Metallica

The drum accents over the chorus are not quite on time in live version, in studio they are. No Leaf Clover is one of the best 1990s Metallica songs, if not the best.

The "suicide would be better than this" comment is hyperbole btw, listening to St. Anger isn't the worst thing ever and in a sense it's kind of... enjoyable because it's so bad.

BUT IT'S SO STUPID!!! :mad:

Agreed, it's a huge hit for them for some reason, maybe even their 2nd most well known track among non-metal types, but it's pure rubbish.

I wouldn't go as far as saying it is pure rubbish, but in my humble opinion it is definitely played too often by the band when they have loads of much better songs. A bit like Sanctuary for Iron Maiden.

Metallica sits in a weird place for me. I really want to like them a lot more than I actually do. I want to be enthused by Hardwired and there's some killer songs but something about the guitar tone seems soft to me, I hate James's voice since The Black Album, and it's really hard to get moved by the constant wah-wah guitar solos and Lars Drumming. Is there anyone else that feels this way about a band? Like, you respect them a great deal and you actually want to be a fan but just...can't...break...through? Maybe the obvious answer is "well then don't listen to them," but that's not helpful. I don't listen to millions of bands because they suck. Metallica doesn't suck.

James's voice became good in the Black album era and it has been great ever since.
To each their own. I prefer his old raspy scream and hate the excessive “whoahs” and “yeas!” And “oooh” he puts after every syllable. Also his singing voice rubs me the wrong way. He’s a great vocalist, I just don’t like his voice.

The idea is to focus on the things you like, and see if that can push out those things you do not like. If you can't absolutely live through an technically incompetent vocalist you won't get into Megadeth, simple as that. Besides drumming on Metallica albums (bar StShit) isn't bad at all.

there anyone else that feels this way about a band? Like, you respect them a great deal and you actually want to be a fan but just...can't...break...through?

Judas Priest and Rush for me. I actually like them but I can put on one of their albums and within 2 minutes my mind wanders and before I know it the album is over. If that makes any sense.

Is there anyone else that feels this way about a band? Like, you respect them a great deal and you actually want to be a fan but just...can't...break...through?

Kind of. I think Chuck Schuldiner is an absolutely incredible guitarist and I want to like Death to appreciate him, but I just don't like death metal.

Back