Metallica

St. Anger is Metallica's midlife crisis. Important for them to make at the time and get all of their emotions and anger out - but not very listenable for anybody else.

First listen of Death Magnetic complete. God, it's so fucking long. Probably the bleeriest album yet. A big step up from the previous record, certainly, but it isn't as interesting as it was. This one's more focused, but nothing sticks out for me. It's like AJFA Pt. II but without the really good songs. I dunno, I hope it grows.

I’ll have to watch it. I got it for free as part of the vip package at the concert. Haven’t bothered with it yet.

'Death Magnetic' is a dull and overrated album. I agree with everything Diesel said. It's too long and a clear attempt to make up for 'St. Anger' which, for all its faults, at least had some good ideas. When 'Death Magnetic' was released it received widespread praise and adulation. This was unjustified in my opinion and substantially down to 'Death Magnetic' not being 'St. Anger'. If Metallica had released 'Death Magnetic' after 'And Justice For All' I suspect the general reaction would have been "what is this shit?" Instead it was treated like some sort of glorious comeback album when it's really just an overcompensation for a shambolic previous album. 'The Day That Never Comes' is one of my favourite Metallica songs though, but the rest of the album just blends into one long, relentless, heavy-for-the-sake-of-it barrage of bland Metallica.

I almost feel bad for Metallica because they can’t win. St Anger is one of the most hated Metal albums ever and was the culmination in what I felt was a long line of creative missteps. Death Magnetic is a return to form, what the hardcore fans have been clamoring for, and it was welcomed with a (well deserved) meh.

It’s probably why they don’t make music that often anymore.

I'd say HTSD was relatively well received, both in the press and by the fans. I even saw people who are very much in the "lol Metallica" camp admit they rather enjoyed songs like Spit Out the Bone so it definitely felt more like a success than Death Magnetic. Which was basically hailed as a return to form for the first few months and then erased from history - see the same reviewers who praised DM as being the best Metallica album since 1988 say the exact same thing about HTSD.

Yknow, the more I listen to St. Anger, two things seem to happen: it gets worse but it also gets more interesting. I meant every word I said in my post on it (including the score) but because it’s so bad, that’s kind of what makes it fun to come back to. There’s no way it’ll be a good album, but that’s why I think I’ll be returning to it more often than, say, KEA and Reload, which are just mostly bland.

I get what you're saying. St. Anger is awful, but somehow I'd be more likely to go back to it than going back to Load and Reload, despite finding both of them superior to it.

Back