour after tour, having supported many hugely successful rock acts, recording studio albums does though.

This isn't too complicated. Industry pushed him is not a viable argument, industry pushes everyone that they deem marketable.

15. Black Wizard

Do you mean that it all blends into one?

16. Diesel 11

Yeah, more or less. If you do want a discography discussion, I could pull a Knickerbocker and go through each album one step at a time.

17. SixesAlltheway

Still more of a show than a band. Like Glee. If you're out there performing a character from a televison series or a movie, it's a show.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2019
  18. Black Wizard

You can do that if you want. Totally up to you.

I see what you mean about 'St. Anger' blending together too much. There are some nice ideas but the execution is, to put it lightly, poor. Someone actually covered the entire album with decent production. It's on YouTube somewhere.

Diesel 11 likes this.
  19. Diesel 11

I've enjoyed listening to the Ghost albums three times to let the music sink in and expand on me and I think Metallica would be just the kind of band to try that same concept with. To be honest, the only albums I've heard in full from them are St. Anger and Lulu, but I've heard quite a lot of individual tracks so I'm not exactly a noob, so to speak. If no one minds I think it may be an interesting way to stir up discussion and see some things from a non-fan POV. Plus it's a good way to continue the 365 albums thing.

20. LooseCannon

LooseCannon Yorktown-class aircraft carrier Staff Member

I'm more like "I'd listen to the entire Metallica discography, but St. Anger exists."

Mosh and Diesel 11 like this.